Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Building a Better Battery- electrochemistry with a precipitate.
Steam
Hazard to Others

Mood: Triple Point

[*] posted on 2-5-2014 at 05:47
Building a Better Battery- electrochemistry with a precipitate.

I was thinking and I came up with this idea and I was wondering if it would work.
I know the Nernst equation is used to calculate cell potential outside of slandered conditions. What I was thinking was to use it to make a battery have an high initial potential by having the metal salt precipitate at the anode. Perhaps a heavy metal chloride as an anode? By doing this the concentration of the salt will always stay extremely low (approx [0]). Meanwhile at the cathode where the metal salt comes out of solution, I would have a solution that is over saturated. Ie, having undisolved salts at the bottom of the cell. With stirring this would keep the concentration of the salt at its saturation point.

Would this cause the voltage of the cell to be at it "maximum" potential for as long as the extra salt in the cathode isn't used up?

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 2-5-2014 at 13:09

You might be better off using something like aluminum or zinc and a phosphate instead of a heavy metal and a chloride.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
Steam
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-5-2014 at 19:49

Good point, Got to keep safety in mind! ;)

But is the idea there? Would this make a big difference within the battery?

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
Metacelsus
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-5-2014 at 05:06

It's not just safety; more active metals will generate more voltage.

I think that it would have an effect; the voltage would not drop until the precipitating salt is used up. However, you might run into the problem of your anode being encrusted in precipitate.

As below, so above.

Illusionist
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-5-2014 at 05:15

You could add something to shake the anode periodically if the precipitate does not adhere easily to it.

You could also build the anode of two sliding perforated metal sheets and have them moving against each other to dislodge the precipitate. (like the moving and stationary part in a hair trimmer)
Steam
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-5-2014 at 10:27

Sort of ruins the point of the battery if you have to shake it in order for it to work!
It is a school contest though so I can just shake it off before my teacher tests the voltage. I think I am going to use Silver and Aluminium. That silver salt that has been laying around the lab is begging to be used!

[Edited on 3-5-2014 by Steam]

Metacelsus
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-5-2014 at 10:40

Is the point of the contest to have the most voltage? There was a similar thread around here . . .

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=23879

As below, so above.

Galinstan
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-5-2014 at 12:44

the idea of using a very insolble salt in a cell is the reason the caromel cell produces such a stable voltage and is used as an standard electrode, so yes using this method with another insoluble salts will make the voltage of the cell remain fairly constant at S.T.P
Steam
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-5-2014 at 20:10

Yes, so it is the highest stable voltage, but the rule is that you can only use one cell. I actually have some Lithium metal in my lab at home. I am going to do some quick math tomorrow to see If just a normal Lithium-silver cell would be better.

Would have to deal with running it on non-aqueous inert conditions but it might be better!

Will also have to ask the teacher if I can use my own chemicals... hmmmm.

[Edited on 4-5-2014 by Steam]

Illusionist
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 09:32

Maybe a small piezoelectric element could induce enough vibration to get rid of the precipitate accumulation on the electrode without draining too much voltage.

If you could have Hydrogen generated at the anode, maybe it would prevent buildup of the precipitate.

Go To Top