Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Glassware "Donations"/ used glassware
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 29-6-2014 at 18:04
Glassware "Donations"/ used glassware

I'm back from my camp :P Anything big go down 'round here?
Anyways, the boy scout camp I went to had a bunch of really nice old glassware donated to them. I may be wrong, but it was either lightly used, or not at all. What kind of places (specifiic) donate their old glassware?
Thanks,
TVC--Nathan

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 29-6-2014 at 18:35

Boy scouts doing chemistry? Didn't know that was a thing.
I don't think that places would donate glassware to individuals, probably only to organizations like boy scouts.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 29-6-2014 at 21:43

what class Scout are ya kid? My gramps was an Eagle, myself never made it past First Class

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-6-2014 at 06:37

I have worked for companies that donated lab supplies to schools and such. Many prefer to only donate to colleges, as high schools trend to have more accidents, and most companies are afraid of liability. But we have donated certain things to high schools. The key is that the schools need to be willing to take what they can get. And few will donate chemicals now due to lots of federal regulations that are a pain in the ...

Some people have been very picky and companies typically want to donate what they have surplus, which may not always match what groups need. I have seen smart teachers just take what was offered and then trade it among other teachers for what they really need. Often the chemistry teachers can take a 500 g bottle of a chemical and split it between several teachers, thus saving a lot of money each, and not having too much.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-6-2014 at 06:48

Thanks, guys.
I'm a life scout (One away from eagle for all you that don't know), but I have a good 3 years to get my eagle rank.
Actually, do you know of any places where used glassware is given or sold?

[Edited on 6-30-2014 by The Volatile Chemist]

zenosx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Awaiting Results....

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 19:09

I am not sure of the exact name or place to contact, but there is a "surplus" supplier at Oak Ridge National Laboratory that sells everything from old glassware to old computers. You might have to do a bit of searching/locating, but if you can hunt down the surplus suppliers there you will for sure get some great deals. About half of my lab came from ORNL, but from an ex-worker, not from the surplus supplier...

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

Albert Einstein
zenosx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Awaiting Results....

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 19:09

I am not sure of the exact name or place to contact, but there is a "surplus" supplier at Oak Ridge National Laboratory that sells everything from old glassware to old computers. You might have to do a bit of searching/locating, but if you can hunt down the surplus suppliers there you will for sure get some great deals. About half of my lab came from ORNL, but from an ex-worker, not from the surplus supplier...

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

Albert Einstein
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-7-2014 at 13:03

Quote: Originally posted by zenosx  

Thank! I'll look into it. Sounds like what I was looking for. The computers interest me too...

Ascaridole
Hazard to Self

Mood: Searching for glass....

[*] posted on 17-7-2014 at 16:41

If you are in need of something and have a well thought out experimental in mind I'm sure someone on the board might be willing to trade or even give it away. I usually recycle my companies glass to the local schools but if there is something badly needed I can search the lab and see if it can be donated. Hehehe the perks of being the owner :D

Ascaridole, the masked bandit of chemistry!

Go To Top