Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Sciencemadness comment box!
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 17-9-2015 at 14:51

How hard would it be to include a nice prominent link to the Short Questions Thread right on the front page of the forum? I think that would help stem the flow of unnecessary new threads if the newer/less experienced members see it before starting new threads.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 17-9-2015 at 16:14

I like the idea.
kecskesajt
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-9-2015 at 06:21

From mobile or tablet,I can't download files.But I can download on PC.Why is that happening?
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 27-9-2015 at 21:27

right place?

so I have been having trouble on my laptop with posting; after commenting on the thread it says it will forward me to the conversation again as usual, but gets stuck staring at that screen for a WHILE. it never did that before a week ago. no clue if my kid "helped me" by pressing something. so no clue how to find out where to look for the fix. any pointers would be great. thanks guys.

I do use addblocker for pop up controll, and that is about it( disabled on scimad). lappy is dell with windows running firefox browser.

edit test

[Edited on 28-9-2015 by violet sin]
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 27-9-2015 at 21:38

Dunno. Try a different browser for diagnostic.
[edit]
I'm using Chrome, if that helps.

[Edited on 28-9-2015 by j_sum1]
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 27-9-2015 at 21:45

well, ya, it seems fire fox doesn't want to cooperate but internet explorer will work. just don't care for it. Ill see what add-on's I have integrated recently. thanks j_sum1
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 22-7-2016 at 14:32

* Can some fields be added to the member information table to reflect current social media platforms? Twitter and YouTube have healthy chemistry communities.

* Can this thread be topped?

* When do prepublications get advanced to publication status? The member publications section hasn't been updated in some time, and a lot of mature writing seems to just be languishing in prepub limbo:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/member_publications/index.html

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 22-7-2016 at 15:06

* Can some fields be added to the member information table to reflect current social media platforms? Twitter and YouTube have healthy chemistry communities.

That would be nice. The ones currently available really show the forum's age. I'd never heard of Aim or ICQ before!

* Can this thread be topped?

Sure.

* When do prepublications get advanced to publication status? The member publications section hasn't been updated in some time, and a lot of mature writing seems to just be languishing in prepub limbo:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/member_publications/index.html

I don't know why the publications section has been so quiet lately, but another option is to "publish" a procedure to the Wiki, which can be done by anyone who requests editing access from me.

Texium
Administrator
Thread Topped
22-7-2016 at 15:06
mayko
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-7-2016 at 08:41

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  

I'd never heard of Aim or ICQ before!

heh, I clearly remember 2002 as a techno-social turning point, when my friends stopped asking for phone numbers as flirtation, and began asking for AIM screen names :D

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 24-7-2016 at 08:58

Haha, there's some people on here who have misinterpreted the meaning of the Aim field and put things along the lines of "To learn about amateur chemistry" in it

MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-7-2016 at 09:47

You dang kids and your twitters and your facepages! Back in my day we had to crank the phone up and talk to the operator!

(I'm not actually that old. But it is weird that people are around now that don't know what AIM is!)
KesterDraconis
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 26-8-2016 at 18:52

I'll say it again, I don't know where to put this, but this place seems somewhat relevant to the message I want to give.

I transferred to a larger university than my local community college recently, its a pretty well ranked university nationally and globally too. Today I walked into my first "official" organic chemistry lab. I'm finally here at "the big university" as it were. I'm not at a tiny little community college and I'm advancing in terms of my chemistry knowledge. However, as I walked in today, I took the time to observe. Around me were people, some had lab coats with tie dye on them, others had new coats from the university store, and many more simply had plain white coats. I carried mine in one hand, a little less white, many stains here and there that would not wash out despite all my efforts. In the lab itself I laid one of my bare hands onto a lab table/bench just after being briefed about safety for acids and proper clean up. My hand started to itch a little, and I knew that at some point someone hadn't followed the very procedures which had just talked about. When I examined my lab glassware kit, I found a few beakers that were chipped badly, and found others with warping around the glass or lip that I had to report and replace. Nobody had cared for that glassware, they had just thrown it around while getting a grade. And then, in regards to grades, I was told by a TA that getting an A would just be impossible in this lab and not to even try/stress about it. It was new, foreign, distasteful, and yet, a challenging excitement.

I yearned for my own lab again. My glassware. My cleanliness. My rules. And then again, I also felt very, very ambitious...and also very ready.

