Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: For those curios about cast ETN
Dany
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-8-2014 at 04:01

The concept of melting an explosive and let it cool to achieve high density is simple but not easy to achieve experimentally. Certainly you will get high density if you cast ETN but not necessarily the highest possible density because when you cool ETN (or any other explosive) the cooling process is faster at the edge of the charge than it's center. Because of this temperature gradient the edges will solidifies before the center part and there will be a density gradient in the final charge. Special apparatus are used in the industry to make homogenous cast charge and this by avoiding thermal gradient along the different charge layers. A phenomenon knows as piping is very known for TNT explosive when cooled in an amateur way. When a cylinder of TNT cool with thermal gradient the edge solidifies and shrinks leaving a void in the center of the charge. the final result is a solid cylinder with a hole along the charge (piping).

Dany.
dangerous amateur
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-8-2014 at 05:33

And when I let the stuff cool down very slow?
I could put my caps in a large waterbath with 70°C, and let it cool down over an hour or so.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top