Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: 24/40 x 200mm Leibig on eBay - Unbelievable Deal $10 + Free Shipping
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 17-6-2014 at 03:23
24/40 x 200mm Leibig on eBay - Unbelievable Deal $10 + Free Shipping

Hi everyone,

I was shopping last night and found a 24/40 x 200mm Leibig condenser on eBay for $10 with free shipping from China!

This is cheap enough to almost be disposable... It might be some kind of error, so get them while they're cheap. I bought three.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131156736518?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:I...

[Edited on 17-6-2014 by Praxichys]

Burner
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-6-2014 at 07:06

Good find! That is more than a great deal. Had I not already purchased more than enough USED glassware I would snap up a few of them myself. I do not know how they can sell it so inexpensively.
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 17-6-2014 at 07:24

Wow, if you look at the sellers selection you can get a 24/40 distillation setup with a thermometer adapter and vacuum adapter for $40 not including flasks.

[Edited on 17-6-2014 by gdflp]
gdflp
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 17-6-2014 at 07:53

What are your opinions on the quality of the glass, do you think it will last? If so, I'm thinking about buying this set because I have zero in the way of ground glass currently. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chemistry-Lab-Glassware-Kit-24-40-la...

Burner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-6-2014 at 08:26

Quote: Originally posted by gdflp  
What are your opinions on the quality of the glass, do you think it will last?

That is an impossible question to answer at this point. I have seen some very good lab glass and some very poor lab glass come out of China.

If I needed any glassware I would give it a shot. The fact that the seller boasts about the lack of bubble defects is a BIG plus in my mind since that is the most common flaw in poorly made lab glass.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 17-6-2014 at 08:46

I ordered a disty rig a few days ago.
tracking say it will arrive in about 10 days.
I'll let you know how it turns out.

At those prices it is worth a punt !
Just the clips for the glassware would cost me more than the total cost of the rig.

Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 17-6-2014 at 10:18

I too have seen this vendor and been tempted to make a purchase. I believe I have also seen them on AliExpress--don't quote me on that, though. I am thinking of purchasing one of their Organic Chemistry kits.

Another vendor that has caught my eye is SGV. Can anyone speak to the quality of their glassware?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Advanced-Organic-Chemistry-Lab-G...

[Edited on 17-6-2014 by Loptr]
Praxichys
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-6-2014 at 10:43

Quote: Originally posted by gdflp  
What are your opinions on the quality of the glass, do you think it will last? If so, I'm thinking about buying this set because I have zero in the way of ground glass currently. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chemistry-Lab-Glassware-Kit-24-40-la...

I've had some pretty poor glass from China before. I got a 500mL sep funnel for something like $28 shipped. The taper on the stopper was nonstandard and the grind was so rough that it leaks without grease. The stopcock was glass and was of usable quality although the ground ends were slightly chipped and the retainer ring could probably be better.

But a sep funnel is not a high-performance item and it has performed dutifully for a year now. I think the real complaint many have with Chinese glass is just the internal stress with respect to thermal resistance.

That said, I will continue to buy Chinese glass because I have found that if the glass does not break in the first high-ish temp distillation run (I typically put new glass though an ethylene glycol distillation using cheap undiluted antifreeze. It's cheap, high-boiling to stress the glass, and relatively inert if it gets spilled) than it likely never will.

I have Kimax, LabGlass, LABOY, Ace Glass, and a bunch of generic stuff from China and it all performs about equally... it's just that the Chinese stuff sometimes exhibits infantile failure. However, I could buy more than 10 of the above condensers for the equivalent at Ace Glass.

So, I bought three. If one breaks, I will still be twice as equipped and have two thirds more money than the American equivalent. Besides, if this is your first ground glass, you are going to drop/chip something in the first 10 times you use it. I guarantee it. Best save the expensive stuff for when you have the experience in handling/clamping the often awkward ground-joint setups.

gdflp, Check this out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Organic-chemistry-lab-glassware-kit-...

It is exactly the same thing for $10 cheaper.

DrAldehyde
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 17-6-2014 at 10:56

Quote: Originally posted by Loptr  
I too have seen this vendor and been tempted to make a purchase. I believe I have also seen them on AliExpress--don't quote me on that, though. I am thinking of purchasing one of their Organic Chemistry kits.

