Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Black powder rockets and fireworks
hyfalcon
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-4-2014 at 11:42

When you try substituting nitrates, check them for being hygroscopic. I know sodium nitrate is so dry it well before use and then don't store your firework long at all. Use it.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 13-4-2014 at 12:08

certain fire works are aloud in my area, but none that fly, boom or shoot (roman candle). doesn't leave one much room but colors and spark showers. fine by me. but as far as I know there is no law against model rockets. any damages incurred by starting a fire in the miles and miles of dry grass, however will be punishable.
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 13-4-2014 at 12:21

Quote: Originally posted by copperastic  
How could I launch fireworks if i live in an area were you need a permit?
Thanks

Get a permit of course. That is, if you want to do it legally.

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 13-4-2014 at 12:34

This does belong in "beginnings" for now... Anything without a balanced reaction and referances or good lab notes does.

You need to know that Barium and Strontium nitrates have 2 possible decomposition reactions.

If you are not using a metallic high temperature fuel, you will not be able to use all the Oxygen.

Read on Oxidizers in Takeio Shimizu's Fireworks: The Art, Science and Technique. In the section on materials, you will find the possible decomposition reactions.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Bert
Super Administrator
Threads Merged
13-4-2014 at 12:36
Bert
Super Administrator
Threads Merged
13-4-2014 at 12:38
copperastic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-4-2014 at 05:19

I know but would the police be mad if i did it in the countryside? I am not 18 so I can't get a license.

hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2014 at 05:26

Private property with some acreage say 5-10 with permission of the property owner. This being said I don't know what part of the country you live in so your local ordinances may and will vary by state or county as the case may be.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 14-4-2014 at 08:27

1st off, unless we know what state you're in, we can't tell you what the laws are.

2nd, there is certainly an amateur rocketry group in your state. They will know non fireworks rocketry laws. Go here and look for a local group:
http://www.nar.org/NARseclist.php

3rd, the county or city/town you are in issues fireworks permits. Call your county clerk or city clerk, the same people issue the permits as take fees for any other permitted activity.

You will CERTAINLY need a permit inside an incorporated area (city, town). A few states do not require a permit, many do not require a state fireworks operator's license to use consumer fireworks.

Go here and see what local groups are in your area, contact them for information too.
http://www.fireworksalliance.org/cgi-bin/viewpage.pl?p=orgs

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Zyklon-A
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2014 at 09:10

Quote: Originally posted by weeksie98  
Incorrect molar ratios will also lead to formation of undesired sulfides, may be something simple to double check when using 2+ cations like Ba or Sr. According to another forum, Ba(NO3)2 compositions are slightly sensitive to shock.

Yep, barium nitrate tends to be more sensitive to shock than potassium nitrate. Although simple stoichiometry can make the black powder nearly the same, it will be slightly off. The reason, I think is because the decomposition of KNO3 and Ba(NO3)2 require different amounts of energy, and the formation of BaSO4 and K2SO4 will give out different amounts of energy, and K2CO3 and BaO + CO2 respectively.

Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 14-4-2014 at 09:38

When making a statement on a property of a chemical or mixture, it would be nice to include a source atribution, a link to your source or some other expalanation of the information's source such as how you experimented and determined these properties?

Quote: Originally posted by Zyklonb  
Quote: Originally posted by weeksie98  
Incorrect molar ratios will also lead to formation of undesired sulfides, may be something simple to double check when using 2+ cations like Ba or Sr. According to another forum, Ba(NO3)2 compositions are slightly sensitive to shock.

Yep, barium nitrate tends to be more sensitive to shock than potassium nitrate.

Zyklon-A
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2014 at 10:39

That statement was guided only by my own personal experience. Barium nitrate flash powder is the only flash powder which I have successfully detonated via hammer test or other shock. (with the exception of chlorates and/or sulfur containing mixtures).

copperastic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-4-2014 at 11:50

Does anyone here live in Wisconsin and knows how to get a license?

Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 14-4-2014 at 14:05

1: See Shimizu's FAST p.319, 320 for drop hammer & friction tests of flash mixtures. I linked to this earlier.

2: Wisconsin has no state fireworks operator's license.

