Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Sciencemadness comment box!
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 1-12-2014 at 21:26

Quote: Originally posted by mayko  
I don't see a consolidated Safety thread - such a thing should be stickied!
If others are busy, I can try to head this up.

Second that notion.

And one for safe, ethical disposal of chemicals/byproducts.
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 1-12-2014 at 21:49

I think it would be better left for the wiki to handle, as there probably wouldn't be too many posts.

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 1-12-2014 at 22:02

Quote: Originally posted by Brain&Force  
I think it would be better left for the wiki to handle, as there probably wouldn't be too many posts.
You're possibly right. But a discussion has benefits too.
I recall in the last month two threads where a discussion was certainly beneficial.

One was,
"Help I have filled the room with Chlorine. What do I do?"
The other
"My eyeses. They burns!"

The thing with both matters (safety and disposal) is that they are matters of ignorance. You don't know you are doing something wrong until you have a problem. If it was simply a case of looking up the safety information we would all do that. The problems happen when there is something that you simply haven't thought of. In that case a living discussion that is prominently located is a better document. Of course there is probably a way to link the discussion and the wiki together for maximum effect.
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 1-12-2014 at 22:39

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Quote: Originally posted by Brain&Force  
You're possibly right. But a discussion has benefits too.
I recall in the last month two threads where a discussion was certainly beneficial.

One was,
The other
"My eyeses. They burns!"

The thing with both matters (safety and disposal) is that they are matters of ignorance. You don't know you are doing something wrong until you have a problem. If it was simply a case of looking up the safety information we would all do that. The problems happen when there is something that you simply haven't thought of. In that case a living discussion that is prominently located is a better document. Of course there is probably a way to link the discussion and the wiki together for maximum effect.

Why not make it a wiki talk page? It's a good way to keep things archived.

[edit] I think this would be more effective if/when we have MediaWiki software installed.

[Edited on 2.12.2014 by Brain&Force]

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

Mood: High on forbidden fruit

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 09:47

Why do the superscripts not work? Anyone else notice this?

-The manipulator
We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know. -W. H. Auden
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 09:49

Yeah, they haven't been working for a while. I have no idea why. http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=59072
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 18:27

something to think about; if a thread is reported for spam, would there be a way to not direct the user BACK to the spam thread automatically? 'cause if you're not fast with the mouse, it gets even more views... just a thought.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 18:30

I don't think that matters, as the spam posts are deleted anyway...

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 18:40

they still get added views, which is what they are after no? online presence and number of hits right? or does the number of views not matter, just the online presence?
Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

Mood: High on forbidden fruit

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 19:00

Well views count for them, but just regestering an account here puts them higher up on Google's search results. Which is a "win" for them, so unless their accounts are deleted they still get what they want. Even if their posts get deleted before a single person views it.

-The manipulator
We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know. -W. H. Auden
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 20:07

I have a good idea. How about a new script, similar to the spam one, that when two or more people have reported a post mentioning "troll" or "trolling" in the report, the troll post is automatically changed to Comic Sans MS with a disclaimer attached to the front reading DO NOT FEED THIS TROLL. IT IS ALREADY SATIATED.

Dang, the font should have changed to Comic Sans from where I mentioned it to the end. :(
I guess a well meaning individual must have disabled that font. I don't blame them.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 10-3-2015 at 12:02

It's still Comic Sans to me.

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 10-3-2015 at 12:07

Weird, looking at it on another device, it did change the font, but not to Comic Sans.

Is this Comic Sans?

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 10-3-2015 at 13:41

Yes.

Zom.
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 10-3-2015 at 19:37

Woah, weird, I just switched to Safari from Firefox, and I can now see the Comic Sans! I wonder why Firefox doesn't support it...

Edit: Never mind, I just went into my Firefox preferences and noticed that I had some weird setting selected preventing websites from using their own fonts. It's working fine now.

[Edited on 3-11-2015 by zts16]

gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 15-3-2015 at 07:52

I just noticed something interesting. On the home page, the square of white around the logo is slightly darker than the white background. The background has a ratio of R255:G255:B255, while the logo has a ratio of R254:G254:B254.
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-3-2015 at 14:37

One was,
The other
"My eyeses. They burns!"

