Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  14
Author: Subject: Chemistry Wiki Attempt
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 19-6-2014 at 16:43

That's why I asked about ad removal. I surf almost exclusively on my iPad. There's a blocker installed but it doesn't do anything for the layout.

It's kind of irritating sharing namespace with all the other wikis, too, though I don't know if anything can be done about that.

EDIT: Oooh, I like the colors. Would it be possible to either change the background to white and use the yellow for infoboxes etcetera, or change the green parts to the same gray that appears at the top of a forum thread (where the title is)?

[Edited on 6-20-2014 by Etaoin Shrdlu]
Texium
Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 19-6-2014 at 16:55

Ok, yeah, I understand your issue with the ads now! I'll probably be playing with the color scheme some more the next few days, but I think I'll stick with the green accents. I like the bit of color it adds. It would probably be rather drab with just gray, white, and beige. Although, another option would be to make the buttons gray like you suggested and make the links green instead of blue. That might be kind of strange though.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-6-2014 at 18:49

That would be strange. My thought was to try to limit the color scheme to yellows and gray-blues, since I find the green a bit jarring, but it's not a big deal and it does help the nav bar stand out.

Sorry I'm mostly categorizing things thus far. I should have more time this weekend.
Texium
Administrator

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 19-6-2014 at 18:56

Same here, I've made one actual page, for copper(II) sulfate, not including the main part of the iron which I made on the old wiki and copied in. Other than that, I've just been uploading pictures of things that I happen to have that we have pages for and categorizing things.

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 20-6-2014 at 06:52

It's going well so far! Hopefully we can get some more helpers...
On non chemical/closely related to chemicals pages:
We should have some on glassware and techniques. I made a page for glassware, but we need specific types pages.

Texium
Administrator

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 20-6-2014 at 08:00

That's a really good idea. Proper equipment in many cases can be as important as chemicals, so that's definitely something that the wiki should address.

Texium
Administrator

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 20-6-2014 at 13:06

Alright guys, I just got my daily email summing up the wiki activity for the day, and it appears that there are fewer and fewer edits and views each day! Let's keep working on it and not let it become sad and neglected like that old wiki!

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 20-6-2014 at 19:19

I noticed the change to a beige color for most pages (just got back from university orientation), and I think white looks better. (Light gray might also be good.) Don't worry, zts16, I'll be making edits over this summer.

Is there any way to view a list of all pages on the wiki?

[edit] did the editor also change too? I don't like the way it handles hyperlinks, and it's too difficult to add superscripts and subscripts.

[Edited on 21.6.2014 by Brain&Force]

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
alexleyenda
Hazard to Others

Mood: Busy studying chemistry at the University

[*] posted on 20-6-2014 at 20:50

I guess it just have to take its flight, not everyone is really aware of it yet ? And of course those who passed a lot of time on it at first are taking a break now... I see no reason why it would fade away, after some time it could answer like almost every single question in a clear way and with a search engine that does not suck :p Let's advertise it !
alexleyenda
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-6-2014 at 20:52

Just testing my signature..
Edit: Yay, the advertising works!

[Edited on 21-6-2014 by alexleyenda]

Help us build the Sciencemadness Wiki! Every question and tips about amateur chemistry two clicks away, wouldn't that be awesome?! sciencemadness.org/smwiki
Texium
Administrator

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 21-6-2014 at 06:13

Quote: Originally posted by Brain&Force  
I noticed the change to a beige color for most pages (just got back from university orientation), and I think white looks better. (Light gray might also be good.)
The color scheme will definitely have to be discussed more. Some people like the white, some the beige… it's all up in the air.

Is there any way to view a list of all pages on the wiki?
There's a link to a list of all pages on the Get Started page. That's a good place to find stuff like that.

[edit] did the editor also change too? I don't like the way it handles hyperlinks, and it's too difficult to add superscripts and subscripts.
I think you have the option to use a couple different editors. If you go to the drop-down menu next to edit, you have the option to use the visual editor. If you just click on edit, then it goes to the default editor, and from there you can also edit the source if that's what floats your boat. As for whether any of them have changed, I'm not sure. I didn't notice any changes when I was working on it last night. Maybe you were using the visual editor?

Quote: Originally posted by alexleyenda  
I guess it just have to take its flight, not everyone is really aware of it yet ? And of course those who passed a lot of time on it at first are taking a break now... I see no reason why it would fade away, after some time it could answer like almost every single question in a clear way and with a search engine that does not suck :p Let's advertise it !
Yeah, I guess I was unreasonable in my attempt at motivation. Hypocritical, in fact, since I hadn't done much since the 16th either! These were the stats from this week:

Screen Shot 2014-06-21 at 9.06.46 AM.png - 25kB
I just kind of panicked when I saw how the amount of edits was rapidly dropping 127, 86, 71… 16. At that rate it would simply cease the next day! But it came back though.

Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-6-2014 at 10:25

Haha, don't be too discouraged, zts. The 19th is a Thursday. Thursday is the Worst Day. Nobody wants to edit on a Thursday. ;)

[Edited on 6-21-2014 by Etaoin Shrdlu]
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 21-6-2014 at 10:41

Yes young fella--don't get discouraged. Have you noticed that THIS forum is generally at the top of chem related google searches? This is a brand new project.........

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-6-2014 at 11:01

Just in case anyone's unaware of how to add references, this is how you do it (the easy way, anyway).

