Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Copper Sulfate Acquisition
SirViking
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 06:11
Copper Sulfate Acquisition

I know that Copper Sulfate used to be available at any Home Depot or Lowes as Zep Root Killer, however I have visit at least 6 stores in my area and have yet to be able to find any. Where else, or as what product, could I acquire Copper Sulfate for a simple recrystallization demo?

If you come upon a fork in the road, take it.
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 06:23

Did you look in the plumbing section, as that is where it is normally found. Also, go to www.homedepot.com and type in zep root killer and the store finder will tell you what stores have it in stock and what isle it's in. If you wanted to make it, you could get some sulfuric acid as drain opener or battery acid and either electrolyze it with copper electrodes, or add some copper metal and hydrogen peroxide.
Varmint
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 06:27

You have to know where to look.

I've bought the zep product twice in the last 2 months, most recently 1 week ago. It's not in their big chemical section, it's not in their drain and heavy duty cleaning section, it's in a section off towards the back of the store.

I don't have a good description for the area, as it seemed like they just plopped a few "odd" products in one area.

Same place in two different stores, just oddly located. Also got a 5lb jug of Potassium Permanganate last trip, it's used to clean water purification ("green sand iron trap") filters.

In my stores, it's off the middle aisle, good luck.

DAS
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 07:00

Yeah, for me it was in the plumbing aisle at Lowe's, conveniently right next to the Roebic drain cleaner which is relatively pure sodium hydroxide.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
SirViking
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 07:08

I checked the plumbing section and even had one of the employees check their inventory online at each store that I went to. All of the stores stopped supplying the product. Maybe this is just in Northern California.

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 07:31

Interesting. I guess it must just be a regional thing. I've had a similar problem with not being able to find any sulfur OTC. Even though it's supposedly commonly found in garden centers, there isn't anywhere in my area that sells it. Eventually I just bought some online.

SirViking
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 07:35

I think that is what I will end up doing, I just didn't want to cough up the money for shipping.

I couldn't find any algaecides that contained relatively pure copper sulfate either..

Thank you all for your help!

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 07:41

Yeah, you might be better off that way anyway. You should be able to find some that's more pure than the root killer for a fairly decent price.

Burner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 07:45

If you are going to buy copper sulphate online, but are not too happy with shipping charges, consider some of the Ebay suppliers. They will sell 5lbs of copper sulphate for ~$18, and will ship it free (http://www.ebay.com/itm/5LBS-Copper-Sulfate-99-Pure-Works-gr...).

Hard to beat that price anywhere. :)

[Edited on 8-7-2014 by Burner]

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

- Isaac Asimov
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 10:32

I found a 5 lb tub of copper sulfate at a local "do-it-yourself" pest control store for $15. Not sure what it's supposed to be used for, but I bought it up!
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 12:13

Funny. You can buy permanganate at my home depot... and I live in the US!

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 12:16

What do they sell it as? I've never seen it before. Although of course, they might not have it in Texas since it's a big scary list A thing, or whatever they call it.

hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 13:26

I would imagine you would have to be in a "high iron" water area. Look for something that will regenerate an iron filter.

http://www.watersofteneroutlet.com/potassium-permanganate-fr...
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 13:29

Sulphuric, copper electrodes and a PC power supply works pretty well.

Also means you get to choose your contaminants.

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 10:56

As for potassium Permanganate, Home Depot sells it:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pot-Perm-2-lb-Potassium-Permangan...

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 11:20

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
Yep, not sold at any of the stores around my area unfortunately. There aren't really any iron impurities in the water around my area. The main problem is calcium.

Burner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 15:44

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
Yep, not sold at any of the stores around my area unfortunately. There aren't really any iron impurities in the water around my area. The main problem is calcium.

I do not know if HD still does it, but at one time you could order an item and it would be shipped to your local HD store at no cost.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

- Isaac Asimov
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-7-2014 at 13:09

Quote: Originally posted by Burner  
Quote: Originally posted by zts16  

I do not know if HD still does it, but at one time you could order an item and it would be shipped to your local HD store at no cost.

I think they still do. Their website talks about it, I think.

Artemus Gordon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-7-2014 at 13:29

Quote: Originally posted by SirViking  
I checked the plumbing section and even had one of the employees check their inventory online at each store that I went to. All of the stores stopped supplying the product. Maybe this is just in Northern California.

If by "Northern California" you mean the SF Bay area, then yes, you cannot get CuSO4 root-killer in stores here. I even tried to get Home Depot to special order it for me, but I was refused without explanation.
It turns out that the counties that border the bay passed ordinances limiting how much you can put into the sewer system, because it is bad for the bay ecosystem. It is not illegal to sell copper sulfate, and you can get small amounts of it, usually mixed with some sort of adhesive binder, to use as an anti-fungal treatment for plants, however all the stores in the area agreed to stop selling it as a root-killer. Why they won't tell this to customers makes no sense to me, but there you are.
It is not illegal to buy it here, just don't pour it down your drains. I bought 10 lbs. from an Amazon vendor for less than $30, although the vendor did include a Christian pamphlet in the box. What Jesus has to do with CuSO4, I haven't yet figured out.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 10-7-2014 at 13:37

CuSO4 may well reduce SiN (3 and 4 respectively)

Edit: Funny how a random Quip can lead places.
Silicon Nitride is amazing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_nitride

[Edited on 10-7-2014 by aga]

SirViking
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-7-2014 at 14:17

Quote: Originally posted by Artemus Gordon  
Quote: Originally posted by SirViking  

If by "Northern California" you mean the SF Bay area, then yes, you cannot get CuSO4 root-killer in stores here. I even tried to get Home Depot to special order it for me, but I was refused without explanation.
It turns out that the counties that border the bay passed ordinances limiting how much you can put into the sewer system, because it is bad for the bay ecosystem. It is not illegal to sell copper sulfate, and you can get small amounts of it, usually mixed with some sort of adhesive binder, to use as an anti-fungal treatment for plants, however all the stores in the area agreed to stop selling it as a root-killer. Why they won't tell this to customers makes no sense to me, but there you are.
It is not illegal to buy it here, just don't pour it down your drains. I bought 10 lbs. from an Amazon vendor for less than $30, although the vendor did include a Christian pamphlet in the box. What Jesus has to do with CuSO4, I haven't yet figured out.

That would explain it, thankfully I am just living up here until the end of July for my internship then I head back to school. I'll just wait until then to acquire some. Or if I get impatient, I'll just order it online.

ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 10-7-2014 at 18:45

To me, it's location, location, location... Here are a couple tips to find what you need.

a) Think outside the box- Don't expect to find the chemicals you want at ANY BIG BOX home improvement store... just in my experience. Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, etc. will be less likely to carry what you need than the local Do-It Center, True-Value, or the mom and pops hardware store that no one ever visits anymore. Plus, wouldn't you rather have the satisfaction of supporting a local business than a huge retailer?

b) Think outside the city- Living in Detroit, it is very difficult to find chemicals in hardware stores than in the country. There are a couple possible reasons for this that I can think of... People in the city are less DIY, more likely to call a professional than to go to the store and look for something they don't know will work. People in the city may also not know how to use these. City folk also don't have as many problems- I have never poured any chemical other than Drano down the drain for any type of maintenance, and my pipes are perfect. I am sure the same goes for my neighbors. In the country, they have septic systems, pumps, water softeners, etc, all that need maintenance. Now, when I go to the cottage only 3 hours north, I can walk into any store and get KNO3 stump remover, sulfuric acid, DMSO, copper sulfate, heck I can even get a gallon of Toluene!

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

Go To Top