Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: eBay seller deschem
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 24-6-2014 at 09:39
eBay seller deschem

My "secret santa" got me a distillation rig from deschem, out of china. Well, I broke the 500ml RBF almost immediately, thinking maybe a "bad pour" of borosilicate. Dunno.

What I do know, is that I contacted them, AND THEY ARE SENDING ME A NEW ONE FREE OF CHARGE.

I just checked the tracking number,and it is indeed on the way!!! Also, the original shipment took LESS than a week to reach the US from China.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 24-6-2014 at 10:23

Could you speak to the quality of the glassware? How well have the fittings been formed to fit together--snug fit?

That is great that they replaced it, but I am just wondering will the replacement be of the same quality?

I am currently in the market for some glassware, and am paying keen attention to these glassware sourcing threads.
Haber
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-6-2014 at 11:54

I own some 24/29 glassware from deschem and I haven't had any problems with quality, the parts fit very tight.

However one can easily see that this is cheap glassware because there are some bubbles and various defects in the glass, especially the condensers have bubbles in the glass.

None of my rbfs have bubbles which is a relief.

For the low cost I'm very satisfied.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 24-6-2014 at 12:08

I'm overall VERY pleased. They even sent TWO thermometers, one mercury, one spirit.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

alexleyenda
Hazard to Others

Mood: Busy studying chemistry at the University

[*] posted on 24-6-2014 at 12:15

Quote: Originally posted by Haber  
I own some 24/29 glassware from deschem and I haven't had any problems with quality, the parts fit very tight.

However one can easily see that this is cheap glassware because there are some bubbles and various defects in the glass, especially the condensers have bubbles in the glass.

None of my rbfs have bubbles which is a relief.

For the low cost I'm very satisfied.

I would say the exact same thing about this seller. I've ordered several times from him now and the glassware was awesome for the price. By the way, I order from its Aliexpress shop, the shop is much more easy to browse and god knows why, the prices are lower there. http://www.aliexpress.com/store/111264

[Edited on 24-6-2014 by alexleyenda]

Help us build the Sciencemadness Wiki! Every question and tips about amateur chemistry two clicks away, wouldn't that be awesome?! sciencemadness.org/smwiki
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 08:37

Got my replacement flask yesterday!!! Completely free of charge from deschem, all the way from China

[Edited on 7-22-2014 by Polverone]

inertia
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-7-2014 at 11:08

Does anyone have any experience pulling vacuum on deschem's glass? I have a couple distillation adapters from deschem (in addition to some rbfs and a few other miscellaneous items) which are equipped with the barbed vacuum adapter necks, but I don't know if I should trust it. Deschem's stuff is so cheap, I'm just worried that the glass isn't capable of handling a vacuum. My lab is pretty well equipped, but I'd rather not have flying shards coming at me.
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 20-7-2014 at 11:11

I don't have any experience personally with deschem, but I would say don't use a vacuum pump. That vacuum will be much stronger than an aspirator, which would probably be fine since they don't pull a very strong vacuum.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 20-7-2014 at 14:18

An aspirator on cold water can easily pull down to a pressure of 50 mmHg or less. A full atmosphere is 760 mmHg. So 50mmHg is [(760-50)/760](100%) = 93% of a full vacuum.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
gdflp
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 23-7-2014 at 10:07

Really? Something must be wrong with my setup then. I have an aspirator connected to a fish pump rated at 128gph, but filtration using an 11cm buchner funnel along with a 500ml vacuum flask took about 12 hours. If I put my finger over the end of the vacuum output hose, I can't feel any vacuum whatsoever.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 23-7-2014 at 10:43

Yes, you have have something really wrong there. I just measured my aspirator at 257 gph. It's giving me a deadheaded vacuum of 26 inches of Hg vacuum or 760-660 = 100mmHg absolute pressure.

aspirator.jpg - 78kB

Edit: I just corrected my flow rate (I slipped a decimal point). So maybe your flowrate is just too low.

[Edited on 23-7-2014 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
gdflp
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 23-7-2014 at 10:59

Hmmm I'm using this aspirator which claims it needs a flow rate of 1.5gpm(which my pump is surpassing) to pull a vacuum of 70mmHg. Maybe I should test my pump to see if it really is pumping water at it's quoted rate.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 23-7-2014 at 11:08

Measure the flow rate during aspirator operation. Use the "mixed cup velocity" method. That's an engineering term for bucket and stopwatch. :D

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 23-7-2014 at 11:11

Personally i think deschem's stuff is pretty good.

Give the vacuum a go - at the prices they charge, it is almost disposable anyway.

