Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Beginning chemistry.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 1-6-2014 at 13:09

"fractional crystalization" AKA "freeze distilation" works well for concentrating Ethanol as well ;)

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

numos
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-6-2014 at 13:27

Another rewarding reaction that can be made with OTC chemicals is Chlorobutanol. It can be made by adding chloroform (many tutorials out there) to acetone in the presence of an alkali hydroxide.

45ml acetone, and a gram of Na/KOH are added to a flask in an ice/salt bath. Slowly add 5ml of chloroform, keeping the temp under 5oC stir intimately for 10min and then put it in the fridge for two hours, stiring every 20min or so. Then after that boil the mixture (Not with open flame! This is the first time I witnessed the burning beaker phenomenon) to get rid of excess acetone, it will thicken, I found this to occur at around 1/4 of the original volume.

Finally pour the slurry into ice cold water, white chlorobutanol will crystallize out. Filter, dry, recrystallize in water, and dry again.

You will be left with a wonderfully smelling waxy substance.

Reference:
https://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/chlorobutan...

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 1-6-2014 at 13:59

Nice !
Now there's something(s) i gotta do. Thanks !

NexusDNA
Hazard to Others

Mood: Liberated from cocoon

[*] posted on 1-6-2014 at 15:21

Is it somewhat less potent than chloral hydrate? The structures are very similar.

There's a fun story that a bartender, Mickey Finn, used chloral hydrate to knock out some of his customers and rob them. They'd wake up the next day without knowing what happened. Probably not something too healthy to play with! hahaha
numos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-6-2014 at 21:38

Quote: Originally posted by NexusDNA  
Is it somewhat less potent than chloral hydrate? The structures are very similar.

I do believe it is slightly less potent, but unlike Chloral hydrate, Chlorobutanol is legal to own without a prescription in the US.

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 2-6-2014 at 06:06

Quote: Originally posted by numos  

Reference:

Interesting, but the site you linked to... Is that a drug making site? I'd prefer if people didn't ref. them, I don't want to be tagged as a cook going to such a site. (Go to https://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/ to see what I mean about 'cookery') I could be wrong, and it's just a o.chem site, but it has an air of question-ability...

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 2-6-2014 at 06:14

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  

Reference:

Interesting, but the site you linked to... Is that a drug making site? I'd prefer if people didn't ref. them, I don't want to be tagged as a cook going to such a site. (Go to https://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/ to see what I mean about 'cookery') I could be wrong, and it's just a o.chem site, but it has an air of question-ability...

It is what you think it is. Its a "snapshot" of Rhodium's (google "the hive") now offline site. HOWEVER there is a lot of outstanding chemistry there. You're in the wrong hobby if you are afraid of being "tagged"; chances are you already are. O Chem IS drug chemistry and if you don't think the "three letter agencies" (DEA, NSA, FBI,etc) don't keep an eye on this site you're probably living in a fantasy land.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-6-2014 at 06:26
Grr...

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  

Reference:

It is what you think it is. Its a "snapshot" of Rhodium's (google "the hive") now offline site. HOWEVER there is a lot of outstanding chemistry there. You're in the wrong hobby if you are afraid of being "tagged"; chances are you already are. O Chem IS drug chemistry and if you don't think the "three letter agencies" (DEA, NSA, FBI,etc) don't keep an eye on this site you're probably living in a fantasy land.

Thanks for the info. on it. Is it safe to google "the hive" ? :) What is it/does it mean? I noticed the outstanding chemistry in the linked article, looks well done, to bad it's knowledge is for cookery. (Did Rhodium ever participate here?) I'm not afraid of being tagged for buying chemicals online, and talking here, I don't mind that. The 3-letters know almost all people here don't make drugs. But I DON'T want to be tagged going to a drug site. That's all. I'd prefer a NSFW tag or analogous for such sites being linked to, so I can at least know to decide if it's worth it. I'm happy it was at least secure https... :P

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 2-6-2014 at 09:57

if you don't think the "three letter agencies" (DEA, NSA, FBI,etc) don't keep an eye on this site

We are not !
None of us are even signed up as members, and we never ever look at it, and would never take down any names, aliases, chems interested in, procedures apparently done, or anything like that. Honest.

NexusDNA
Hazard to Others

Mood: Liberated from cocoon

[*] posted on 2-6-2014 at 10:23

It may be very didactic, it may be very fun and rewarding, it may be complex and beautiful. Still, synthesizing drugs is illegal [in most of the world]. It would be better to keep the discussion on the theory level. I don't know about chlorobutanol, but erowid is a clandestine chemistry site.

