Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Preperation of Zinc Amalgam?
UndergroundChemist
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-4-2014 at 10:37
Preperation of Zinc Amalgam?

Hi. I would like some information on the preperation of zinc amalgam for a Clemmensen Reduction. I would use wolf-kishner reduction but the strongly basic conditions would dephosphorylate the bromo- group in the compound which I don't want to. But the Clemmensen reduction should work since the acidic condition should not interact with any other functional group in the compound except performing a ketone reduction which I want.

Could it be produced just like This but with the aluminium replaced by zinc? or is there a better way?

Cheers :)

[Edited on 27-4-2014 by UndergroundChemist]
organichem
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-4-2014 at 11:32

What do you think of the reduction via tosylhydrazone?
OrgSyn

[Edited on 27-4-2014 by organichem]
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-4-2014 at 12:44

Quote: Originally posted by organichem  
OrgSyn

I like it.
http://www.orgsyn.org/demo.aspx?prep=cv5p1055
Good luck halogenating; this guy claims to be 15 and is stuck on Erowid mirrors when a reference to Vogel's is in his link. Maybe if he slowed down, learned some chemistry, and then began looking at actual peer-reviewed chemical literature like has been suggested, he'd have a chance of whatever he's got in mind.

Again, the OP doesn't understand or care about how to find actual synthetic literature, and of course, is being furtive as to reagents and products. Seems like Detritus to me.

Edit- and OP... really, once you find the distinction between literature and links, read over the forum descriptions again and see where posts belong. You're primarily asking about reagent acquisition, but lack any references, which you should understand by now given how many times you've been told it. This means you should post in Beginnings.

[Edited on 27-4-2014 by Chemosynthesis]
UndergroundChemist
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-4-2014 at 12:57

Quote: Originally posted by Chemosynthesis  
Quote: Originally posted by organichem  
OrgSyn

I like it.
http://www.orgsyn.org/demo.aspx?prep=cv5p1055
Good luck halogenating; this guy claims to be 15 and is stuck on Erowid mirrors when a reference to Vogel's is in his link. Maybe if he slowed down, learned some chemistry, and then began looking at actual peer-reviewed chemical literature like has been suggested, he'd have a chance of whatever he's got in mind.

Again, the OP doesn't understand or care about how to find actual synthetic literature, and of course, is being furtive as to reagents and products. Seems like Detritus to me.

Em that was a modified version of the one shulgin posted and I would bet shulgin is a better chemist then most of us here. Stop being so god damn negative on my threads wtf am I doing wrong that you want me to do?
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-4-2014 at 13:33

Quote: Originally posted by UndergroundChemist  

Em that was a modified version of the one shulgin posted and I would bet shulgin is a better chemist then most of us here. Stop being so god damn negative on my threads wtf am I doing wrong that you want me to do?

Most of us? You're not one of "us" yet, so nice try. Chemistry isn't a competition about ranking, and that's not what this forum is about.

Yes, it was probably used in a modified procedure of Alexander Shulgin's used by a convicted MDMA manufacturer in Florida. I'm sure it'd work too, but it's not peer-reviewed, it's not Shulgin's, and it's not zinc amalgam... examples of which are available in chemical literature. The part you want, however, is modified Vogel's. Try reading next time. It's for "Shulgin fans" i.e. illicit drug cooks, but modified from Vogel's... like I said originally, which you appear incapable of comprehending. Example... you say alkaline conditions would "dephosphorylate a bromo group" in your vague, and unnamed compound. Do you know what dephosphorylation even is?

What I want from you is to actually read the advice I post, and the forum guidelines. I answered previous questions of yours, or told you where to look for answers, and you obviously ignored it. I told you where you should post, and you whine about my being sick of your flagrant apathy towards forum guidelines, and wasting bandwidth with repeat threads asking for confirmation of educational links (does ester hydrolysis hydrolize esters? Gee, I wonder. If that's so difficult for you, have your parents hire a tutor).

I'm here in my free time, and I tried to point you towards articles and links that would teach you, and instead you keep posting amateur questions in the wrong places on this forum, all pertinent to drug manufacture, and get a poor attitude about the quality of answers you get. I just posted a peer-reviewed preparation of tosylhydrazine which would necessitate being the step before the procedure organichem posted, and mentioned a step prior to that. If that's not helpful, it's because of your inabilities.

[Edited on 27-4-2014 by Chemosynthesis]
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 27-4-2014 at 14:10

Well I don't really know what the op is even talking about again.

"dephosphorylate the bromo- group"

How exactly does a bromo 'group' have a phosphate while being attached somewhere else? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dephosphorylation

Shulgin this shulgin that, what are YOU trying to even do here? Or are you just looking up random synthetic musings pertaining to illicit materials and posting incoherent comments on this board? Like what is the substrate, what is the target, what are you thinking will take you from A to B? I'm voting for troll :].

S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 27-4-2014 at 15:05

Quote: Originally posted by smaerd  
"dephosphorylate the bromo- group"

There was an intelligent response that was unfortunately deleted by the author for being afraid of being a smartass or something. Too bad, it was pretty funny, at least to other smartasses.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden

Go To Top