My bet would be that it stands the vacuum no problem.

gdflp
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 23-7-2014 at 11:35

Ok just tested it, flow rate of pump without an aspirator is 0.8gpm, with aspirator it is 0.7gpm. Looks like the pump was slightly misadvertised and I need to find a new pump, or get an adapter and hook it up to a sink. Only problem is I don't have a sink in my lab.:(
inertia
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-7-2014 at 13:25

Followup on the vacuum issue:

I gave it a shot with my new vacuum. The pump pulls a very strong vacuum, and much to my surprise, deschem's glass held its own!

I mean, all of it. After my first success with my 1 L rbf, I moved on to my 3 neck, and then to full distillation apparatus, and soon I was building useless glass contraptions just to test their strength. I'm very impressed with the quality of deschem's stuff.

I've heard of deschem glass with bubbles in it, around the neck and such. None of my glass has any of that, and so I'd be a little more careful before pulling vacuum on anything like that.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 30-7-2014 at 13:34

"Tim" from deschem BLEW ME AWAY when he warrantied, post-paid, a 500ml RBF with just an emailed picture as evidence. The Chinese are where "we" (Anglo-US) were 125 years ago as far as being economically "hungry"; seems like they are doing what it takes to get the business. kudos.

inertia
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-7-2014 at 14:43

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  
"Tim" from deschem BLEW ME AWAY when he warrantied, post-paid, a 500ml RBF with just an emailed picture as evidence. The Chinese are where "we" (Anglo-US) were 125 years ago as far as being economically "hungry"; seems like they are doing what it takes to get the business. kudos.

I can vouch for this! My first 1L rbf shattered on first use, and "Tim" shipped another one free with my next deschem order. Pretty crazy. You don't see that in the old US of A.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 30-7-2014 at 14:46

ya USED to. no more.

Manifest
Script Kiddie Asshole

[*] posted on 31-7-2014 at 10:24

I bought the distillation kit too, broke the little adapter off the still head and they sent me a replacement also!
Would recommend.
mrTrifaziux
Harmless

Mood: dehydrating

[*] posted on 19-8-2014 at 13:12

I bought Liebig condenser from them. Works to this day lol.
Also I bought 2 250ml RBF and some adapters from ben0315. Fast shipping, great condition. Sadly deschem doesn't send items to Lithuania anymore.

[Edited on 19-8-2014 by mrTrifaziux]

-Tr-
Templar
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 23-8-2014 at 19:50

Chinese glassware is very good for the price.

Find a reputable ebay seller, and buy off them. You will not be disappointed.

Ground joints arent as smooth as on US made glassware, but you can't complain for that price.

He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 27-8-2014 at 22:21

I just ordered the kit here from interlabglassware: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131156736530?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:I...

it's not Deschem, but the kit is comparable to his: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Chemstry-Glassware-Kit-Laborator...

I had asked if they were the same seller because of inventory similarities, and got this response( I x'd out most my name ):

"Dear xxxxxxxx666,
I am sorry
We not the D SELLER
Our glassware are the really ASTM E438 Standard,
Not the low quality glassware
TKS
Jack"

it will be a little while before I can say one way or the other how this glassware performs. but I think it is nice to note their ebay description clearly says in big red lettering, "All of our glasswares have no any bubble and defect. If you find our glasswares have any bubble or defect,we will give you the refund or replacement. Free shipping"

and the final bonus... I showed how the difference in the 135$ kit and the 145$ kit was a 24/40 1000ml RBF, that normally went for 18$ when not in the set. 10$ payed on 18$ flask for a 44% discount, specifically on pieces in addition to at least the 135$ kit... he agreed, and I used that to logic to snag a few pieces my choice at great prices.
TheChemiKid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-8-2014 at 19:13

I recently bought a dean stark trap, a glass buchner funnel, and a replacement 500mL pressure equalizing addition funnel w/ a teflon stopcock for a good price. Very happy.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 6-9-2014 at 13:14

been following the progress of my glassware on it's way to me... kinda funny, it flew into california @ LA and went into customs. then for some reason it was flown up to Eureka Ca, passing my home and going ~200 mi north of me.

it's quite a drive to Eureka from here, a least 3+ hrs the shortest way... which I found odd, because Sacramento is only 1:15 south of me by highway. I would have thought it would inch its way north to me, not overshoot quite a ways and come back. figured the most logical path was going to go to Sac, then driven up I5. like most my china based purchases have done.

also can't remember ever seeing ANY of my previous purchases going into customs... not really concerned as most the others were small batches of electronic parts or metallic elements on 100g scale. and this is at least a larger sized box with the 135$ O-chem distillation kit + 2 condensers, an extra still head, Claisen adapter and a 500ml 3 neck RB flask.

should arrive just in time to have missed me, heading back for work on the coast :( always next weekend I guess

[Edited on 7-9-2014 by violet sin]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top