Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What is your way of clearly and easily storing mild solid/powdered reagents
Electra
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-5-2014 at 12:46
What is your way of clearly and easily storing mild solid/powdered reagents

Over the months I have come to have a lot of various different reagents. I can probably count at least 30 different ones laying around. I've been storing them in the bags they came in, but this is just disorganized and not visually appealing to the eyes.

I've been considering using various sizes of zip-lock containers from a store like Walmart, and while none of these reagents are unstable or hazardous, I do not entirely trust the durability of these thin containers, as they are made for storing food products.

Right now I'm looking at:
http://www.uline.com/Grp_287/Jars

My biggest concern is to find jars that won't break and that have durable lids. While some of my reagents are in small quantities (under 100g), others are in 2-3kg quantities simply because it was the minimum quantity the manufacturer offered.

All suggestions are welcomed. I'm looking to have my cabinet clearly labeled and neatly organized.
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 25-5-2014 at 12:51

Have you checked eBay? There's a whole world of containers to choose from, in varying sizes and materials. There's a thread on labelling chemicals on the forum which has a lot of nice designs.

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
numos
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-5-2014 at 13:25

If you want containers that are high quality and chemically resistant then ask Bob, he has a plethora of vials and bottles, and the price is as low as it gets.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=15667

S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 26-5-2014 at 08:00

I bought some steel lockable cabinets previously used for storing dead insects, made some plywood shelves, and will put wheels on them some day...inside some of them, the hardware, homemade, and bagged solids went in mason jars. Except oddly enough the sodium, which is in ziplocs, in paint cans.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden

Go To Top