Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  14
Author: Subject: Chemistry Wiki Attempt
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 3-7-2014 at 19:39

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
@The Volatile Chemist: Could you please use the new format for chemical compounds and elements? We're really trying to go for some cohesion on these pages. You can implement it by clicking the link at the top of the page when you create a new page.
Sorry, I read that part after I had edited.....oops :( Won't happen again.

quantime
Harmless

Mood: purple

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 00:34
good work

I think what you are doing is fantastic. I am teaching myself o-chem and I read your wiki as much as I can. I wish I could help, but I am not smart enough yet. I just wanted to say thanks to all of you persons who are doing the wiki.:)
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 4-7-2014 at 11:32

I think it's great that you've decided to start up chemistry, but you can definitely contribute if you want to! I've sat down multiple times to write articles on the very simplest of chemicals (table salt, for example :o). If you pick a chemical you'd like to know about and decide to write an article on it, you'll learn so much during the write-up that you'll basically be an expert on it. It's a great way to learn new things.

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-7-2014 at 06:02

50 pictures annd not yet 100 pages? Pictures are great, but this isnt wikimedia! Let's make some more stubs, guys...

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 5-7-2014 at 09:13

Stubs are fine to start with, but make sure to do more than just make stubs though. Also when you do make a stub, make sure to mark it with the {{stub}} template so that it will be visible on the list of stubs page.

And I can provide a lot of the pictures. I have a decent camera, so anything that I have I can provide a picture for, as I have with some things already. I actually plan on retaking a couple of the earlier ones, like the copper sulfate, because I found out how to focus my camera better for close-up shots.

Overall though, I'd have to say, it's looking really great! It's progressing a good bit faster than I originally expected it to.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 11:46

Can someone make a periodic table template (maybe just copying it from Wikipedia and modifying it will work) and a template for chemical compounds? This will help improve navigation and allow for addition of red links for new articles.

Also, just to reiterate, all photos that I post here (mostly in Pretty Pictures (2)) can be copied and used in the wiki. I still don't have an account, so I can't copy them myself. Just make sure to attribute them to me. woelen's photos can be used with attribution, and I believe kristofvagyok's can as well (again, with attribution). I'll send him a U2U.

My photos fall under a beerware-type license.

[Edited on 9.7.2014 by Brain&Force]

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 18-7-2014 at 13:24

Yup, kristof said yes to using the photos. The wiki's become quite inactive now...

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 18-7-2014 at 13:44

Yeah it has. I'm sorry for not having the burst of editing that I promised. As it turned out there was more stuff going on in July for me than I thought there was. Plus I find it easier to work on it when other people are too. It adds a little morale boost.

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-7-2014 at 05:56

Yeah it has. I'm sorry for not having the burst of editing that I promised. As it turned out there was more stuff going on in July for me than I thought there was. Plus I find it easier to work on it when other people are too. It adds a little morale boost.

It definitely does :/ Lets make a boost day and advertize it on SM. That way everybody contributes at once, it's more encouraging when we get stuff done, and we get more people involved! You can choose a day, if you like the idea.

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-7-2014 at 12:06

All I can say in regards to the wiki is that it's going downhill... If we got more people to understand that the wiki would be the solidification of the information on this forum, procedures developed would be put there, information on reactions, etc. But it's not got enough visitors...

alexleyenda
Hazard to Others

Mood: Busy studying chemistry at the University

[*] posted on 26-7-2014 at 21:00

Unfortunately lots of things are going on in my life atm, I probably won't have any time for chemistry at home until next summer. I might still post a bit and finish what I was working on but yeah, I won't do much : /

Help us build the Sciencemadness Wiki! Every question and tips about amateur chemistry two clicks away, wouldn't that be awesome?! sciencemadness.org/smwiki
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-7-2014 at 15:22

Quote: Originally posted by alexleyenda  
Unfortunately lots of things are going on in my life atm, I probably won't have any time for chemistry at home until next summer. I might still post a bit and finish what I was working on but yeah, I won't do much : /

That's too bad! If there's anything we can do...?
Anyone know where zts is?

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 27-7-2014 at 21:42

I've just been having too much fun this month...my birthday and all. I'm so busy with all sorts of other things that I've been neglecting chemistry (it happens when you don't have a lab...)

alexleyenda
Hazard to Others

Mood: Busy studying chemistry at the University

[*] posted on 27-7-2014 at 21:59

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  

That's too bad! If there's anything we can do...?

Nah, sometime life really sucks, and i'm deep in a hole atm... It'll take some time and serious actions to get out of it. And in a month I'll be moving to an apartment, obviously I'll leave my chemistry things at my dad's house so, I won't really have chances to do any until university is over the summer. At least I'm in chemistry ! Anyways that's about that

Help us build the Sciencemadness Wiki! Every question and tips about amateur chemistry two clicks away, wouldn't that be awesome?! sciencemadness.org/smwiki
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 28-7-2014 at 07:04

Well I'm back now. I was in Big Bend and had no service pretty much the whole time, and even then only my cell phone, which I hate using for replying on the forum. I must say, it was a little sad to see that only a couple edits were made in the week that I was away, but it's nothing to worry about. Sometimes people just don't have the time or willpower to work on it, and that's fine. There's no time limit to it, so we can just continue adding to it at whatever pace is comfortable. And if someone wants to have an editing rampage... more power to them! :D

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-7-2014 at 14:50

Quote: Originally posted by Brain&Force  
I've just been having too much fun this month...my birthday and all. I'm so busy with all sorts of other things that I've been neglecting chemistry (it happens when you don't have a lab...)

