Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Manganese Heptoxide type reaction.
tom haggen
Hazard to Others

Mood: a better mood

[*] posted on 17-12-2004 at 15:16

Do you guys think that isopropyl alcohol will work in that demo in place of ethanol?

N/A
cyclonite4
Hazard to Others

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 18-12-2004 at 05:22

@tom haggen: Probably. They are both alcohols, but don't take my word for it, try it out.

@neutrino: Also from my local hardware store, you can get "Thread Sealing Compound, which is a paste composed mostly of PTFE (teflon). Don't worry, it wont dry out. It's usual use is similar to the tape, just put it all over the threads, and tighten. This may work, the only problem being if you use too mush, some may fall into the Mn2O7, which i wouldnt expect to be very convenient.
Endo
Hazard to Others

Mood: Cold

[*] posted on 6-1-2006 at 07:25
Manganic Acid

While reading through the HF thread I saw the +7 oxidation experement with permanganate.

It got me to thinking about a demo I have heard of where manganic acid is produced under a layer of alchol. It supposedly is produced at a constant slow rate and it oxidizes the alchol and makes for a pretty light show... I also remember that the setup was not to be agitated or disturbed because it could go out of control and start a fire/explode.

Of course as a high school student at the time the details were kept from my devious ears. Now as an irresposible adult I would like to figure out what was used in this demo, but I have had very little sucess in my very sporadic research attempts.

Thanks
Endo
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 6-1-2006 at 07:45

Woelen also has an example of that experiment. Permanganic anhydride, BTW (Mn2O7). :)

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 6-1-2006 at 08:35

Manganese Heptoxide type reaction.

There actually already is a thread about that particular demonstration. It sounds fairly interesting though I have never seen it myself.

Permanganic anhydride? Yes, that is Mn<sub>2</sub>O<sub>7</sub> but Endo specifically stated the acid, a solution of HMnO<sub>4</sub> not the anhydride. The solution of the acid is less dangerous, though easily dehydrated to the anhydride. Never the less I think the procedure does indeed involve manganese heptoxide considering the way the steps are carried out.

[Edited on 1/6/2006 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Endo
Hazard to Others

Mood: Cold

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 19:51

Sorry about that... It took me some time to figure out where the post had gone...

It looks like I had been mis-informed all those years ago about what the actual substance formed was...

This kinda hindered my search and led me to post something that had already been gone over in depth.

By the way...
It seems like around 90% of the stuff I think of posting has already been posted about... Kinda refereshing!
quantumcorespacealchemyst
Banned Shitposter

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-1-2015 at 05:13

Quote: Originally posted by neutrino  
The tape used for plumbing is not always impervious to vapors. IME, the stuff is either impure or permeable to gases and vapors. If you want to make some chemically resistant vials, get some decent sheet. As always,I recommend trying ebay.

i have read that all the PTFE tapes but the green (for potable water) have an oil on them. if these are non fluoropolymer/PTFE they may be flammable/able to react with the Mn2O7.

although they may be able to be leached out and washed by solvent. there is PTFE sheets sold online that are thin enought to make buffers between stoppers

also wikipedia says "Mn2O7 can react further with sulfuric acid to give the remarkable cation MnO3+, which is isoelectronic with CrO3" which sounds interesting to me

[Edited on 14-1-2015 by quantumcorespacealchemyst]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top