Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: aldehydes and Bromine
akcapr
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-6-2014 at 10:24
aldehydes and Bromine

Do aldehydes need to be protected from NBS (i.e Bromine)? Im planning to conduct a benzylic bromination on methyl benzaldehyde. I dont see why it would need to be protected, but Im not sure. I cant seem to find an answer or procedure that would calrify this for me.
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 27-6-2014 at 15:44

The only time aldehydes need to be protected is if they have an alpha hydrogen AND you are using bromine (not NBS).

Your reaction should work fine. You could even use elemental bromine if you wanted.

Edit: The aldehyde will probably be oxidized (see Nicodem's post).

[Edited on 28-6-2014 by Cheddite Cheese]

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
AvBaeyer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-6-2014 at 18:57

Aldehydes such as your substrate can be oxidized to the acyl halide by agents like NBS, NCS, TCCA and the like. I can attest to this from personal experience. See the discussion section on "solid state vs solution reactivity" regarding compound 25U.

By the way, I found this reference on Google within a matter of minutes searching for reaction of aldehydes with N-bromosuccinimide. Additional information can be found in Fieser - Reagents for Organic Synthesis if you put in the time.

AvB

Attachment: Solid state nuclear bromination with N-bromosuccinimide. Part 2..pdf (135kB)
This file has been downloaded 496 times

Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
27-6-2014 at 23:12
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 27-6-2014 at 23:23

Quote: Originally posted by Cheddite Cheese  
The only time aldehydes need to be protected is if they have an alpha hydrogen AND you are using bromine (not NBS).

Your reaction should work fine. You could even use elemental bromine if you wanted.

He is not talking about an electrophilic bromination. Like AvBaeyer said, aldehydes get easily oxidized during radical brominations. This reaction is relatively fast and probably occurs faster than the desired benzylic bromination. The literature about radical halogenation of aldehydes has been partially reviewed in another thread.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!

Go To Top