Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Diethyl Zinc possible synthsis?
Steam
Hazard to Others

Mood: Triple Point

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 05:37
Diethyl Zinc possible synthsis?

I am looking to synthesize Diethyl Zinc and after doing a little bit of preliminary googling I found this: http://www.orgsyn.org/demo.aspx?prep=CV2P0184
I am wondering if this is a legitimate procedure for the prep of Diethyl Zinc, also if anyone has done this exprment or has synthesized Diethyl Zinc themselves?

Nota benne, I know about the pyrophoric behavior of Diethyl Zinc and I am equipped to handle this compund in an inert environment.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
thesmug
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 06:11

Orgsyn is a very trusted website. I wouldn't doubt this procedure.
TheChemiKid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 07:01

I second thesmug, Orgsyn is very well known and trusted. I have found some great syntheses there.

When the police come

\( * O * )/ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'̵͇̿̿з=༼ ▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿ ༽
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 11:50

It's The Bible.
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 12:09

J. H. Gladstone
The Copper-Zinc Couple and its Effects

http://books.google.com/books?id=kAYAAAAAMAAJ&pg=RA1-PA1...

Several years back I was interested in the copper-zinc couple, and tried different things with it. I tried a Barbier type reaction using a few drops
of isopropyl bromide and acetone in a test tube. The reaction was pretty vigorous with slight heating and sonication in the ultrasonic cleaner tank.

One thing you could try with this would be the addition of heated ultrasonic agitation. It may enable you to use 100% ethyl bromide instead of the
(more expensive) ethyl iodide. The use of ultrasonics tends to keep the surface of the couple clean and minimize the deleterious effects of moisture.

[Edited on 4-9-2014 by WGTR]
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 12:31

Quote: Originally posted by Steam  
Nota benne, I know about the pyrophoric behavior of Diethyl Zinc and I am equipped to handle this compund in an inert environment.

Given that this is obviously the first time you hear about the Organic syntheses journal, I'm pretty much confident that you are bluffing about your abilities to safely deal with such hazardous chemicals. Nobody who has any experience in organic synthesis could remain oblivious of Organic syntheses. And nobody who does not have sufficient experience should deal with highly pyrophoric materials.

If you play with fire...

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
ProChem
Harmless

Mood: Cynical

[*] posted on 14-4-2014 at 12:20

I have been an organic chemist for 30 years and not once did I need to or want to make my own diethyl ether. I recommend going to Sigma Aldrich and download the bulletin on handling pyrophoric chemicals. Every time I used this material I had a face shield, fireproof lab coat, rubber gloves (not the disposable ones which are too thin) and a class D fire extinguisher. I use stainless steel cannula, gastight syringe, nitrogen to fill the void by drawing out the solution from the bottle.

Go To Top