I find that more a matter of poor preparation than something that can be resolved in realtime. That's why safety procedures are established in labs rather than help hotlines. My opinion is that people with questions should probably run their work past someone in advance rather than cause a fire, flood a room with corrosives, or the like, and then expect a bailout after the fact. A little preparation (ventilation, fire extinguisher) and proper technique (slow addition of small amounts of reagents with an unknown reaction to observe heat/gas evolution), and a proper understanding of the reagents' properties (flammability, peroxide formation, etc.) should reduce most problems.
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 16-3-2015 at 22:49

I couldn't agree more chemosynthesis.

As I recall, the discussion at the time was on the relevance of a safety thread. This was my vote in favour of the idea. I am all for research and adequate preparation and caution especially in the first run. But there can still be blind spots. A dedicated place to discuss these matters would be good. I see it working somethng like this:

Quote:
I want to perform zyx reaction using chemA as a substitute for chemB. The equipment I have at hand is three yadayadayada beakers and an autoinvertable thingamabob. I have identified the following risks... and intend to take these precautions.... I have read procedure ABC where there were problems with the doohickey but think these problems can be mitigated against by having an open window.
Can anyone see any issues that I may have overlooked before I proceed?

The suggestion was made that a livewiki might work better for this kind of conversation but I kinda like this format.
I agree that assessing potential issues prior to the fact is infinitely better than navigating a guided panic situation after it goes pear-shaped. However, having a dedicated space to discuss safety issues will also allow for retrospective discussion and learning from any mistakes that do occur.
subsecret
Hazard to Others

Mood: Human Sadness - Julian Casablancas & the Voidz

[*] posted on 17-3-2015 at 18:45

It would be neat if the forum had a "like" feature for individual posts, though this might be difficult to incorporate. This way, people could contribute to threads without necessarily typing things out; it would be like a continuous poll.

Fear is what you get when caution wasn't enough.
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 18-3-2015 at 00:39

Actually, the absence of a "like" button is one of the things I really value about the boards I frequent. I think that it is important in a forum like this that brain cells are engaged whenever contribution is made and that substantiable content is valued over opinion.
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 18-3-2015 at 10:54

I actually value karma systems in technical forums. Wildly off-base posts usually wind up marked as such. It does tend to stifle debate elsehwere, though.
subsecret
Hazard to Others

Mood: Human Sadness - Julian Casablancas & the Voidz

[*] posted on 18-3-2015 at 18:14

Actually, the absence of a "like" button is one of the things I really value about the boards I frequent. I think that it is important in a forum like this that brain cells are engaged whenever contribution is made and that substantiable content is valued over opinion.

You're right; this way we hear more rather than less.

Fear is what you get when caution wasn't enough.
KesterDraconis
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 31-3-2015 at 20:42

I don't know where else to post this, but it seems the most relevant thread (as this is a comment on the forum as a whole).

I love it, and I am thankful for it. I found this forum after a bit of searching, wondering if there was a place where I could ask questions regarding certain chemical processes and really just anything to do with the amateur chemistry I do in my backyard. (I hope to make chemistry my profession one day)

The beauty is, I don't have to even make posts. I can just do a little looking and pretty easily find a thread in which my problems or questions are addressed at some point or another. People have, quite often, gone over many problems at many angles and thus done away with my need to even ask!

To add to this, the discussion here seems civil enough through the many threads and pages I've read so far, and most everything seems to be said in understandable language. Altogether, I am humbled and happy to be able to use this resource!

[Edited on 1-4-2015 by KesterDraconis]
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 31-3-2015 at 21:55

I love you already KesterDraconis.

Your sentiments are what drove me to join, and the same sentiments keep me here.

It's a great group, and there is sooooooooooo much to learn here.
I hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do.

Nice first post. No doubt!

Zom.
morganbw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-4-2015 at 00:05

Quote: Originally posted by KesterDraconis  

The beauty is, I don't have to even make posts. I can just do a little looking and pretty easily find a thread in which my problems or questions are addressed at some point or another. People have, quite often, gone over many problems at many angles and thus done away with my need to even ask!

To add to this, the discussion here seems civil enough through the many threads and pages I've read so far, and most everything seems to be said in understandable language. Altogether, I am humbled and happy to be able to use this resource!

[Edited on 1-4-2015 by KesterDraconis]

Same here:)
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top