Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bert has been made a moderator?
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 13:38
Bert has been made a moderator?

I looked over the last several year's worth of moderation of EM last night after getting this status. They gave me the chance to moderate EM because users here have BURNED OUT several VERY good people- With little lasting improvement to show for their efforts.

They say the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over while expecting a different result. Let's try something different with me?

I've a theory EM can be largely self teaching/policeing with the right attitude on the part of the users and minimal steering on the moderator(s) part(s). If I'm right, I'll be around a while. If I'm terribly wrong about how GOOD YOU PEOPLE CAN BE IF YOU REALLY TRY, I will not have to suffer long before going on to something else.

I am not going to spoon feed answers, I will NEVER give anyone a cookbook recipe.

There is plenty of information here, all it costs is your time to look for it.

If you can't find an answer, or don't understand the explanation- Then ask politely, including a statement of exactly how and where you have searched. Include links, names of books, articles and threads. Short quotes from these as needed to explain your questions.

NO ONE will abuse or slang another over a polite and properly documented question. Not more than once...

If you know a subject well enough to see a question as trivial, GREAT! You can easily guide the questioner, and it will REALLY prove how well you have learned.

I'm going to mostly just watch. I may start to delegate, if some here get into the spirit of this. The senior moderators will certainly notice who is an asset, and hopefully give you my job-

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

copperastic
Hazard to Others

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 13:43

Bert, I like your quote.

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 14:39

Quote: Originally posted by copperastic  
Bert, I like your quote.

Glad you like it, I stole it from a Terry Pratchett book, "Moving Pictures"

Now, what do you know well enough about EM or other science & technology subjects that you could teach? :D

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

copperastic
Hazard to Others

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 15:23

Me? If so I don't know that much, ive got a lot of learning ahead.

Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 15:43

Great, this forum could use all the moderation it can get. Congrats.
[EDIT] I know you specialize in EM, but should this not be in Forum Matters?

[Edited on 2-4-2014 by Zyklonb]

Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 16:42

Perhaps, in a logical world where everyone read the stickys and carefully followed forum policies.

But we don't live in THAT world. EM is where I likely will be spending the most time, and I thought my gentle suggestion that the EM denizens take a larger part in policing the area really needed to be where it would be seen quickly.

elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 16:57

A bit off topic, but my tuppence:

I think the OP's point should be extended to the whole forum. While spoonfeeding is wrong, "UTFSE" is even worse, fostering a culture of arrogance where we believe that because they are members, they should already know everything about being a member.

Of course, if everyone carefully followed forum policies, no one could pass the Turing Test. Curse this individuality!

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 17:52

Quote: Originally posted by elementcollector1  
Curse this individuality
I AM DYSLEXIA OF BORG! FUTILITY IS RESISTANT!! YOUR ASS WILL BE LAMINATED!!!

(sorry, you KNOW how I get sometimes)

Now go forth and teach the gospel of the good mad scientists, my son!

All kidding asside, the attitude of the community will make or break a forum. Let's see what we can do.

[Edited on 3-4-2014 by Bert]

Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 3-4-2014 at 04:45

Oh good, you must be the guy I need to talk to about getting the latest version of the Topical Compendium of EM updated from the discussion thread.

Can you edit this post into the compendium? (Goodness gracious I hate that word. I think I will change it to the "Index of Energetic Materials" in the next revision or something...)

I have several updates to make which I have been working on. I will have another revision sometime in the next few weeks.

Oh yes, congratulations. And please, thank you, et cetera. Where are my manners?

Prax

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 3-4-2014 at 04:50

Bert, great that you are willing to help us with moderating the forums and that you put special emphsis on the EM-section. Indeed, that section needs some guidance, more even so than the other sections and it is good to see that someone with knowledge and experience in that field is willing to help us.

I also like your new way of thinking about how to moderate this section. Let's see how the members respond to this. Together (all of us, not only the moderators) we can make a nice community out of this!

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Dany
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-4-2014 at 05:01

wish you all the best, Bert...

Dany.
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 3-4-2014 at 10:51

Quote: Originally posted by Dany  
wish you all the best, Bert

Man, don't ask me about Ernie. Don't know where he's at, haven't seen him for years...

bertkillsernie.jpg - 122kB

[Edited on 8-3-2018 by Bert]

SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 22-4-2014 at 20:40

Touche, danny! Welcome, Bert. All in good jest. Thanks for the civility you showed me on my previous post (Castle Bravo). It helped me to feel a little more hope-full about my post, when all it takes are a couple cynical posts in a row to put off well intentioned contributors. And even though such posts can be almost mindless, and of VERY low order, even the bite of the most diseased and pathetic rat can indeed effect morale negatively.

There's nothing wrong with low brow, IMO. I loved watching Louie C.K. and Larry David years ago. Its when the true intentions are corrosive, and, I am convinced, pander to some very smart people here. They post a lot, sometimes. Show offs. It's like a clique. And I believe that has no place here, but that's my own opinion. "Aristocratic slighting against the poorly educated"' I don't care if you are a super moderator. If you are a member, and have a pattern of conveying such bad intentions, its time for you to move on and maybe OD on some of your fentanyl. Sorry - I feel very strongly against corrosive and anti social behavior, especially of the insidious type, perfected by some of the smarter, more intelligent miserable. Humor is good. Humor at people's expense, and for it's own sake just isn't. My hope, Bert, is that you agree with some of my administrative ideals. Thanks.

A

[Edited on 23-4-2014 by SM2]

[Edited on 23-4-2014 by SM2]

"Old men who speak of victory
shed light upon their stolen life
they - drive by night- and act as if they're
moved by unheard music." B. Currie
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 21:29

Once again, Spring (and very soon Summer!) is coming to the northern hemisphere.

I will be extremely busy over the next 6 months or so, and often in areas without good internet connectivity.

I would like to ask the regular EM denizens to help in directing moderator attention towards anything out of bounds here in EM- Over the summer, I will be checking my work email much more frequently than I will have time look at sciencemadness.org U2U messages. So if there is an issue needing moderator attention ASAP, please first use the "report" button, then if the issue is not dealt with quickly- send me an email as well.

bert@hollywoodpyrotechnics.com

Be safe out there-

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 21:51

Enjoy your time as much as you can Bert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAxARJyaTEA

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.

Go To Top