Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Alexander Shulgin has died
Nickdul
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 07:18
Alexander Shulgin has died

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/jun/03/alexander-shu...
I know he is regarded as a somewhat contentious chemist, or rather has recently become such. Still, his contributions to organic synthesis cannot be overlooked.
RIP :(
gregxy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 09:53

He invented 200 drugs in his "home lab", and probably tried them all himself, and lived to be 88. Either he was really smart, really lucky, or chemicals aren't as harmful as one would think.
Haber
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 10:52

A great man however controversial, may he rest in peace.

[Edited on 3-6-2014 by Haber]
Manifest
Script Kiddie Asshole

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 11:12

Sad, this thread isn't Legal Or Societal, I think we need a general chat subforum.
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 11:13

That's what Whimsy's for.

Manifest
Script Kiddie Asshole

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 12:11

There aren't many people in Whimsy because you have to request access.
NexusDNA
Hazard to Others

Mood: Liberated from cocoon

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 12:22

More than a respectable "mad-scientist", Shulgin was an icon of counterculture. May he rest in peace.

We do have a chat channel, if you don't know, which doesn't require permissions: #sciencemadness at EFnet. One who doesn't have an IRC client can enter here: http://www.efnet.org/.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 13:58

He was an amazing human being and scientist. May he rest in peace.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 18:51

God Bless You, Sasha

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 20:25

The world is worse off with his passing. May he RIP.

I felt shitty all day after hearing of this.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 21:04

I don't care how other people felt about his work, it was how he felt about it that made him a true scientist. dedication to pushing the boundaries of the unknown. I also hope he rests in peace. what an inspirational guy...
alexleyenda
Hazard to Others

Mood: Busy studying chemistry at the University

[*] posted on 3-6-2014 at 21:22

I never heard of him before but after I read all this, I can say he is a real source of inspiration
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 03:47

A nice read http://m.vice.com/en_ca/read/the-last-interview-with-alexand...
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 03:53

......he will be missed, a true pioneer of what is available through investigation and actual lab experimenting, he used himself as a tester to his discoveries.......he left a good example of what can be accomplished with dedication and conviction.....R.I.P.,...solo

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 08:00

He was an inspiring man and a true scientist
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 08:09

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  
A nice read http://m.vice.com/en_ca/read/the-last-interview-with-alexand...

That was priceless. Thanx mail as I would have never otherwise ran across it.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 08:20

May his legend live on.

Quote:
PIHKAL pp 142-143:

I said, "I would love to hear about your work."
He began, "Do you know what psychopharmacology is?"
"Not really."
"I think I told you, the last time we talked, that I am a chemist and a psychopharmacologist. Actually, what I do is somewhat different that what is done by most of the other people who call themselves psychopharmacologists. Everyone in this particular discipline studies the effect of drugs on the central nervous system, which is what I also do. But most of them study those effects in animals, and I study them in humans. I don't investigate all kinds of drugs, just a certain kind in particular."
"What certain kind in particular?"
"The drugs that I work with are called psychedelics or psychotomimetics. I assume you've heard something about them?"
"You mean, things like mescaline and LSD?"
"Exactly"
"Well, I've never had LSD, but one of the most extraordinary and important days of my life was the day I took peyote."
Shura leaned forward, "Really! When was that?"
"Oh, good grief, I think it was - I have to count backwards for a moment - I think about 15 years - no, more than that - maybe 20 years ago. A very interesting man who has since become a psychiatrist took me on the journey; his name is Sam Golding. Do you know him?"
Shura laughed, "Yes, I know Sam very well. We did a lot of work together in the 60's; in fact, he co-authored a couple of papers with me. That was a long time ago, though. I haven't seen him for at least a year."
"Sam's an unusual man, and he was a good guide for me. I haven't seen him in years, either. Anyway - go on."
"About 20 years ago, I left a very good job with a large company I'm sure you've heard of, Dole Chemical?"
I nodded.
"I went back to school, to learn everything I could about the central nervous system. It was a somewhat risky thing to do, since I had a wife and child to support, but Helen went to work as a librarian at the university, without even a hint of protest - she was totally supportive, bless her - then, after I'd done two years of medical school, I set to work creating a private laboratory in a large room about a hundred yards behind my house. It had been the basement of my family's first home on this property. The house burned down one summer and everything was lost except that perfectly good basement. Then I went through the long process of finding out how to deal with the red tape and the authorities, in order to get the kind of license I needed for what I wanted to do, which is an interesting story for another time. And become a consultant."
I was still tasting the promising words, "... an interesting story for another time," and had to replay the mental voice tape quickly to catch up.
"What kind of consultant?"
"In the field of the effects of psychoactive drugs on the human sensorium, particularly those kinds called psychedelic. I begun publishing everything I was doing and discovering. And I continued to find new ones - new drugs."
I shifted in my chair, my knee bumping his, not sure I understood. "You found new psychedelics?"
"I invented new ones. I still invent them. I try each new drug out on myself, starting at extremely low levels and gradually increasing the amount until I get activity. I saves a lot of mice and dogs, believe me. If I like what I'm seeing with the new compound, I run it through my research group. After that, I write up the results and publish them in a journal, usually a very respected one called the Journal of Medicinal Chemistry."
Jesus Aitch! I can't believe this! He INVENTS psychedelics!

PIHKAL pp 271:

"The first time I took mescaline," he said, "I was astonished to discover that the world I found myself in - this world - was what I had been surrounded by, as a child. I spent my childhood in a reality that looked and felt like this. Of course I thought everyone else saw and felt things the same way I did, until it gradually dawned on me that maybe it wasn't the same for other people. Other boys my age didn't seem to want to spend time looking closely into flowers or merging with beetles, as I loved doing when I was alone. Eventually, I began getting the idea that I was different in some way, and I learned not to talk about that kind of thing, and to imitate the behavior of the other boys at school, so I wouldn't draw attention -"
Shura leaned against the wall of the house, his eyes off in the distance.
"- because I knew instinctively that if others my age sensed any kind of difference, they would attack. So I behaved like everyone else until school was over and I could go home and have a couple of hours by myself doing what I liked to do."

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 4-6-2014 at 16:15

Quote:
May his legend live on.

...and may there be more of his sort in this world. Then again, there just can't be another one exactly like him. All this is sad.

sparky (~_~)

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-6-2015 at 07:22

I happened upon this documentary perhaps of interest.
Dirty Pictures Sasha Shulgin Documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nuy5m2ppCAA

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 19-6-2015 at 10:23

That was a good Docu. It seems the man had quite the interesting life.

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 15-11-2015 at 16:05

Quote: Originally posted by gregxy  
He invented 200 drugs in his "home lab", and probably tried them all himself, and lived to be 88. Either he was really smart, really lucky, or chemicals aren't as harmful as one would think.

He was a really nice guy. The 'group' met at his house from 196? to just before he published PiKHAL. I corresponded with him fairly regularly through the '90's and early 2000s. He was helpful with process and approaches. He was generous and funny. We found we had a lot in common. I miss him.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)

Go To Top