Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Anyone with a Mac OS X machine willing to give remote access?
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

smile.gif posted on 10-7-2014 at 18:45
Anyone with a Mac OS X machine willing to give remote access?

I am hoping to get remote access to a Mac OS X machine with development tools installed in order to compile some open source chemistry software. I am a regular user of the quantum chemistry programs NWChem and Psi4. I have a lot of experience compiling them under Linux, but I would like to build versions for OS X users. Building them is non-trivial and unfortunately nobody is currently offering pre-built binaries for OS X.

I have tried without success to talk some OS X users through compiling NWChem on a Mac. I don't know if the build system is broken on OS X or if the chemists trying to use the program just aren't experienced enough with compiling software from source code.

I don't need to be able to install software systemwide, but I would need the system owner to be willing to install Xcode tools and possibly other software dependencies. I could work with remote desktop access or shell access through SSH. All I can offer in return is crediting you for your contribution (if you wish) on the download page I would set up after building the software. Finally, if I find someone willing to work with me on this, I would also need beta testers willing to try my software builds on their Macs.

Please post in the thread if you have questions/comments, or send me a U2U if you're ready to collaborate. Thanks!

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
Gearhead_Shem_Tov
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-7-2014 at 21:45

I'd be willing to host your development, as long as we can work out a schedule for when you need me near my machine. I'm in Adelaide, South Australia, and if you're in the Pacific NW, that puts me 16.5 hours ahead of you (or 7.5 hours behind, but the next day).

What version of xcode would you need? I'm running Mavericks on a newish iMac (late 2012). I don't do heaps of command line stuff, but I am familiar with bash and X.

-Bobby
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 10-7-2014 at 21:54

I only have Windows machines, so I'm curious, are there binaries for Windows as well?

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
Texium
Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 11-7-2014 at 06:43

I'm a lot closer as far as time zones go, but my computer would probably not be preferable, as it's an early 2009 model and running Lion. (Mavericks seems prone to screwing up older machines like mine)

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 11-7-2014 at 07:28

Well. This is turning into an interesting project; always wondered about "hackintoshing" and as I just put a 1tb drive in my laptop, soon as I get OSX d/l'ed and my USB drive HFS+ formatted we'll see what happens ;)

EDIT--going to put OSX on my OLD HDD and just swap it out (two screws and 15 seconds)

[Edited on 7-11-2014 by arkoma]

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Polverone

[*] posted on 11-7-2014 at 11:15

Wow, I'm getting more responses than I expected! So I'm going to post some general questions/information here in the thread:

Questions:

How compatible are the different OS X releases? If I build a command line application on Mavericks, will it run on older OS X releases? If nobody knows from prior experience I'll have to do some Googling or perhaps invite volunteers with older OS X installs to do some testing.

Which version of Python does Mavericks come with by default? Same question applies for older OS releases. Psi4 is crucially built on Python, and NWChem has optional but highly desirable scripting capabilities when you build it with Python support. We'll need to install development headers for Python on the development machines if they aren't installed by default.

Information:

NWChem is my first target, because although it is officially supported on OS X I don't think any of the core developers are regularly using it, so it is more likely to need special attention to get it built.

Here are the official instructions for building NWChem on OS X:

http://www.nwchem-sw.org/index.php/Compiling_NWChem#Compilat...

You'll see that they are out of date. We want basically the same tools installed, though newer, to set up the development machine.

Here's an account of someone who managed to build a mostly-successful newer NWChem binary on OS X last year:
http://www.nwchem-sw.org/index.php/Special:AWCforum/st/id868...

Here's someone who was really struggling to build NWChem on OS X this year:
http://www.nwchem-sw.org/index.php/Special:AWCforum/st/id132...

I ultimately didn't have enough information to solve this person's problem. That's what made me want access to a Mac and made me want to produce binaries for people who don't want to fool around with Makefiles.

Polverone

[*] posted on 11-7-2014 at 11:21

Quote: Originally posted by Brain&Force  
I only have Windows machines, so I'm curious, are there binaries for Windows as well?

No, sadly Windows is less well supported for quantum chemistry programs than Unix-like platforms. I am currently uploading a Linux virtual machine that contains optimized, installed, ready-to-run chemistry and chemoinformatics software: Cinfony and all its optional components, the latest NWChem and ECCE, and the latest Psi4. I wasn't planning on writing anything about it publicly until I finished the next stage, which is adding a higher level interface to guide calculations, but if you're adventurous you will be able to start using the software in unvarnished expert mode today. I'll update this post when the upload is finished.

EDIT: Here's the virtual machine:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/cc/vchem-wheezy.ova

It was created in VirtualBox. It may be possible to import in VMWare also.

It is a 64 bit Debian Wheezy system with current, optimized versions of NWChem, Psi4, ECCE, and Cinfony installed. There is one user account, Niels Bohr, and the account password is science. If you start ECCE the initial login password is also science.

Here is a tutorial on using NWChem with ECCE:
http://verahill.blogspot.com/2012/03/using-ecce-to-run-nwche...

Videos illustrating recently added ECCE features:
http://ecce.emsl.pnl.gov/support/movie_index.shtml

NWChem documentation:
http://www.nwchem-sw.org/index.php/Release64:NWChem_Document...

Cinfony home page:
http://code.google.com/p/cinfony/

This VM comes with all of the Cinfony supported toolkits except for the commercial JChem.

Psi4 tutorial, manual, and github:
http://sirius.chem.vt.edu/psi4manual/latest/tutorial.html
http://sirius.chem.vt.edu/psi4manual/latest/index.html
https://github.com/psi4/psi4public

Note that the command to run Psi4 on this virtual machine is 'psi', not 'psi4'. The psi command performs some necessary library setup operations before invoking psi4.

All of this is probably quite useless unless you have some prior exposure to computational chemistry! This virtual machine is presently useful only to experienced or adventurous users of computational chemistry.

[Edited on 7-12-2014 by Polverone]

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 11-7-2014 at 11:24

Polverone, have my Mountain Lion (atkios ml2) image and added HFS+ capability to gparted--waiting on my brother-in-law get home as he has an 8 gig USB stick

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 11-7-2014 at 13:18

Mavericks 10.9.3 has python 2.7.5
Leopard 10.5.8 has python 2.5.1
Snow Leopard 10.6.8 has python 2.6.1

[Edited on 11-7-2014 by phlogiston]

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
Polverone

[*] posted on 11-7-2014 at 17:10

Thanks, phlogiston. I guess that means that binaries I create on Mavericks won't work on earlier OS releases if I link in Python. I might be able to do one with-Python build and one without-Python to enable earlier OS users to still access most of the NWChem functionality.

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 16-7-2014 at 17:06

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  
Polverone, have my Mountain Lion (atkios ml2) image and added HFS+ capability to gparted--waiting on my brother-in-law get home as he has an 8 gig USB stick

Stupid penguins...............They are really difficult to 'chicken-wing' and subdue at times because of their short wings!! *sigh*.

This OSX hackintosh thing is starting to get personal LOL--you'll have a full operating release of NWChem for OSX up b4 these birds mind me, methinks

Go To Top