Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Elemental Scientific 20% Off!!!
*FWOOSH*
Hazard to Self

Mood: manic

biggrin.gif posted on 11-4-2014 at 19:24
Elemental Scientific 20% Off!!!

Got an email saying Elemental Scientific's been bought out and they're offering 20% off online with the discount code "Spring2014".

Thought I should share.

Edit: For those who are unaware Elemental Scientific sells Acetic Anhydride, among many other hard to obtain chemicals. ~$22 for 16 fl oz (~475 ml). So that's a quart (~950ml) of acetic anhydride for ~$36 after discount before shipping :D

[Edited on 12-4-2014 by *FWOOSH*]
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 21:07

Noooo!
If only I had money...

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
*FWOOSH*
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 23:06

The code's valid until May 1st, go mow a couple lawns :D
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 12-4-2014 at 02:11

Sad that everything shipped with any of the private carrier from USA to Canada get atrocious "custom fee" that generally resemble at 20$+ 50% of the item value.

I never asked for this.
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 12-4-2014 at 06:02

I'll definitely be buying from them soon.

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 14-4-2014 at 08:24

I was thinking... (Not a good thing, but doesn't happen too often)

When I checked elemental scientific, they had a lot of nice things, but they were rather expensive (B/f this discount) If their prices are just for profit, and not b/c the products are high quality/High purity (I've heard otherwise, specifically regarding NaF), then we could organize a hold-back of purchasing, effectively lowering their prices :) (Supply and demand)

Yell if me if I'm being mean, wrong, silly, logic doesn't work, etc. but I'm just joking around on the subject, I've never ordered anything from them.

Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 14-4-2014 at 09:57

I was just about to remark on this myself. While I was looking through to make an order I noticed that some of the prices have jumped, and one can check out the beaker pages for a rather interesting example.

Here's just one in particular. They all work out the same.

Original price from the list in the description: $2.95
Current price: $3.54

$2.95 * 1.2 = $3.54

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

(I don't like it when people imply I can't do math.)

image.jpg - 101kB

EDIT: Okay, okay, in all fairness I have to admit it could be sheer coincidence that the price increase is exactly the same as the amount of the sale (That doesn't work out to identical profit, btw, sales department). But it's...really throwing me for a loop since I wanted glassware. Can anyone comment on what the chemical prices were before the buyout? Are they holding steady?

[Edited on 4-14-2014 by Etaoin Shrdlu]
*FWOOSH*
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 14-4-2014 at 13:39

I think chem prices are holding fairly steady, I bought a couple things from them a while back and the prices seem about the same.

And as far as holding out goes, I think several reagents are synthesized on the spot as needed. Others they order as needed. Based on a couple conversations I had with them.

[Edited on 14-4-2014 by *FWOOSH*]
copperastic
Hazard to Others

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 15-4-2014 at 05:29

When i went to my cart and entered the code it said 20 percent of o dollars and i had 40 dollars of stuff? Is the discount over?

sbbspartan
Hazard to Self

Mood: DEAD (diethyl azodicarboxylate)

[*] posted on 15-4-2014 at 11:55

Quote: Originally posted by copperastic  
When i went to my cart and entered the code it said 20 percent of o dollars and i had 40 dollars of stuff? Is the discount over?

According to the email they sent me, the discount will last until May 1st.

Also, it looks like most of the chem prices are the same. However, a few have jumped up a bit. The 16 oz of nitric acid used to be $10 and now it is about $12.

Check out my new website at http://www.theamateurchemist.com and my new store at http://store.theamateurchemist.com/ .

Artemus Gordon
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-4-2014 at 15:51
Elemental's new owner looks like a con-man!

Quote: Originally posted by sbbspartan  

Also, it looks like most of the chem prices are the same. However, a few have jumped up a bit. The 16 oz of nitric acid used to be $10 and now it is about $12.

Nope. I have a hard copy of ES's price list from July 2013, and I'm sorry to say EVERY price I have checked is exactly 20% higher.

First, this makes me question whether the new owners really will be committed to keeping prices down. I doubt that wholesale prices for EVERYTHING from Graham condensers to mossy zinc to KNO3 to reagent grade nitric acid to 3 inch medicine droppers ALL went up in that time.

Second, this 20% off "sale" is a big phony. They raised the prices 20% so they could advertise a big discount without actually cutting anything. (That's not precisely true, a 20% increase followed by a 20% decrease does actually reduce the original price by 4%, but it still looks like a deliberate act of deception to me.)

