Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Organic Solvents as a carrier fluid for ferro fluid
CHRIS25
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-4-2014 at 06:40
Organic Solvents as a carrier fluid for ferro fluid

Kerosene and Paraffin are most definitely not the same thing for many reasons, see http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/lamp-oil-kerosene-an...
google this topic and one discovers that Wikpedia's introduction is mis-leading. In view of the fact that I do not want to waste money on 4 litres of an unknown sweetened or non sweetened paraffin (ireland) that contains Kerosene? help this is so confusing..and the fact that I will be spending a lot of time with ferro fluids and would like to minimize toxicity. I wondered if anybody had used any other organic non polar solvent as a carrier fluid? Or might recommend such as trying, white spirit or toulene.

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
deltaH
Dangerous source of unreferenced speculation

Mood: Heavily protonated

[*] posted on 18-4-2014 at 13:16

If you want something that is very low on aromatics, you need a heavily hydrotreated (hydrogenated) paraffin and these are generally sold as pharmaceutical grade AFAIK, probably not cheap in larger amounts!

If you want to try your hand at transesterification, you could maybe prepare a nice healthy carrier solvent from transesterifying a vegestable fat rich in saturated fatty acids, like coconut oil or palm kernal oil (the latter not to be confused with palm oil which is different!) and NOT methanol, but something less toxic like ethanol or isopropanol.

You will have to do your homework on it... that means a literature search, including searching this forum for making biodiesel with other alcohols beside methanol. A solution of ethanol and isopropanol is typically called rubbing alcohol and used medically. It is quiet cheap and easily bought, you will need to see if you can find recipes on how to carry out transesterification with it (if even possible).

I think the big challenge would be the base. Normally sodium methoxide is used in transesterification with methanol, but rubbing alcohol is FAR less polar and so might really struggle to dissolve ionic bases.

Long story short, I think if you could prepare a clean biodiesel from a highly saturated vegetable oil with a low toxicity alcohol mix (like rubbing alcohol), you would have a most excellent product, but review your literature thoroughly to determine (a) feasibility and (b) how to do it... there might be a recipe for you to follow.

[Edited on 18-4-2014 by deltaH]

Mind your step or step your mind. Website: www.ideashack.org
CHRIS25
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-4-2014 at 02:19

Actually i was thinking of something a lot simpler such as Johnsons baby oil. Seriously, you have given me something to look into, I like the challenge.

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
deltaH

[*] posted on 19-4-2014 at 02:55

Johnsons baby oil is pharma grade parrafin with some perfume added AFAIK :) Again, should be fine, but not cheap in large volumes (you mentioned 4l?)

Transesterification is not trivial... heck as you saw, even saponification is not trivial in certain cases. You will find a similar sort of thing in this case. The transesterification reaction of triglycerides to make fatty acid methyl esters (FAME), otherwise colloquially referred to as biodiesel, is approximately analogous in complexity to soap making, however, using other alcohols or saturated fats makes this a little non-standard which means it will come with challenges. Expect it to challenge you a little more than what the oleic acid preparation did previously... maybe a nice step up for you?

If you were wondering why I suggested fats high in saturated fatty acids, it's because these have a better shelf life which may or may not be of importance to you. Unsaturated fatty acids can slowly form peroxides and even condense to rubbery products upon exposure to air and time. This is a slow process (months?) for monounsaturated oils, but fast for polyunsaturated oils, like linseed oil etc.

My suggestion of coconut oil and palm kernal oil, both of which are white lards in appearance, is from my soap making knowledge. These are rich is medium chain triglycerides and contain minimal polyunsaturated fats. Hence they are very durable and the closest thing to being a natural parrafin when converted into a ethyl or isopropyl ester.

You may also want to try and find melting point info on medium chain length fatty acid esters. For example, on the Sigma Aldrich website, search for C10 or C12 versions with either isopropanol or ethanol. These would be name things like ethyl decanoate or isopropyl dodecanoate, etc. Check if their melting points are indeed lower compared to the softening point of say coconut oil or palm kernal oil. If so, then you are gaining exactly what you want, a liquid inert natural parrafin-like solvent.

...and then proceed to put Johnson's out of business :P

[Edited on 19-4-2014 by deltaH]

CHRIS25
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-4-2014 at 04:50

Clearly a lot more research and a steep learning curve for me, moreso than the alkali hydrolysis I just did for oleic. Which reminds me, I just got a 0.13 mole yield from a 0.15 theoretical, though I think this may go down slightly as I decant off the glycerol from a second melt. Tastes delicious:D. thanks Nicola, a lot to get on with, at least you have given me all the starting points and spring boards, which is what I need right now. Though I am not certain as to equipment I need to buy if any. So will have to see what is what is here.

[Edited on 19-4-2014 by CHRIS25]

deltaH

[*] posted on 19-4-2014 at 05:21

Best of luck with whatever course you take, you have a couple of options already.

[Edited on 19-4-2014 by deltaH]

subsecret
Hazard to Others

Mood: Human Sadness - Julian Casablancas & the Voidz

[*] posted on 19-4-2014 at 08:41

I was able to purchase an unscented, viscous mineral oil at my local grocery store. It's worth checking to see what they have there. Perfumes shouldn't cause trouble, but the ferrofluid may be annoying to work with...

Fear is what you get when caution wasn't enough.
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 19-4-2014 at 08:42

Don't heat that mineral oil, it carbonizes annoyingly.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
thesmug
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-4-2014 at 10:06

How hot does it need to be to carbonize? I've never had this before.

Go To Top