Another vendor that has caught my eye is SGV. Can anyone speak to the quality of their glassware?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Advanced-Organic-Chemistry-Lab-G...

[Edited on 17-6-2014 by Loptr]

I bought that very kit from SGV, it was shipped fast, the place had great communication by email, and the price was a bargain. I tend to pickup used glassware when I can, but the cheap price for such a complete kit was too good to pass up. I have not had a chance to use the set. But it came well packaged, complete, and it looks fine. If you have any specific questions about the pieces in that kit, let me know.

[Edited on Jun-17-2014 by DrAldehyde]
gdflp
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 17-6-2014 at 11:20

Quote: Originally posted by Praxichys  

gdflp, Check this out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Organic-chemistry-lab-glassware-kit-...

It is exactly the same thing for $10 cheaper.

Thanks I actually saw that and thought the same thing at first. It's not the same thing though, the cheaper one has 200mm jacket condensers, the more expensive one has 300mm jacket condensers.

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-6-2014 at 12:12

That is truly amazing how cheap this stuff is. My guess is that they are trying to do like many other markets and flood the market with cheap stuff to wipe out the US competitors, and then once there are none left, they can bring the prices back up in due time. They have done that with electronics, fireworks, lithium and rare earth compounds, child's toys, and many other items. But if you want new lab ware, I would buy while the prices are that low, it would be hard to put together a used kit for that little, and when they are paying for shipping as well, this stuff is cheaper than used.

I think that borosilicate glass production ran into environmental issues in the US, as the process for making it had more air pollution than "normal" glass and was thus regulated nearly out of existence, leaving only a few fabricators in the US. It will be interesting to see if they can survive the Chinese glass making industry, but since there are fewer and fewer chemistry jobs in the US, that may not matter much. I would guess that the Chinese are making much of this for their own use, as there have been 10,000's of R & D jobs moved to China in the last few years. And they won't pay Chemglass's prices, I presume, except maybe for one item to copy.
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-6-2014 at 14:58

10 keck clips for $4.50? free shipping? cant walk away from this deal because i ruin at least one every time i distill.distilling arms for 24 bucks and knowing how difficult it was to duplicate this with homemade materials makes it all tempting.
FireLion3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-6-2014 at 15:09

Glassware from China is always excessively low price. Correction, almost everything from China is always excessively low price. This doesn't mean it's bad or good quality, but it is worth checking with the vendor. Most will be able to tell you if the glass is thick walled or not.

This isn't really a "deal", as you would slap that label on prices that are temporary. Feel no rush to jump on this price. As long as China exists with it's lack of minimum required pay, very low cost of living, and lack of worker regulations, then these cheap prices will always exist.

I get almost all of my glassware from China. Make sure the vendor you use is good though and get their assurance that the glass is relatively thick walled.

Believe it or not a large majority of the glassware sold on ebay that is sold by US vendors is actually sourced from China and sold at a price hike, as with many items on Ebay.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 19-6-2014 at 12:28

Wow ! The prices have rocketed since yesterday !

I guess they have a measure of the market now.

Bugger.

Edit: i was thinking of buying the essential oil kit.

[Edited on 19-6-2014 by aga]

Hmm. Guess they also have a list of names and addresses too.

[Edited on 19-6-2014 by aga]

gdflp
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 19-6-2014 at 13:12

Damn, and I was just about to buy one of the Liebigs.:mad: At least the price of the kits hasn't gone up yet, I'm going to buy one ASAP.

[Edited on 19-6-2014 by gdflp]
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-6-2014 at 18:46

Folks.. I can't say this loud enough: Dr Bob has a VERY BIG point here. PC crap ignored China is nobody's friend. Do not trust or underestimate Beijing. I'm guilty of this to a point as well but I can see now that we are hurting ourselves. If only a little given our limited market share.
Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
That is truly amazing how cheap this stuff is. My guess is that they are trying to do like many other markets and flood the market with cheap stuff to wipe out the US competitors, and then once there are none left, they can bring the prices back up in due time. They have done that with electronics, fireworks, lithium and rare earth compounds, child's toys, and many other items. But if you want new lab ware, I would buy while the prices are that low, it would be hard to put together a used kit for that little, and when they are paying for shipping as well, this stuff is cheaper than used.

