Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tetrahydroxybenzoindole
rannyfash
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 14:22
Tetrahydroxybenzoindole

Hey there, I saw someone i know drawing mechinisms And I saw tetrahydrobenzoindole, other than the obvious what else could he have been drawing this for?
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 18:38

Looks like a useful intermediate for some cyclic compounds. It's pretty impossible to say what some random person would be drawing it for? Quick google search could show you it as an intermediate for photosensitized dye cells and other natural product synthesis applications. Considering how indoles are so versatile in medicine could be for darn near anything. Sheesh... I even recall in my organic chemistry book I had a question which specifically asked to create a route to that compound through an intramolecular E.A.S. reaction. Could of even been a biochemical pathway. Why not ask them if you know them instead of us?

A little friendly forum note, your title and post mention two different chemical names? One implies a very wonky ambigious compound and the other a common name for a pretty 'uncommon compound' (outside of total synthesis geeks).

Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
10-5-2014 at 23:23
rannyfash
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-8-2014 at 17:37

Thanks, its meant to be Tetrahydroxybenzo indole, I have checked how to edit posts but cant seem to see the 'edit post' button, I did not realise how ambiguous my original question was, during a practical my lecturer was just scribbling down mechanisms and he got a bit unnerved when he saw me looking, all i managed to see was the structure of tetrahydroxybenzo indole, part of the 'obvious' (to my mind) molecule LSD, I was just wondering if id actually caught him in the middle of working out a mechanism to synthesise LSD or whether he was working on the synthesis of another molecule, I thought that by asking here other people might know if the fragment has other uses I couldn't think of, googling it returned me with a huge amount of chemical properties pages and a few articles on how to synthesise it but none with any common uses, if my search method is not very good please let me know, I only want to know because I would find it funny knowing if my suspicion is true but I couldn't ask at the risk of jeopardising my position at university

[Edited on 13-8-2014 by rannyfash]
forgottenpassword
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-8-2014 at 23:55

Your interests are probably more narrow than his. Professional chemists can look at indole derivatives and not even think of drugs. Instead they think of bidentate ligands for ruthenium catalysed asymmetric hydrogenations, or some such...
rannyfash
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-8-2014 at 09:53

yup, I accept I have very narrow knowledge in chemistry at the moment, my interests have shifted but the knowledge still remains, bidentate? does the pi system donate a pair? or do you mean indole derivatives as a broad term, two indole groups in the same molecule
forgottenpassword
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-8-2014 at 10:34

I can't say that I had a particular bidentate chiral indole derived ruthenium ligand in mind! I was just making the point that he was probably synthesising something other than LSD!
rannyfash
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-8-2014 at 14:00

id agree with you there :L
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-8-2014 at 03:57

WTF?
The LSD molecule doesn't have any hydroxy groups.
Knowing the structure of LSD won't jeopardise your university career, but not knowing the difference between hydro and hydroxy will.
rannyfash
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-9-2014 at 08:43

the title is just a typo, it was meant to be hydro and even then i'm naming a molecule fragment, not part of the final structure

Go To Top