Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Science in School = Zero tolerance
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 13:44
Science in School = Zero tolerance

http://www.infowars.com/teacher-suspended-as-students-scienc...

Teacher Suspended As Student’s Science Projects Deemed To Be “Imitation Weapons”

"Students at a public high school in Los Angeles are campaigning for Unified School District officials to reinstate a popular teacher after he was suspended when two of his students submitted science projects that administrators said resembled guns.

The LA Times reports that Greg Schiller, was sentence to “teacher jail” (with pay) in February from the Grand Arts High School for “supervising the building, research and development of imitation weapons,” according to administrators.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-teacher-suspende...

As part of a science fair, one student created an “air cannon” that was capable of propelling small objects, while another put together an electromagnetic battery powered “coil gun”. The former was designed to be operated using air pressure. However, no source of air pressure was ever connected to the device, so it could not have been “fired”.

The device was reportedly similar to one that fired marshmallows in 2012 as part of a White House Science Fair. The horror. When administrators investigated, they impounded the device as “evidence,” and also confiscated the “coil gun”.

Mr Schiller was removed from his position after a school employee saw the air pressure project and told officials that it looked like a scary weapon. Schiller himself says that he never saw the completed project and had only seen blueprints and photos.

“As far as we can tell, he’s being punished for teaching science,” said Warren Fletcher, president of United Teachers Los Angeles.

Students and parents have taken to social media to organize a rally and a petition to get Schiller back into the classroom.

“The class is now essentially a free period,” Advanced Placement psychology student Liana Kleinman told reporters. “The sub does not have a psych background and can’t help us with the work.”

Schiller himself, who says he has not received an official explanation for his suspension, has warned that his students are suffering from the knee jerk reaction by administrators. “This is really hurting my students more than anything else,” he said. “I would never do anything to set up a situation where a student could be harmed.”

This is another example of ludicrous ‘zero tolerance’ policy in action. In schools around the country, students continue to be suspended for doing anything that can be remotely related to weapons, including pointing fingers like a gun, using a pencil to imitate a gun, or even biting food into a gun-like shape. Legislation to prevent such over the top reactions has been gaining ground in several states."

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 14:10

There is still hope: My physics teacher last year let me do a research project on modeling the fluid dynamics of potato cannons.

My advice: don't be unfortunate enough to attend a school with "zero tolerance."

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
roXefeller
Hazard to Others

Mood: 220 221 whatever it takes

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 17:28
Please keep the learning of weapons to the experts.

They're the experts, they went through all that education to become experts. Crap, that sounds like circular logic. Dang it, just stop asking and trust me. ;)
numos
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 20:16

I took part in the Los Angelos County Science Fair a few weeks ago, I suppose it depends on wording of the project as well as who views it.

I was very fortunate, my teacher was unaware of the specifics of my project as I did it as a solo, not as part of class. But I'm fairly thankful for my teacher, she's a biology-based teacher and my project was on liquid crystal displays, and she went right along with it. Got third place in my category, I suppose that's not too bad. :)

Still the suspended teacher seems like a case where a law to "protect the students" took a bit of a backfire, and I feel it's very likely he will be pardoned.

Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 20:24

Wow, that is sad news in the OP. I remember in my high school physics class, we made pneumatic tennis ball launchers at home for a project, and some students made simple electric solenoid actuating mechanisms for firing. We even had combustion chambers on some, and I keep telling myself it really wasn't that long ago... yet. I was lucky enough that my physics and chemistry teachers all had PhD's and academic research or industry experience. Without them, I wouldn't have gone into the sciences.

One of my older friends is a retired high school chemistry teacher. He left teaching because of this kind of thing, and it has deleteriously impacted the public school at which he taught. I remember when I was taking organic in college, I had a random question I couldn't remember how to solve... and he thought it over for maybe 3 minutes and gave me the exact answer. That is the kind of teacher you need in high school!
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 20:46

when I was in HS, the physics students in my grade made and fired air cannons in the quad. then competed for distance( with supervision ). I don't remember them shooting tennis balls either. pretty sure it was pumpkin bits and potato slugs. the teacher, monitored the PSI for the one run from a scuba tank. the air compressor one had a gauge that could be monitored. the veggies were cut into 1" slabs and cookie-cutter pressed on the the barrels( which were small bore ). there were several in the mechanical category as well. slingshot like. how times have changed.
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 21:10

Huh. A few months back, we had a demo of a decent coilgun by one of my Science Club friends, who's interested in stuff like that. Plus, I've been doing 'dangerous' stuff all year, in full view of teachers and otherwise...
I guess it depends less on the "No Tolerance" policy, which is near-universal (at least where I live), and more on whether your teacher is a wimp who would report such behavior.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 12-4-2014 at 00:09

Quote: Originally posted by elementcollector1  
whether your teacher is a wimp who would report such behavior.

"Mr Schiller was removed from his position after a school employee saw the air pressure project and told officials that it looked like a scary weapon"

Actually it was not a teacher or the article would not have stated 'school employee'. I'm thinking night janitor with the IQ of a spud-less potato cleaning the room when the class was vacant. Everywhere he turned he kept thinking the thing was 'pointed at him' or 'looking at him'. Just a guess on my part but I'm sure enough to bet on it.