I think that borosilicate glass production ran into environmental issues in the US, as the process for making it had more air pollution than "normal" glass and was thus regulated nearly out of existence, leaving only a few fabricators in the US. It will be interesting to see if they can survive the Chinese glass making industry, but since there are fewer and fewer chemistry jobs in the US, that may not matter much. I would guess that the Chinese are making much of this for their own use, as there have been 10,000's of R & D jobs moved to China in the last few years. And they won't pay Chemglass's prices, I presume, except maybe for one item to copy.

" the Modern Chemist is inundated with literature"-Unknown
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-6-2014 at 07:16

I only wish it was that easy. I don't think the amateur sales will make a difference. What will kill the US glass business is the lack of any chemistry industry in the US to buy product at all. While some larger companies will still have some work in the US, if the trend continues and most of R & D goes overseas, there will not be enough of a market to keep many US glass and lab supply companies in business.

But if you want cheap glass, buy it now, as in a few years the prices will go up, I have seen that happen in every other industry that the Chinese took over, with only one except, the solar PV cell business, where they built so much capacity that they have flooded the market and driven prices so low that even the Chinese companies are going broke. But eventually even that industry will become reliant on the Chinese and then prices will go up there.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 20-6-2014 at 07:29

@AGA, sciplus.com has a relatively good oil essentials kit, $95 american made isn't too bad. I prefer second-hand stuff that's still mostly clean, b/c I know it's lasted that far :)
It's much cheaper, not that I'm allowed to buy many things anyways...

Praxichys
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-6-2014 at 09:49

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
@AGA, sciplus.com has a relatively good oil essentials kit, $95 american made isn't too bad. I prefer second-hand stuff that's still mostly clean, b/c I know it's lasted that far :)
It's much cheaper, not that I'm allowed to buy many things anyways...

Not to be a naysayer... but how do you know that kit is American made? I get Chinese made Bomex "Chinex" from sciplus all the time. Also, it doesn't come with a thermometer/adapter so it's nonfunctional as-is without another $15 in parts...

Besides, Deschem on eBay has them for $50 including the thermometer.

Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-6-2014 at 23:59

... I don't feel so well after reading that. As a college student this isn't good news at all. Pardon my thread derailing though.
Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
I only wish it was that easy. I don't think the amateur sales will make a difference. What will kill the US glass business is the lack of any chemistry industry in the US to buy product at all. While some larger companies will still have some work in the US, if the trend continues and most of R & D goes overseas, there will not be enough of a market to keep many US glass and lab supply companies in business.

But if you want cheap glass, buy it now, as in a few years the prices will go up, I have seen that happen in every other industry that the Chinese took over, with only one except, the solar PV cell business, where they built so much capacity that they have flooded the market and driven prices so low that even the Chinese companies are going broke. But eventually even that industry will become reliant on the Chinese and then prices will go up there.

" the Modern Chemist is inundated with literature"-Unknown
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 21-6-2014 at 06:42

I found a deal like this a few months ago, two Liebig condensers for $9.99. When I ordered it, they said it was out of stock. I also read that the glass was cheap, had broken easily and was sensitive to heat shock.
I wonder how good the quality of this one is...

[Edited on 21-6-2014 by Zyklon-A]

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 21-6-2014 at 07:07

Fact is that as a society, China out-performs the rest of the world in terms of economic activity.

All the do-gooding has led the rest of the world to a point where Progress is almost prevented by Law: health & safety, equality, taxes, inspections etc etc.

Quite simply, we cannot afford those luxuries anymore, but i suspect that it is already far too late to even hope to catch up.

HgDinis25
Hazard to Others

Mood: Who drank my mercury?

[*] posted on 21-6-2014 at 17:11

I can easily see this developing into a super potency making the US, Russia, and the entire European Union depending on them. If they want they can easily take this into advantage and most likely decide wich countries develop and wich countries do not (by exportation controls of most valuable goods that will start to only come out of China). And it isn't just China. Other eastern asian countries are doing exactly the same.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 22-6-2014 at 08:51

Quote: Originally posted by HgDinis25  
developing into a super potency making the US, Russia, and the entire European Union depending on them

Already there.
Try buying an all-american-made electronic device.
China has more US currency than the US, which is slightly alarming.

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 22-6-2014 at 09:48

It is largely the fault of the US and other countries that are past their industrial hey-day because of all of the outsourcing...

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top