Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Can the Finkelstein reaction be exploited as a sort of in situ catalysis via halogen exchange?
Electra
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-4-2014 at 21:04
Can the Finkelstein reaction be exploited as a sort of in situ catalysis via halogen exchange?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finkelstein_reaction

It is discussed how the halogen exchange can turn alkyl chlorides or bromides into alkyl iodides by a sort of equilibrium reaction that is driven forward by the starting salt being soluble in the liquid while the final salt isn't. For instance, Sodium Iodide converting alkyl chloride into alkyl iodide, forming Sodium Chloride which leaves the solution (in acetone).

Is it possible to treat this exchange as a sort of catalysis?

Alkyl chlorides are far more unreactive than alkyl iodides in various substitution reactions. Alkyl chlorides generally require heat while alkyl iodides can undergo substitution reactions at room temperature. Would it be possible for an alkyl chloride to temporarily behave as an alkyl iodide insitu if Sodium Iodide is added as a catalyst? If the Alkyl Iodide is indeed formed in equilibrium, which it should be, then it should be far more prone to nucleophilic substitution than the alkyl chloride. The only real downside would be is that the catalysis may slow down if sodium chloride is a byproduct of the substitution, but it should go forward regardless.

When I google this, I can't find much information. Has anyone ever utilized a technique like this?
Aconite
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-4-2014 at 07:27

The iodide would speed up the reaction, however it would not be a true catalyst. A catalyst is regenerated (not consumed) and typically used in 1-10 mol% concentrations. Semantics.
Anyhow, use 1-1.5 meq of iodide. The reason it pushes the equilibrium reaction forward is by precipitation of the sodium chloride, effectively removing it from the right side of your equilibrium equation. Per Le Chatalier's, the reaction is pulled forward to the alkyl iodide. The Alkyl iodide undergoes further reaction with your nucleophile.
In essence, you are creating a more reactive intermediate in-situ. To keep it clean though, I'd recommend performing this step, filtering, and *then adding slowly to* your nucleophile in solution. If your nucleophile is an amine, keeping it at a much higher concentration relative to your electrophile will ensure that mono-alkylation dominates.
Cheers!
Electra
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-4-2014 at 10:05

The iodide would not be consumed.... in the wiki article yes, but that is not the application I am talking about. It would defeat the ease and efficiency of the idea I am putting forth if you had to bring acetone into the picture along with equimolar amounts of the NaI.

If NaOH is used as a base to deprotonate one of the substrates, alkyl chloride would become an alkyl iodide, which would then react with the deprotonated substrate, forming H2O, NaI, and the substituted product. In such a reaction NaI is recycled, and thus, act as a catalyst.

What I am unsure about is whether or not there are any specific factors that would prevent the NaI from forming the Alkyl Iodide long enough for it to undergo substitution. NaI could react rapidly with the NaOH deprotonated substrate. What I'm curious about is whether or not the equilibrium dynamics between NaI and the Alkyl chloride would allow for this.

For instance a SN2 reaction with a phenol:

1) NaI + CH3-Cl <---> NaCl + CH3-I
2) CH3-I + NaOH + Ph-OH ---> Ph-O-CH3 + NaI + H2O

This reaction could also occur, although the reaction with the iodide would be much more rapid:
2) CH3-Cl + NaOH + Ph-OH -> Ph-O-CH3 + NaCl + H2O

If the NaI is used at a 5-10% ratio, it would be continually recycled, although, NaCl would build up in the solution as well.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 18-4-2014 at 11:06

Quote: Originally posted by Electra  
Is it possible to treat this exchange as a sort of catalysis?

Yes. It is called nucleophilic catalysis.
For a study on methylations via the nucleophilic catalysis, see DOI: 10.1021/ja00165a046.

Edit: Corrected the "nucleophic" typo.

[Edited on 18/4/2014 by Nicodem]

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Electra
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-4-2014 at 11:11

Nicodem, some of your posts do irritate me but I love how you are so forward and straight to the point :) <3. Thank you! I just found a bunch of great papers on the subject. This will definitely come in handy.

Go To Top