I am going to email them that I think they look pretty slimy at this stage, and I urge all of you to do it too.
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 18-4-2014 at 17:53

I already have an e-mail open with them regarding the sale somehow only applying to one item in my order, so when they respond I'll bring this up as well.
tomholm
Owner of BME Lab and Science and Elemental Scientific

[*] posted on 18-4-2014 at 18:39

Quote: Originally posted by Artemus Gordon  
Quote: Originally posted by sbbspartan  

Nope. I have a hard copy of ES's price list from July 2013, and I'm sorry to say EVERY price I have checked is exactly 20% higher.

First, this makes me question whether the new owners really will be committed to keeping prices down. I doubt that wholesale prices for EVERYTHING from Graham condensers to mossy zinc to KNO3 to reagent grade nitric acid to 3 inch medicine droppers ALL went up in that time.

Second, this 20% off "sale" is a big phony. They raised the prices 20% so they could advertise a big discount without actually cutting anything. (That's not precisely true, a 20% increase followed by a 20% decrease does actually reduce the original price by 4%, but it still looks like a deliberate act of deception to me.)

I am going to email them that I think they look pretty slimy at this stage, and I urge all of you to do it too.

"No good deed goes unpunished."

Hi All,

Hope you don't mind if I chime in here. As new owners of Elemental Scientific, we raised prices on most products in February. The previous owners had not raised prices on many products for quite some time and were planning on raising prices prior to the sale of the company. Once we got ourselves organized to the point where we thought we could respond adequately to orders, we decided to have a site-wide sale to encourage previous and new customers to give us a try. Fortunately, that has worked pretty well and we've been able to serve many new customers.

I'd also like to comment on prices. As many of you know (you've done your research), that Elemental's prices are still generally much lower than the competition. Elemental's Nitric Acid (70%), a previously mentioned example, at $11.99, is considerably less expensive than Carolina Biological ($21.10 - $28.50) or Sigma-Aldrich ($64.60). I don't know that we offer the lowest price on everything, but we do our best and will price our products with an eye on staying in business.

Additionally, when selling chemicals in small quantities, the cost of the product itself is sometimes over-shadowed by the cost of the packaging and the cost of the labor. Unfortunately, the costs of packaging and labor have gone up.

One final point. Probably the biggest complaint that I've heard about Elemental Scientific is that they were slow in processing orders. We are working very hard to change that and reduce the processing time from weeks to days. These improvements do cost more by requiring additional inventory and labor.

I hope that all of you give Elemental a try and take advantage of the current, site-wide sale. Once this current sale is over, I expect that we will be offering more "item specific" sales focusing on overstock items, rather than site-wide sales. We are working hard to not only earn your business, but also earn your respect.

Happy Easter to All!

Tom
Elemental Scientific
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-4-2014 at 11:04

Higher prices may suck a bit but having a place that WILL sell to us is a deal I can live with. I haven't forgotten that your company had the 400C thermometers in stock and shipped to me. No one else either would sell or ship to me as I am just a student. I look forward to buying from y'all. Only thing I do wonder though is if your company would ever sell the 2.4 liter amounts. But there are other sources if I need that much anyway.

" the Modern Chemist is inundated with literature"-Unknown
Crowfjord
Hazard to Others

Mood: Ever so slowly crystallizing...

[*] posted on 19-4-2014 at 12:28

Question for tomholm/Elemental Scientific :

On the Elemental Scientific web page, all of the amounts are listed in ounces. Are we to assume that those are volumes for liquids and weights for solids, or is it just one or the other for all chemicals?
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 19-4-2014 at 13:30

It would appear, judging from my previous orders, that items are either listed in fluid ounces (volume) or ounces (weight). Thus, 4 *fluid* ounces of CeO2, for example, would afford you roughly 864g of cerium dioxide, which is most certainly not what I received, whereas 4 ounces of cerium dioxide is roughly 113.4g, a much more reasonable estimate.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
tomholm

[*] posted on 20-4-2014 at 08:44

Quote: Originally posted by Crowfjord  
Question for tomholm/Elemental Scientific :

On the Elemental Scientific web page, all of the amounts are listed in ounces. Are we to assume that those are volumes for liquids and weights for solids, or is it just one or the other for all chemicals?

Yes, most of the chemicals are currently sold in ounces where solids measured as weight and liquids measure as volume (US measurement where 16 oz = pint). That said, we are in the process of converting over to the metric system where the products will be sold by the gram or the milliliter or liter.

During the transition period, you may order 25 g of a chemical and we may ship the approximate equivalent in ounces ( 1 oz), or 500 ml is approximately equivalent to 16 oz.

Hope this addresses your question.

