Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: fulminating gold?
cyanureeves
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-6-2014 at 16:53
fulminating gold?

ok fellas,i dissolved an elgin 14kt rgp ladies watch in aqua regia. i precipitated the gold with metabisulfate and redissolved gold in aqua regia.i added ammonium hydroxide to the gold chloride and precipitated fulminating gold?now i have to drive off the ammonia which i have done but need to rinse.i added water but it seems to turn orange along with the orange precipitate.my question is if the water turns orange then doesnt that mean that some of the gold precipitate is dissolving in the water? i dont want to lose any gold to the water wash and would like to know if water is ok for the washing?btwi am going to add this gold to my plating solution.than you.
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 27-6-2014 at 17:16

http://lem.ch.unito.it/didattica/infochimica/2008_Esplosivi/... (scroll down to the bottom)

You may have made a high explosive, but I don't know much about gold fulminates.

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-6-2014 at 17:38

i think i do have some volatile substance and i will be pissed if it goes up in smoke but for now i have it in water and it appears to be clearing.i was not expecting this much gold from a watch which is gold filled not gold plate.
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-6-2014 at 09:37

according to the article, if you suspect it to be an explosive compound, it loses it's explosive properties upon standing in contact with sulfur.
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-6-2014 at 11:25

well its too late!the whole thing just blew up in my face as i was trying to scrap the gold off the small coffee pot i was drying it in.something flew into my left eye and i dont know what all damage i may have sustained.the explosion was deafening and the shock wave kinda hurt my thigh but i hope my hearing will recover soon.damn it all!i hate explosives and i hardly ever make anything risky like that .i gently tried to scrape a small portion with the end of a s.steal spoon but it all just happened so fast.three times i have done this before without anything going wrong except this time my chemicals are more concentrated.i wish i was wearing my safety glasses and hope i only have dirt in my eye.honestly i never thought i was capable of making explosives and considered it above my know how.i have come a long way with chemicals but i need to now study up on safety.thank you gents.
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 30-6-2014 at 05:04

I am sorry to hear about your accident. I was just thinking about this while gently scraping some silver acetylide from a coffee filter yesterday... except I did it on a wooden surface wearing gloves, goggles, and ear plugs. Nothing happened, but I'm glad to see that I'm not going overboard on my PPE. I hope there is gold dust in your eye and not a shard of glass. If it is bleeding you should get that looked at sooner rather than later.

If you thought it could explode, why didn't you at least wear goggles??

zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 30-6-2014 at 13:05

I don't know much about explosives, but it is something I always consider....The possibility of an explosion.

A good rule of thumb, that I learned from a buddy that only had half-a-thumb.......Never touch a possibly sensitive, explosive material, with anything made of metal. Wax, Softer plastics, wood....These materials tend to not initiate detonation.

Never try to contain such materials, in a strongly resistant, or metallic vessel. Containment, equals bomb.

You are still alive, and hopefully not blind in one eye, or permanently deafened. You are lucky. Some guys that formerly posted here, don't post anymore. Internet service is not available in the afterlife.

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 30-6-2014 at 13:54

See an eye doctor, rather than telling people online about your eye injury!!!

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-6-2014 at 14:06

complacency on the eyeglasses maybe but as for explosives,well i have made silver acetylide and it only blew up when i lit it.the crud in my eye was gold and dirt and it must have kicked in my allergies because my neck swelled up and my face got itchy.my hearing is ok but mostly i could have lost my nuts because i was squatted over the coffee pot looking down into it.this is the last time i make this stuff and thank God i'm not blind and my family was more sad for me than mad.4th of july is coming and i think i'm gonna burn all my chlorate just for safe measure.most of the fun about nitric acid and chlorate,concentrated ammonia etc.. was making the stuff.i thought i was the duke of earl when i made it with a red haired(fumes)girl in a chevrolet.....keeping the faith(Billy Joel)
HgDinis25
Hazard to Others

Mood: Who drank my mercury?

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 03:49

Accidents do happen, that's why we use protective gear, like face masks and leather gloves when handling explosives. You weren't using anything. Consider yourself lucky, you'll get a second chance to work with chemistry and explosives, and you've learned the lesson. Most of the other guys that made that mistake tend to not be able to type in a computer, due to loss of fingers or, more serious, loss of eye sight.

Don't give up on chemistry, you are now more intelligent and have more experience than what you did a few days ago. Think of that accident like something that pushed you up, not down.
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 10:45

now if you would just have filmed it, then you would have a rare video in your hands
not sure if it has ever been filmed actually?

although i must say searching fulminating gold gives alot of results, and knowing its a fulminating compound you should perhaps compare relevant compounds another time to try and figure out what the properties might be..

lets at least hope its not glass

however i dont see the reason to not wrap all the chlorate in a big tube with sugar and perhaps some colourant if you want to get rid of it all anyways --- with a fuse, ofcourse

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html

Go To Top