My birthday was this month, I got pretty distracted too :)

Well I'm back now. I was in Big Bend and had no service pretty much the whole time, and even then only my cell phone, which I hate using for replying on the forum. I must say, it was a little sad to see that only a couple edits were made in the week that I was away, but it's nothing to worry about. Sometimes people just don't have the time or willpower to work on it, and that's fine. There's no time limit to it, so we can just continue adding to it at whatever pace is comfortable. And if someone wants to have an editing rampage... more power to them! :D

So should we have a promotional 'edit Day'?

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 16:31

Ok, I'm planning on doing a lot of editing tonight (stopping only for dinner until I get too tired to work on it anymore) so if anyone else wants to join me on that, you're more than welcome to.

Also, I'd be happy for the site to migrated to the Sciencemadness server whenever it's convenient, because I see no reason for it to stay on WIkia. It would be a lot more customizable and professional looking if it was over here. I know next to nothing about websites though, so I have no idea how that would work.

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-8-2014 at 07:10

Ok, I'm planning on doing a lot of editing tonight (stopping only for dinner until I get too tired to work on it anymore) so if anyone else wants to join me on that, you're more than welcome to.

Also, I'd be happy for the site to migrated to the Sciencemadness server whenever it's convenient, because I see no reason for it to stay on WIkia. It would be a lot more customizable and professional looking if it was over here. I know next to nothing about websites though, so I have no idea how that would work.

Well... I dunno If they'd move it to scimad, but it certainly should be more customizable. It should become the more solid form of data and experiments and procedures that have been synthesized by our community. Like a formal collection of all our work. If putting it on sciencemadness doesn't work, we could put it on my server if you wanted.

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 11-8-2014 at 08:16

Polverone wants us to restrict access to those who are registered, and eventually migrate the wiki to the Sciencemadness servers.
It should work. It would also probably be better to do it sooner rather than later, before it gets much bigger. I don't know how all that works though, whether it's something that could be done automatically, or if we'll have to copy and paste everything over. I guess a new part of the site will have to be made too.

And yes, a formal collection of our work would be great. A lot of times when stuff is in thread format, it's a lot harder to find specific procedures and stuff since they often get long and go off topic and get added to and changed over months or even years. For instance, the preparation of elemental phosphorus thread is simply insane. There's nothing wrong with it, but if you weren't part of the discussion for a long time, it's really hard to get pieces of good information out of it. If we had a wiki page about preparation of elemental phosphorus, it could include the best procedures from the thread in an easy to follow format.

[Edited on 8-11-2014 by zts16]

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 11-8-2014 at 09:01

If Polverone wants to have the wiki on his servers, he needs to install MediaWiki - I think. I have no idea how things are run server-side. That may be an issue for Forum Matters. The source of the pages shouldn't be an issue - just copy and paste.

But if someone would give us some article requests, it would really help us in figuring out what to do. (I'll put it in my sig - U2U me for an article request)

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 11-8-2014 at 09:44

If Polverone wants to have the wiki on his servers, he needs to install MediaWiki - I think. I have no idea how things are run server-side. That may be an issue for Forum Matters. The source of the pages shouldn't be an issue - just copy and paste.

But if someone would give us some article requests, it would really help us in figuring out what to do. (I'll put it in my sig - U2U me for an article request)
Yeah, article requests are a good idea. I think I'll put that in my signature too. Up until now, I've just been making pages for whatever I happen to be doing at the time.
I think we should just wait for Polverone's input about migration, unless you think we should start a thread in Forum Matters about it.

[Edited on 8-11-2014 by zts16]

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 12-8-2014 at 11:17

The wiki has been a lot more active in the past two days. Many thanks to those who have been contributing!
Also, to any of you guys whose account have been compromised, Brain&Force says that in the meantime you can come work on the wiki if you have nothing better to do. :)

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 12-8-2014 at 13:19

Okay, so one thing that I've noticed is that (especially recently) there haven't been many people citing sources. Personally, I don't really care. I do it and try to enforce it because it seems like the right thing to do, and to make it more credible, but if nobody else wants to cite sources and everyone's cool with that, I guess we don't have too. Anyone have any input on this issue?

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 14-8-2014 at 09:27

I would say to put stuff down regardless of citations for now so we can help the wiki grow, but cite whatever you're able to cite, especially if there's a Sciencemadness thread on the subject. (We can tell people to either UTFSE or check the SM wiki.)

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 14-8-2014 at 09:35

I would say to put stuff down regardless of citations for now so we can help the wiki grow, but cite whatever you're able to cite, especially if there's a Sciencemadness thread on the subject.
Okay, but I think in the long run it's easier to cite at the time of the writing. It's especially difficult to cite things for other people, since you don't actually know where the information came from. Basically, if we're going to cite, let's cite as we write. If not, then it can just be assumed that it's "peer reviewed" by other members and therefore fairly accurate, and I'll take down the stuff that says to cite sources.
(We can tell people to either UTFSE or check the SM wiki.)

UTFW!

Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  14

Go To Top