Not trying to blame anyone, don't get me wrong! :D
numos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-6-2014 at 10:45

As I mentioned, chlorobutanol is not regulated or illegal, as far as I know. Frankly I don't care where I get my information from, if a "clandestine chem site" has a good write up of a legal chemical I'm going to use it. Wikipedia has syth info for some illegal drugs too, does that make it a clandestine chem site?

[Edited on 6-2-2014 by numos]

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-6-2014 at 12:48

Quote: Originally posted by DEA, NSA, FBI,etc  
if you don't think the "three letter agencies" (DEA, NSA, FBI,etc) don't keep an eye on this site

We are not !
None of us are even signed up as members, and we never ever look at it, and would never take down any names, aliases, chems interested in, procedures apparently done, or anything like that. Honest.

You appear to know too much about chemistry to be one of them. Honestly, my activity on this site is the best proof that I am no cook.

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 2-6-2014 at 13:40

You appear to know too much about chemistry to be one of them

Read that again slowly and you will see that it is insane.

Firstly i'm just a fast learner. I really did start chemistry around 2 months back.
Secondly 'they' can easily employ one of 'us'.
That means that some of 'us' are 'them'.
There is no practical distinction.

Knowledge is Power, and knowledge of Chemistry can be very powerful indeed.
Govts know that, and so assume that you are being watched.
We all are anyway, in one way or another.

Don't be afraid unless you plan on doing something Nasty or Illegal.

EDIT: or damage the Money someone gets. That tends to be bad too.

[Edited on 2-6-2014 by aga]

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-6-2014 at 13:44

Quote: Originally posted by NSA  

Don't be afraid unless you plan on doing something Nasty or Illegal.

You're right, of course.

Watched one way or another...

tomholm
Owner of BME Lab and Science and Elemental Scientific

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 20:00
Overstock Sale!

Just want to let you all know that Elemental Scientific is putting some of its overstock items on sale in its Overstock Category. This is a great opportunity to stock up on supplies for your lab.

We will continue to add items, glassware, clamps, pipettes, and chemicals, so keep checking to see what's new!
Sale will continue while supplies last.

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 14:15

Quote: Originally posted by tomholm  
Just want to let you all know that Elemental Scientific is putting some of its overstock items on sale in its Overstock Category. This is a great opportunity to stock up on supplies for your lab.

We will continue to add items, glassware, clamps, pipettes, and chemicals, so keep checking to see what's new! Sale will continue while supplies last.

I wasn't able to find your site via Google, unless you changed how it looks.... What's the URL?

gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 16:53

http://www.elementalscientific.net
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 18:59

Quote: Originally posted by gdflp  
http://www.elementalscientific.net

Thanks. I just didn't recognise thee front page.

Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-6-2014 at 13:52

I recommend acetone or metanol for a first time as they have a nice low boiling point and don't require even a fraction of the heat to evaporate than is needed to evaporate water.

when you distill acetone in large batches (3l+) be sure to not boil to dryness or you will be stuck with a coating on your flask that smells of cat piss and is hard to get off

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
nannah
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-6-2014 at 14:12

I am interested in improving my distillation skills, so i would appreciate tips. Fractional, steam and vacuum. Since i last visited this thread i have made some mash that should be ready now.

So, i wonder, do you think that it´s a good idea to set up for simple distillation with a 250 ml flask maximum.

I have one prob though. I don´t have a fume hood, or any sort of ventilation. No backyard, or even balcony.
So, i thought that maybe if i point a fan (just one of those ordinary ones everyone keeps at home), full blast and open up my windows wide open.
You guys think it can be sufficient?

Roger: Can i get a closer description of the NH3 purification procedure, if you have it? Some reference i mean. :) It sounds pretty interesting, like the HCl one.
Easy methods that don´t require super advanced glassware. Recently i happened to actually find an old 25% NH3 that i have thought of could be good practice to try to purify in some way. The best and easiest way i found required at a minimum of two gas washing bottles, and that i don´t have.

Also, CuSO4. Is that the slug repellant that you use in the garden? If so, it could be interesting and useful to try to make some.

Numas: It sounds like a simple process that could fit me. What are the use of Chlorobutanol besides the obvious use? :)

Volitile: Are https:// a kind of "secure http://"? I always click the Http:// when entering.

Thanks guys for trying to help me out.
nannah
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-7-2014 at 14:00

I´m sorry to pick up on this old thread, but i just wanted to ask if someone could recommend me a good book that suits me, and my level of skill.

I have just read "The Organic Chem Lab Survival Handbook" by James W. Zubrick, cover to cover for about the fifth time, and i think i have it all covered.

A while back i bought a book online thats called "The Disconnection Approach" by Warren & Wyatt. I think i had more then i could chew, and had a hard time understand it. So if maybe i should read something more basic so i can understand this book when the time is ready to go fourth.