Put this where you want your ref tag:
Code:
<ref>List your reference here; it can be as long as you like and even include notes or weblinks; it will show up as a number in the main text.</ref>

And put this section at the end of the article:
Code:
==References== <references/>

It will populate the end section with your refs automatically. See the Chlorine page where I put one in. [redacted]I'm going to try to fill out some of the other pages.[/redacted]

It'll look like this:
Quote:
This is how you add references.[1]

References
1: List your reference here; it can be as long as you like and even include notes or weblinks; it will show up as a number in the main text.

EDIT: Hmm, the Code box is broken here, at least on mobile. Nothing wraps.

EDIT AGAIN: Actually, I'm going to start illustrating some of these pages. The empty space where I expect chemical diagrams is almost painful. Do we have a preferred width for these?

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 23-6-2014 at 18:52

woelen has given us permission to use his photos, as well as material from his website, just as long as we attribute them to him (i.e. link to the page where the photo appears).

Polverone wants us to restrict access to those who are registered, and eventually migrate the wiki to the Sciencemadness servers.

I noticed I'm the only one who's edited the wiki today, apart from zts16. But it's a Monday - we'll see what happens.

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 23-6-2014 at 18:58

@ Etaoin--glad to know 'bout references *blush*. Never contributed shit to a wiki before. I can USE the guidance, because behind the haze of alcohol, I believe I actually have something to contribute.

"Long Live SciMad!!!"

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

alexleyenda
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-6-2014 at 20:25

I noticed I'm the only one who's edited the wiki today, apart from zts16. But it's a Monday - we'll see what happens.

I make a page from time to time, I just don't have the 30 min-3 hours to give to make a good page every day. I already got some stuff in mind, like salicylic acid, methyl salicylate and KClO3

Help us build the Sciencemadness Wiki! Every question and tips about amateur chemistry two clicks away, wouldn't that be awesome?! sciencemadness.org/smwiki
Texium
Administrator

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 24-6-2014 at 12:20

Quote: Originally posted by alexleyenda  

I make a page from time to time, I just don't have the 30 min-3 hours to give to make a good page every day. I already got some stuff in mind, like salicylic acid, methyl salicylate and KClO3
Yeah, that's the problem that I've found lately too. This month has been really busy for me, and I've only rarely had a decent chunk of uninterrupted time to write a page, so instead I just try to occasionally add a couple little things, or edit the behind-the-scenes workings of the wiki.

Texium
Administrator

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 27-6-2014 at 20:35

Wiki edits are dwindling to practically none. Not being critical, just pointing it out. Also, B&F, did you happen to ask Polverone if he will allow us to use the Sciencemadness logo for the wiki? It would be pretty cool if we could. Also, the migration to the forum's servers could happen whenever as far as I'm concerned. I don't know anything about that though. And I can't restrict access on the current platform, so if that's a requirement then we'll have to migrate it. I didn't share it though, so it doesn't appear on Wikia or on any of their other wikis, only if someone were to follow a link to it on here or find it on a search engine.

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 27-6-2014 at 21:47

Oh, yeah, I forgot to post that. As long as access is restricted to registered members, we can use the logo. But apparently you can't do that.

Yeah, I've noticed that edits have dropped - it's just you, me and alexleyenda.

alexleyenda
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-6-2014 at 10:25

Anyways i'll keep dropping the ressources I use and synthesis summaries so I will be able to find them easily later so no matter what happen I'll keep it up... maybe one day it'll really take off !

Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 28-6-2014 at 18:47

For those that are going to be contributing to this site a good deal, I can tell you now it will be very useful on compound or apparatus pages to list some of the places that these things can be found or bought. Then, anytime someone asks a question regarding where to find a particular reagent or piece of equipment, they can be quickly referred to the wiki page. It saves time, quickly answers the question, and hopefully adds more traffic and awareness to the wiki!
Texium
Administrator

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 28-6-2014 at 19:29

Quote: Originally posted by No Tears Only Dreams Now  
For those that are going to be contributing to this site a good deal, I can tell you now it will be very useful on compound or apparatus pages to list some of the places that these things can be found or bought. Then, anytime someone asks a question regarding where to find a particular reagent or piece of equipment, they can be quickly referred to the wiki page. It saves time, quickly answers the question, and hopefully adds more traffic and awareness to the wiki!
Yep, that's been in the plans from the start. I know I will do that for sure once I have time to really sit down and write some pages.

Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 29-6-2014 at 02:18

So I just found this and would love to contribute some stuff, gives me an excuse to take some nice photos of things...

One thing I would like to add is can people try to source the synthesis they post? Especially from places like this forum, I find that the discussion on the method, where people pick flaws or add advice is sometimes just as valuable as the method.

I'm talking about pages like this: http://sciencemadness.wikia.com/wiki/Nitrocellulose

It's also a good check to see if a synth is actually any good... I've had that a few times where i've followed a copy and pasted synth for something like NCl3 and found that the original writer says something like 'ive never tried this but it should work!' or 'we received 1% yeilds on this'.

If you've made it up, just give yourself credit... 'As determined and tested by Sciencemadness Member Tdep'

:)
alexleyenda
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-6-2014 at 08:15

Alright, I did it then, I added my name on nitrocellulose and salicylic acid's pages :p

Pages:  1    3    5  ..  14

Go To Top