You pull the permit from town or city, in unincorporated areas, from township. You'll need to be 18 to pull a permit, parents will need to do that for you. Proof of insurance isn't required by state law, cities or towns may have their own requirement.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-4-2014 at 04:50

I've got loads and loads of used printer rolls, OD 30 mm, H 55 mm, wall thickness about 2.5 mm. Genuine Kraft paper and seriously strong. Would these be of any value to a fireworks amateur?

Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 16-4-2014 at 10:32

The tubes are certainly useable for that purpose- Are they convolute or spiral wound? If convolute, these would be suitable for several other pyrotechnic uses as well.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-4-2014 at 07:47

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
The tubes are certainly useable for that purpose- Are they convolute or spiral wound? If convolute, these would be suitable for several other pyrotechnic uses as well.

Spiral, by the looks of it.

You think those dimensions could be attractive to pyrofolk?

Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 17-4-2014 at 08:19

Don't know how long they are, but amateur pyros are known to dive into trash dumpsters for a likely looking cardboard tube. I certainly did when I was new to the field!

Spiral tubes are usually reserved for reports, salute cases, firecrackers etc.

The spiral lap on the inside often allows fire to travel down the side of a pressed or rammed fuel grain and leads to a CATO , so these are not usually considered suitable for rockets, wheel drivers or similar uses.

Convolute tubes are chosen for rocket motors and similar applications.

copperastic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-4-2014 at 08:42

Is there a way to make an aerial salute shell thing (A hollow sphere at the top with black powder and stars And an engine at the bottom) Without it exploding because thats illegal in my city. Also has anyone made any fireworks that stay on the ground because thats all i could do in my city.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-4-2014 at 09:04

Bert:

They are 55 mm long, 33 mm OD.

Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 17-4-2014 at 09:45

Is there a way to make an aerial salute shell thing (A hollow sphere at the top with black powder and stars And an engine at the bottom) Without it exploding because thats illegal in my city. Also has anyone made any fireworks that stay on the ground because thats all i could do in my city.

You're in Wisconsin, correct?

Look up these people, if your parents are OK with you learning pyrotechnic construction. They do hands on training at some of their meetings, and pull permits so members can use fireworks- ALL kinds of fireworks.

http://www.wpag.us

Additionally, the PGII convention is in Iowa this August. You will need to have your folks sign you up for that, if you'd like to attend. Lots of hands on classes there, and lots of open shooting for members.

http://www.pgi.org/convention/overview.php

In the meantime, the Shimizu FAST book I linked to explains aerial shell construction pretty well.

crazyboy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Marginally insane

[*] posted on 17-4-2014 at 10:08

I rolled my own tubes out of printer paper, glue sticks or thinned Elmers glue works fine. (For rockets ~1.5cm ID)
copperastic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-4-2014 at 10:24

Thanks bert.

copperastic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-4-2014 at 11:14

Bert do you know how to join?

Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 17-4-2014 at 12:07

Bert do you know how to join?

The first step would be looking at the linked sites. Membership information is there-

copperastic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-4-2014 at 06:21
class B fireworks

Hi, I was reading this page http://www.wpag.us/shooters_cert.htm
and it says that you ca use class b fireworks. What are class b fireworks? I looked it up but found nothing.
Thanks
P.S. I posted this twice because i did it once in beginnings but it occurred to me that it should be in energetic materials.

Bert
Super Administrator
Threads Merged
18-4-2014 at 06:50
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 18-4-2014 at 07:28

Remember, free information on the internet is often worth EXACTLY what you paid for it!

--------------------------

Class "B" Special Fireworks is an obsolete US DOT classification, used for shipping papers and put on boxes or other outer packages of fireworks, the purpose being to let anyone who saw the item know what kind of a hazard it represented (like firemen or police approaching a crashed truck with the boxes spilled all over the road...) Fireworks people had the habit of calling all the larger fireworks that required a federal license "B". Older fireworks people still use the term, but it's not acceptable on shipping papers or packages anymore.

Hazardous material labeling is now standardized by the UN world wide, rather than each country having their own system.

The items formerly known as "B" are now called 1.3G Fireworks, or just "1.3" for short. Some of the larger shells and cases of bulk salutes are called 1.1G, and consumer fireworks anyone can buy without a federal license are 1.4G. (The obsolete US DOT term for consumer fireworks was Class "C").

When I fill out bill of lading, I refer to the professional grade display fireworks as:

UN0335 Fireworks 1.3G Packaging Group II

-or-

UN0333 Fireworks 1.1G Packaging Group II
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top