Artemus Gordon
Hazard to Others

biggrin.gif posted on 23-4-2014 at 15:23
Hi Tom

Sorry for the delay in posting this.

As a former owner of a small business myself, I fully appreciate how you are at the the mercy of price pressures that are beyond your control. However, I would like to point out that communication is a big part of good customer service. If you had stated on your sale email the facts you posted here, you could have avoided a lot of ill-feeling (and I could have avoided digging out my old price list to try to figure out what had happened).

Anyway, water under the bridge. Thanks for keeping Elemental as a going concern and thanks for your support of the amateur chemist community!
tomholm

[*] posted on 24-4-2014 at 13:57
Still Learning...

Thanks for the feedback. We're still learning, so hopefully we will communicate and proceed more effectively in the future.

One thing I've learned so far is that this seems to be a pretty active forum that offers good insight and advice. With that in mind, I've got some questions:

1. Are there items that you would like to see added to our website, www.elementalscientific.net?

2. The previous owners charged $2 for a printed catalog. Considering that it costs $1.61 in postage, plus printing and labor to assemble it, we're considering the following options:

a. Replace the printed version with an electronic, PDF version
b. Eliminate the catalog all-together and just rely on our web site
c. Just provide an electronic list of the chemicals available in a PDF format that customers could print.
d. Increase the price of the printed catalog to $3-$4.

Any preference?

3. I expect to begin a sale for selling some overstock items (glassware & chemicals) next month. Would it be helpful to post a list of those items on this discussion board or is the web site sufficient?

4. Are there other discussion boards/web sites that you think would benefit from knowing about the sales items?

Thanks for your input.

plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 24-4-2014 at 14:05

Canadian members would like to have easy transaction with your company.

PDF would be better, or only online based services would be prefered.

I never asked for this.
Artemus Gordon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-4-2014 at 15:02

I like the PDF (full catalog) idea. I asked for a printed version with my last order because it is hard to just browse the online store. Also, I'd like to see more pictures of apparatus.
Another thing that would be good, although it may take a lot of manpower to implement, is if we could search for chemicals by formula, in addition to name.

As for the overstock sale, I hope you will have a special page on your site that lists all the sale items. Adding the list here too would be nice, but not vital. If it's a big hassle to have a sale page on your site, then please do make a list here so I can browse all the items at one view.

[Edited on 24-4-2014 by Artemus Gordon]
tomholm

[*] posted on 24-4-2014 at 20:22
Still Learning...

Thanks for the feedback. We're still learning, so hopefully we will communicate and proceed more effectively in the future.

One thing I've learned so far is that this seems to be a pretty active forum that offers good insight and advice. With that in mind, I've got some questions:

1. Are there items that you would like to see added to our website, www.elementalscientific.net?

2. The previous owners charged $2 for a printed catalog. Considering that it costs $1.61 in postage, plus printing and labor to assemble it, we're considering the following options:

a. Replace the printed version with an electronic, PDF version
b. Eliminate the catalog all-together and just rely on our web site
c. Just provide an electronic list of the chemicals available in a PDF format that customers could print.
d. Increase the price of the printed catalog to $3-$4.

Any preference?

3. I expect to begin a sale for selling some overstock items (glassware & chemicals) next month. Would it be helpful to post a list of those items on this discussion board or is the web site sufficient?

4. Are there other discussion boards/web sites that you think would benefit from knowing about the sales items?

Thanks for your input.

Crowfjord
Hazard to Others

Mood: Ever so slowly crystallizing...

[*] posted on 24-4-2014 at 20:50

@ tomholm:

It would be nice if elemental scientific sold diglyme (diethylene glycol dimethyl ether). I have been having trouble finding a source for it. Also, I found it strange that elemental sells lithium aluminum hydride, but neither diethyl ether nor tetrahydrofuran with which to use it. I believe that it would make sense to do so.
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 25-4-2014 at 04:59

Hi Tom,

Quick sugestion:

It would be nice if Elemental could act as a proxy through which we could buy chemicals from sites that do not sell to individuals, for a fee.

For instance, if you had an account with Sigma-Aldrich, we could fill out a form on Elemental's webpage requesting a purchase. They ship to you, you ship it to us, and we pay you whatever sigma charged you plus 5%, or something like that.

Sometimes, stuff is just too exotic for anyone but the big guys to supply... I have been looking for cyanuric chloride lately but my only option seems to buy a kilo from overseas since nobody else ships to individuals. Sigma has 500g for $20, and I would gladly pay someone 20% markup to ship it to me, for instance.

Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 25-4-2014 at 06:38

I second Praxichys' suggestion, ordering from Sigma-Aldrich indirectly would be very great!

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top