Also, i should say that most of the time i can have a hard time keeping the focus on the book and learning it, when it gets too much, if you know what i mean. So i will probably need more of a "fun" informative book instead of one that pumps out info, with no learning stimulation quality.

I also am kind of "half reading" a book that i found very interesting called "Handbook of heterogeneous catalytic hydrogenation for organic synthesis" by a guy called Nishimura. I just read it for fun, but it is very interesting stuff.

I hope you can help me out guys. :) Thanks in advance.

[Edited on 16-7-2014 by nannah]
Ascaridole
Hazard to Self

Mood: Searching for glass....

[*] posted on 16-7-2014 at 15:21

Hi nannah, first let me ask what is your educational background. Have you had general chemistry classes yet? If not some good experiments can be scrounged from the Vernier site. They make probes and equipment for use in school labs but also write lab manuals and provide "samples" of the labs on their site. While not complete they should give you some ideas of experiments and link them to concepts you could read up in a general chemistry text book. If its a text book your looking for Chemistry by Raymond Chang is my preference, the best in my opinion.

However judging by your current reading material I'd hazard a guess you want organic chemistry experiments? If so "A Microscale Approach to Organic Laboratory Techniques" by D. Pavia covers most of the cornerstone experiments in a college level organic chemistry lab. While most of the experiments will be out of reach as the reagents are hard to get some are doable. A text book that would go well with this lab manual is Organic Chemistry by John McMurry. Solomons is another popular text but it didn't impress me.

Another good source is UC235 on youtube, good techniques, easy experiments, good explanations of reaction mechanisms and overall very enjoyable.

If you are into analytical chemistry Quantitative chemical analysis by Harris is a good text. It's not heavy into experiments but for theory it will suffice. For experimental procedures in analytical chemistry you will probably have to go to a college library and search for some older books. Most analytical experiments are not practical at home without a 1mg or better balance.

Hope this list helps!

Ascaridole, the masked bandit of chemistry!
nannah
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-7-2014 at 00:50

Quote: Originally posted by Ascaridole  
Hi nannah, first let me ask what is your educational background. Have you had general chemistry classes yet? If not some good experiments can be scrounged from the Vernier site. They make probes and equipment for use in school labs but also write lab manuals and provide "samples" of the labs on their site. While not complete they should give you some ideas of experiments and link them to concepts you could read up in a general chemistry text book. If its a text book your looking for Chemistry by Raymond Chang is my preference, the best in my opinion.

However judging by your current reading material I'd hazard a guess you want organic chemistry experiments? If so "A Microscale Approach to Organic Laboratory Techniques" by D. Pavia covers most of the cornerstone experiments in a college level organic chemistry lab. While most of the experiments will be out of reach as the reagents are hard to get some are doable. A text book that would go well with this lab manual is Organic Chemistry by John McMurry. Solomons is another popular text but it didn't impress me.

Another good source is UC235 on youtube, good techniques, easy experiments, good explanations of reaction mechanisms and overall very enjoyable.

If you are into analytical chemistry Quantitative chemical analysis by Harris is a good text. It's not heavy into experiments but for theory it will suffice. For experimental procedures in analytical chemistry you will probably have to go to a college library and search for some older books. Most analytical experiments are not practical at home without a 1mg or better balance.

Hope this list helps!

Thanks for taking your time helping me out a little. I don't have any chemistry backround, at all. And i think im too old (late 20's) signing up for a class. Its more of a hobby for me, just for fun. Even though i never actually done any experiments yet.

I am already a big fan of Nurd Rage and all of the other youtube channels that cover chem experiment and such.

But anyway, thanks again and i will makw sure that ill check them out. :)
Ascaridole
Hazard to Self

Mood: Searching for glass....

[*] posted on 17-7-2014 at 01:18

Hahaha 20's nahh..... I know of a 82 year old guy who went back to college to take o-chem just to see if it really was that hard.... never to late.... besides there is a lot of benefits to taking a class, if you have time for it take the labs so you can learn GLP (Good laboratory practice) and proper techniques on keeping notes and recording data, etc.

Still no experiments? Just find something you think is interesting and get to work. Rome wasn't built in a day but it wouldn't have been built unless someone made the decision to lay the first stone... or brick or whatever they laid first... you get my point.

Ascaridole, the masked bandit of chemistry!
nannah
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-7-2014 at 05:19

I actually thought that i would start with distilling some H2O, and then after i feel safe with it i thought that maybe purifying some paint thinner.

I just need a fume hood first before i feel safe heating solvents. I can't do it outside the house either becouse of my neighbours.

Anyway, thanks 4 your responce. <3
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top