Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Drying glassware
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 28-6-2014 at 10:32
Drying glassware

Having acquired my very first ground glass RBF's (thank you, Santa) I've figured out toclean them, but drying the insides is a BITCH. I've been shoving in (huge amounts) of paper towels and pulling them out with a hook. Not very efficient :(

Suggestions?

"Tried and true" methods?

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

kavu
Hazard to Others

Mood: To understand is to synthesize

[*] posted on 28-6-2014 at 10:38

Ethanol or acetone rinse after water will help, this is the usual method in most uni labs for all glassware.

[Edited on 28-6-2014 by kavu]
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-6-2014 at 10:39

Distilled water rinse and dry in an oven! Paper towels leave tons of fibers everywhere in them. If you want really clean you can do acetone rinses or methanol... Depends on what you are cleaning and how dry the glass needs to be. This is discussed in detail in some threads but I can't find them at the moment on my phone.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 28-6-2014 at 10:46

Thanx guys!

I found "cleaning" threads. I have been using the absolutely CHEAPEST paper towels. My Uncle Steve does bodywork, and one winter thought I wanted to learn *facepalm*. One gem of knowledge I did take away from that though was that El Cheapo towels leave the least lint.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

alexleyenda
Hazard to Others

Mood: Busy studying chemistry at the University

[*] posted on 28-6-2014 at 13:12

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  
Distilled water rinse and dry in an oven! If you want really clean you can do acetone rinses or methanol...

Yep, that's the way I do it, two rinses in distilled water, when I have a lot of glassware in queue Hop in the oven. be careful with methanol/acetone, the brands in the hardware stores near here are contaminated with a load of unknown dissolved white crap. If you wanna do it this way, distill your acetone/methanol before !

Help us build the Sciencemadness Wiki! Every question and tips about amateur chemistry two clicks away, wouldn't that be awesome?! sciencemadness.org/smwiki
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 28-6-2014 at 19:32

I was considering starting this thread myself the other day. Thank you very much for all of the advice. Not sure why I never thought of using alcohols or acetone to rinse! Normally I've just done a distilled water rinse and then let air dry, now I think I'll use isopropanol, since it's really cheap.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.

Go To Top