A dozen years of a persons life squandered in that atmosphere. Upon graduation turned out into the food service industry with so little learning they cannot make change either in their head or looking at the register in the drive through window. The only job they can hold. Sickening to think these dozen years were the very years in life the brain is creating it's wiring system and learning ability was at it's peak. Only to diminish as age advances. Study the statistics of N.Y.C. schools and the students they turn out so helpless and ignorant they are virtually unemployable. This is what U.S. public schools has become and anyone honestly and fairly looking at the statistical data can see it. This is no longer about guiding children into a future full of hope. It is all about turning out mindless zombies who will submit, unable to think and reason. Submit to the need for factory workers making low wages to enrich giant corporations and submit to the corrupt political regime mindlessly keeping their masters in power while big business lines the politicians pockets.

Yet another generation living wasted lives while the elite few live large.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 12-4-2014 at 06:06

Two years ago, I made a needle gun/plastic BB gun for a school project, the teacher was cool with it.:D

BobD1001
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-4-2014 at 06:43

Wow absolutely ridiculous. Back in middle school when I first began building gauss guns and railguns, my science teacher gave me help every step of the way building my first gauss gun, then had me bring it in and demonstrate it to the class to begin a lecture about electromagnetism. He even said if he got my dads signature, he could have ordered me magnesium powder and other goodies! It was his second to last year teaching before retiring, sadly, they dont make em' like him anymore!
adamsium
Hazard to Others

Mood: uprooting

[*] posted on 12-4-2014 at 07:03

We used to fill soft drink bottles with hydrogen and oxygen, mount them upside down and launch them using an electric fuse on the end of a wire passing through the cork in the neck. These morons would probably have considered our rockets WMD's.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 12-4-2014 at 18:12

The physics class at my school builds and fires little catapults every year as a major project. Not quite as powerful as air cannons, but still weapon-like.
Also, I'm fairly lucky, because my chemistry teacher endorses my home experimentation and occasionally lets me have small amounts of reagents that I don't need much of. I'm sure that the school administration would be very disapproving if they were to find out about that though.
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 13-4-2014 at 07:58

'the deliberate dumbing down of america' or was it 'the us'?
it all speaks of the same things a few here are talking about, about how we (yes, i am in high school) are all being dumbed down to more easily be conformed to the life we are told to live later on

i have heard vastly stupid things come out of the faces of +40 year old teachers who should be clever
but let me also add to that: about a week ago i managed to hear a girl around 18 years old talking about that she had just gotten money back from paying taxes, so she spend 75% of them on clothes, 100% impulsively deciding to just waste 75% of the money, all of her money for this remainding month.. on clothes..
and as it was weekend at the time she said it im entirely sure, that the rest have been thrown away for booze and very likely hard drugs aswell

when i used to go out to light off some sound, i realised that the first days of the month where everybody gets paid by our government, the town is alive.. really alive, with bad luck i would meet 40 persons crossing through near center of my small town to get away from people to light stuff off, several hours past midnight
later on the month it would be nearly physically impossible to see others than taxis or undercover cops, dont think i have even seen more than 3 AT MOST at the absolute center of my town last days of a month

we get taught to drink to feel good, because we arent allowed to feel good about ourselves unless if we spend money on alcohol and drugs, that we work for to be able to get, because its socially acceptable as hell, its the kind of thing you look forward to!!

kind of scary to think about how many that just does what theyre told, when they should feel that the logics they are told to conform to are sick to the absolute core

2:25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEFL8ElXHaU

and then i just came by this while trying to find the exact quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dMA0_cLdeE&list=PLonewK...

consume obey consume obey..

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 13-4-2014 at 17:15

When I went to school, maybe 20 years ago, they let me make hydrogen gas at my desk during free periods. Then later in the
day I could take a few friends outside and we'd light it off. Those were fun times.

On a positive note, last week I was invited to give a demonstration at a local private school. This is a really neat
kind of a school. In addition to the academics, there is a heavy emphasis in hands-on training. The kids have gotten to
restore classic cars, sand-cast their own medieval armor, build solar panels, construct buildings, etc. Basically if a group of the
kids were interested in something, they'd try to do it with them.

Anyway, I got to demonstrate to a group of them how to make their own circuit boards, starting from the photolithographic
mask to the chemical etching of the copper. I had never done something like that before, but the kids were great, and made
me feel very welcome. It was an interesting mix of junior and highschool kids, with an equal amount of guys and girls.

After a few minutes, I realized that they were hanging on my every word, especially the younger ones. And they were asking
so many good questions. This was honestly a bit intimidating, but encouraging at the same time. They really do want to
learn. Even before I left they wanted me to come back again to teach some electronics. Even though I'm starting school
again, I'll be sure to set some time aside for them. They're really good kids.
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-1-2015 at 02:29

This is another thread on this same topic
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=24138

Do you feel safer now.
http://www.sovereignman.com/trends/unbelievable-a-science-ex...
http://www.sovereignman.com/trends/new-law-teachers-to-spy-o...
I wonder how long it will be until the ministry of fear will require mandatory abortion of fetuses predicted to become antagonists
to the ' New world order '.

Why the Illuminati sneer at proletarian rule. Would you confer civil administration to these people ? It naturally follows
to be controlled sheeple are cultivated to be self indulgent , to remain self absorbed and harmless to elite echelons in control.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwXl9V1HxFo

The only certainty is uncertainty, nothing is what it appears.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcy8uLjRHPM

Over this last year _
Petroleum price plummets
http://www.nasdaq.com/markets/crude-oil.aspx?timeframe=1y
U.S. Treasury bond valuation soaring.
http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/fund/tlt/charts

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance , baffle them with bullshit.
― W.C. Fields

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 16-1-2015 at 19:04

I only have one statement to make.

Our constitution has been torn apart. Our civil liberties have been rescinded, Political correctness is nothing more than a catch phrase for martial law.

That sounds like three statements but what it means is total control of the masses is well under way.

One Statement.:cool:

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.

Go To Top