[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 08:53

what exactly is 'common core' ?

IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 09:23

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
what exactly is 'common core' ?

No one really knows for sure even though it is so pervasive nationwide.

I get the feeling it was invented by Groucho and Che while filming Reefer Madness in 1936. Ok, so Groucho was working elsewhere and Che was only 8 at the time but I have no doubt in spirit they would have been involved in it's creation if it had been possible. How else can one explain the insanity of it all?

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
Muffn Man
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 12:05

Wikipedia says:
The Common Core State Standards Initiative is an educational initiative in the United States that details what K-12 students should know in English language arts and mathematics at the end of each grade.
pichoro
Harmless

Mood: Inert

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 13:24

It is the latest crap rethinking of education. I'm really not a fan of it, either. But I do not seem to have any control over the matter.

There aren't even common core science standards yet. But I'm sure they'll come along to give me one more reason to wonder if teaching is worth it. :)
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 14:16

Um, is it just me or does this thread need a little re-arranging? This last part of it really belongs in legal and societal, and has nothing to do with the original subject.

[Edited on 6-11-2014 by zts16]
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 15:47

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
Um, is it just me or does this thread need a little re-arranging? This last part of it really belongs in legal and societal, and has nothing to do with the original subject.

[Edited on 6-11-2014 by zts16]

It's just you. aga asked a question about a term brought up in reference to a story in chem class which was further referenced by a teacher thus prompting aga's question. Where would an answer be given? Somewhere else where no one had a clue in context of the original question? The following posts are what is termed 'having a conversation', something best done without excessive 'thought policing'. While I liked bfesser, this over control was one of my problems with him. Usually it is best to allow conversations to be fluid as long as the original intent of a topic is not completely hijacked on a continuous basis, and/or where flaming is involved. The OP's question has as far as I can tell been answered already. You do have a point which one can say is valid yet I do not think minor digressions should be over controlled unless things are getting out of hand. You should have been here 6 or 8 years ago if you think it is bad today. So many sites exist where moderation is so oppressive I for one never go to them. If the place is so stiff there is no enjoyment of casual conversation why bother being there. If it makes you feel better I swear I will not mention CC anymore in this thread. I hope this helps.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 12-6-2014 at 15:09

Is this a Forum where people Talk or is it a police state where people can say only Approved things ?

zts16, why on earth would you wish this thread to terminate ?
I now know what 'Common Core' is (i am English), and how some people feel about it.

Does it Offend you that the original question has been addressed, yet the thread continues due to Other Minds thinking about Other Things?

Yes. If the thread had been hijacked earlier by random nonsense, i would see the need for Moderation - by a Moderator.

We are now post-facto, so what is it that prompted your somewhat draconian interjection ?

[Edited on 12-6-2014 by aga]

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 12-6-2014 at 18:40

Woah, I never said anything about terminating the thread. Just thought it would be good to split it in two, because the current way that it's organized doesn't make any sense. If this second part about Common Core was moved to a new thread called Thoughts About Common Core or something like that, then other people who are interested and might have otherwise not found it had it stayed a part of this thread can join in too. I think it's a perfectly legitimate and good conversation, and it deserves its own thread.
On the other hand, I guess there was no reason for me to interject there, as it wouldn't really do anything.
crystal
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-6-2014 at 12:46

Looking at the bubble wrap I have to ask, you have just bought it and it arrived broken? If yes, you can ask for a repair or a new one, if the company you bought it from will refund you, thats another thing.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top