Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A laboratory history of chemical warfare agents a reliable book?
BlackDragon2712
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sleepy

[*] posted on 21-6-2014 at 18:17
A laboratory history of chemical warfare agents a reliable book?

Hey guys I just found this book in the internet and it seriously surprised me on how detailed the procedures in this book were so I began wondering if they were the actual procedures... I tried to find a little bit of information about the author but I barely found anything.

Not like if I am trying to repeat any of the stuff mentioned in the book (since I don't have neither the ability or the equipment to do so) but I was just curious about it.

A Laboratory History of Chemical Warfare Agents by Jared Ledgard I would put a link to the book but I lost the download link.

This guy also wrote another book about the preparation of explosives, Preparatory Manual of Explosives by Jared Ledgard

So what do you people think?
NexusDNA
Hazard to Others

Mood: Liberated from cocoon

[*] posted on 21-6-2014 at 18:41

I've never heard of him, and I wouldn't recommend nerve agents for the amateur, but there's a disclaimer on the second page [here] that states the procedures were taken from public sources and carried out with successful results. There's no reason to think they aren't legit.

It looks like an interesting book for safety measures, useful when you have a bottle leaking cyanogen fumes, or the after-party delusions with phosgene.

PS.: Another member from South America, that's good! :D

Bromine, definitely bromine.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 21-6-2014 at 19:18

Quote: Originally posted by NexusDNA  

PS.: Another member from South America, that's good! :D

"South of Chile…"
…or is he in Antarctica? :o

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 22-6-2014 at 03:33

Quote:

This guy also wrote another book about the preparation of explosives, Preparatory Manual of Explosives by Jared Ledgard

So what do you people think?

No book by Jared Ledgard should be put down lightly ─ but rather should be hurled with the most considerable force against a solid wall or better, into an actively burning fire . . .

Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 22-6-2014 at 05:19

Why would someone write reviews (as I don't believe he did all those preparations himself) about specifically chemical weapons and explosive? I think it is just for earning money because of the sensational value, I wouldn't put to much trust in information from that book, especially when it come to stuff that can kill you (so about anything).
NexusDNA
Hazard to Others

Mood: Liberated from cocoon

[*] posted on 24-6-2014 at 15:22

At least you can reference the bullshit. Always works for me. ;)

Bromine, definitely bromine.
German
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-6-2014 at 14:03

http://lib.freescienceengineering.org/search.php?search_type...
NOV:5
Harmless

Mood: Moodless

[*] posted on 14-10-2014 at 08:26

Quote: Originally posted by German  
http://lib.freescienceengineering.org/search.php?search_type...

Oh hell yeah, that's a valuable link. Thanks!

EDIT:
I mean the website, not that particular author...::o

[Edited on 14-10-2014 by NOV:5]

Remember, Remember...
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 14-10-2014 at 08:47

There's a reason Ledgard appears extensively in "the worst books ever written" thread...

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=4624

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 14-10-2014 at 08:49

Those books are sketchy at best.
I haven't seen the chemical weapons one
But the explosives one has procedures
That don't appear to work or leave
Out important information.
Frankly chemical weapon don't
Belong in an amateur lab.
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 14-10-2014 at 09:18

I took a quick scan of the Ledgard CW book and (as someone who was professionally involved with CW analysis during the 1980s) I can attest that he has no insight into the subject: historical, military, or about the properties of the agents themselves. Most of it is regurgitations by an amateur, presenting misconceptions and uninformed notions as fact, derived from widely available sources. I can see he has not accessed much (any?) of the declassified original literature on the subject.

Regarding the syntheses, I have't studied them (yet), but a fundamental flaw in all of these tomes is that he is taking actual procedures from the literature (at best) then reformulating them as if he is an authority expounding on the subject, without providing the actual reference. So really they are falsified accounts and to the extent he alters the original he may introduce error.

I am sure he has done none of these syntheses. Making these highly toxic substances is a dangerous business and keeping the risk to acceptable levels is very costly.

[Edited on 14-10-2014 by careysub]

Addendum: looking at more of his comments on the agents, it is much worse that I thought at first. He has loads of total excrement, stuff he is scraping uncritically from ancient sensational reportage, rumours, and stuff he just plain makes up.

As I said above "I can see he has not accessed much (any?) of the declassified original literature on the subject." and having reached the references at the end of the book I see I am absolutely correct. Nor has any read any of the actual texts on the subject that are available. His knowledge of CW agents and technology is scraped entirely from the patent literature, so that weird quasi-speculative material found there is treated as authoritative. The material he cobbled together on dissemination techniques is laughable.

Go To Top