Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question about batteries
Soil939
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-12-2004 at 20:26
Question about batteries

This may be a simple question but I wanted to know the key differences between alkaline batteries and those cheaper heavy duty ones. I know that alkaline batteries are meant to have a more steady voltage rate throughout their life time, supposed to work better in more extreme temperatures, and have a longer shelf life but I wanted to know why this is.
Joeychemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sedated

[*] posted on 14-12-2004 at 20:55
Lithium and Alkaline?

If you’re asking what are the differences between Alkaline and lithium batteries then the battery chemistry and construction are different in the two systems. Since lithium is a very active material, it provides a great deal of power relative to the amount of material used in a battery. The lithium discharge curve is longer and flatter than alkaline, providing a consistently higher voltage throughout the life of the battery.
cyclonite4
Hazard to Others

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 16-12-2004 at 03:54

Aren't those "Heavy duty" :P batteries just alkaline batteries? They peform like crap because they are made poorly in bulk.
hodges
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-12-2004 at 16:03

Most batteries I've seen that are labeled "heavy duty" are the old zinc-carbon cells that aren't made too much anymore. They don't have as much capacity as alkalines, but they are cheaper. They are also a good source of zinc metal and carbon rods for experiments.
cyclonite4
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-12-2004 at 03:22

OH yes, i remember a thread on RS about getting Zn Powder from batteries, and other chemicals like MnO2. However, one of the members mentioned they used nickel rods.
cookyscientist
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-12-2004 at 14:59
always go with alkaline

i would never buy anything else. alkaline is the way to go. much better than all the rest including heavy duty ones

cooky
HNO3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-12-2004 at 16:56

I get all my MnO2 from cheap batteries. However, the alkaline ones contain KOH as an electrolyte. How do I know? I onened one once, and had slippery hands for the rest of the day, and THEN investigated what the electrolyte was.:D

\"In the beginning, God...\" Wait a minute, God doesn\'t exist!!!!!!!!!! \"OK, in the beginning, ummm, hydrogen...\" Wait a minute, what about the laws of thermodynamics? \"OK, in the beginning, ummm.....UMMMMM, what\'s left to choose from?
cyclonite4
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-12-2004 at 21:46

If you want batteries with the highest power/capacity, get the rechargeable NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride) ones. They have capacitys of around 2000mAh (That means it can supply 2 amps of current for an hour), and the ones i use for my CD player are 3000mAh!!!

I was wondering if anyone knows if NiMH batteries have Nickel Hydride, or Nickel AND a Metal Hydride?
Soil939
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-12-2004 at 03:10

Quote:
Originally posted by hodges
Most batteries I've seen that are labeled "heavy duty" are the old zinc-carbon cells that aren't made too much anymore. They don't have as much capacity as alkalines, but they are cheaper. They are also a good source of zinc metal and carbon rods for experiments.

Yes, this is what I meant by heavy duty. Thanks for explaining the differences. Alkalines seem like the best for what I plan to use them for and are much better than those zinc batteries. I don't know much about rechargeable batteries but I can't use them due to time constraints and travel purposes.

[Edited on 19-12-2004 by Soil939]
cyclonite4
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-12-2004 at 06:42

Time constraints?? Travel purposes??
Once you have charged a dozen or so (time consuming, no shit, unless you have a high-speed charger like mine), they will save you time with swapping batteries over... and they are perfect for travel, when using lots of battery powered devices, they have the best capacity for size, except when compared to SLA's which are heavy bitches (thanks to all the Lead in them).
techgirl6
Harmless

Mood: Iffy

[*] posted on 27-12-2004 at 20:00

Basically heavy duty batteries are junk. I wasted alot of money on them thinking I was getting a comparable battery to alkaline. Boy was I wrong. Alkaline are they way to go. They may cost a little more but in the end you actually save money over heavy duty since you wont be changing them as often.
cyclonite4
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-12-2004 at 04:40

True. The fact that 'Heavy Duty' batteries can be bought in large packs for a few dollars pretty much hints how crappy they are.

But I still have to stress that NiMH rechargeables, although expensive at first, will save you massive amounts in the long term (they also don't suffer from the 'memory' effect like NiCad's do).

\"It is dangerous to be right, when your government is wrong.\" - Voltaire
radar
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-1-2005 at 19:10

Heavy duty batteries are garbage.I stopped using them years ago and will never go back.They should be taken off the market .Alkalines last alot longer, perform better, and saves you money couse you dont have to buy as many.
Soil939
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-1-2005 at 08:14

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclonite4
Time constraints?? Travel purposes??

I travel between the US and Europe quite a bit and buying a fast charger, then different ac converters and the like adds up real quick. I guess I don't use batteries that often where I would need to put a lot of effort and foresight into it. For a weeks trip I only need a couple of batteries and alkalines seem way better than my other alternatives. It's true, after reading what makes makes up those old fashioned heavy duty batteries and how they operate I'm surpised they even make them anymore.
cyclonite4
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-1-2005 at 08:27

Quote:
Originally posted by Soil939
It's true, after reading what makes makes up those old fashioned heavy duty batteries and how they operate I'm surpised they even make them anymore.

Theyre made for all those cheap discount stores and they are designed to sound impressive. The consumer is thinking: "OH YEAH! Heavy duty sounds cool, must be better than those crappy 'alkalines', and theyre cheaper too! I think I'll buy a few hundred for a backup supply"

They are sure gonna need those extra batteries:P

I guess for your purposes alkalines will fit nicely.

\"It is dangerous to be right, when your government is wrong.\" - Voltaire

Go To Top