I want to thank you guys here at sciencemadness again. I haven't posted much, I've mostly just read here because this place is such a resource, and that is what I'm mostly thankful for. I've learned and grown here as a result of your guidance and aid. The stains on my lab coat, the knowledge of how to properly clean up, an understanding of a lot of lab safety, and the straight A grades I've made so far. I've made it to where I am today, received these things, and gained my passion for chemistry; in part from your own passion for it. I've delved into the art and science of amateur experimentalism, and in that pursuit done a lot which I know most of my peers have never even come close to touching. Its wonderful, its appreciated, and as I push this new horizon (TA be damned, he just made a dare to me), I'm doing so confidently in part because of the way I feel this forum has helped to prepare me. Thanks again, and when I get the time to unpack my lab during winter break, you can bet I will be back on here ASAP with at least one thing or another. Hopefully, one day, I'll be experienced enough to make some very significant contribution here, and give back a little of what I've been given.

[Edited on 27-8-2016 by KesterDraconis]
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 27-8-2016 at 07:31

University teaching labs, especially lower-level ones, are often full of students who aren't particularly enthusiastic about chemistry. All those pre-meds and pre-pharms that take organic chemistry lab generally don't care much for it. University research labs, in contrast, are usually much better.

I don't know about your TA/professor, but getting an A in organic chemistry lab was pretty easy for me with all the previous experience I had.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
myristicinaldehyde
Hazard to Others

Mood: сорок пять

[*] posted on 29-8-2016 at 10:19

When does "Prepublication" get moved to www.sciencemadness.org/member_publications/index.html? Who does it?

11pubs, 180 pre pubs, and it seems the newest one is from 2012...
crystal grower
Hazard to Others

Mood: Puzzled

[*] posted on 3-10-2016 at 06:37

+Can there be added an option to delete/edit your vote in a poll? It would be up to the author of the b whether he include this option to he poll or not.
I am thinking about a poll about element collection where you could write what elements do you have in your collection and the edit button would be very useful in case you extend your collection. (And I think it would be also appreciated in other polls.

[Edited on 3-10-2016 by crystal grower]

Elements collected:31/92
Last acquired: Co
Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page
Also make sure to check out my and hegi's website :) :
http://pieceofscience.com
Thanks.
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 3-10-2016 at 07:05

Well, you can only select one option in a poll, so a poll about what elements people have wouldn't be very useful. I would recommend just starting a normal thread (or maybe a poll with "how many elements do you have" and several ranges to choose from), and then after several people have responded, generate your own bar graph using Excel or something similar to show how many people have each element. That could be updated occasionally as more people reply to the thread.

crystal grower
Hazard to Others

Mood: Puzzled

[*] posted on 3-10-2016 at 07:11

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
Well, you can only select one option in a poll, so a poll about what elements people have wouldn't be very useful. I would recommend just starting a normal thread (or maybe a poll with "how many elements do you have" and several ranges to choose from), and then after several people have responded, generate your own bar graph using Excel or something similar to show how many people have each element. That could be updated occasionally as more people reply to the thread.

Ah well, I just realized it's only possible to select one option in a poll:).
Ok, so I'll have to try it in a different way.

[Edited on 3-10-2016 by crystal grower]

Elements collected:31/92
Last acquired: Co
Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page
Also make sure to check out my and hegi's website :) :
http://pieceofscience.com
Thanks.
mayko
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 08:00

There's several major threads with more than 40 pages floating around (from Today's Posts alone: Short Questions IV, References & Translations X, and E&M Short Questions). My understanding is that the forum search engine doesn't parse 40+ pages well, which is why these threads have traditionally been split into parts. Maybe it's time to do some chunking?

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 08:02

I was under the impression that this was a misconception, or that it is no longer the case. I could be wrong though. Could anyone verify with empirical evidence that it would be beneficial to split up these large threads?

mayko
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 09:48

I might have missed that. A couple of searches seemed to disconfirm the idea; I could return pages from both the start and the end of an 85 page thread, so the most obvious problem doesn't seem to be in place.

DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 17-7-2018 at 02:45

A forum section for Analytical Chemistry might be nice

CharlieA
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-7-2018 at 16:09

I second the motion! I suspect that home chemists (especially me)could/should make more use of classical analytical methods to characterize their products. I suppose if I had a mass spectrometer, and UV/visible/IR spectrophotometers, and wasn't an old fossil, I probably wouldn't feel this way. :D
MJ101
Hazard to Self

Mood: Always Sunny

[*] posted on 17-7-2018 at 16:18

@DavidJR: I'd like to see that too. I think it would be great to see how it is/was done when none
of the fancy diagnostic tools were available.

SnailsAttack
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-6-2023 at 23:28

this thread hasn’t been added to in 5 years, but I’d like to suggest adding collapsible ‘spoiler’ tabs to reduce clutter in posts where I feel like going on a tangent

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 28-6-2023 at 00:35

The thread was probably a good idea. But the evidence is that it has not been taken up by members. I forgot it existed.

Stickies don't do much. I think most people keep an eye on "today's posts", their own current conversations and then search. I don't think there are many who browse starting from the forums.

Removing a sticky label takes only a second. Happy to do it. But, having resuscitated this thread I will delay for a day or two and see if it comes to life.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top