Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7
Author: Subject: Mystery Glassware Identification Thread
j_sum1
International Hazard

Mood: inert even with vigorous stirring.

[*] posted on 5-3-2017 at 18:59

I don't understand how this works. Is it some kind of cold finger in a gas stream?
Deathunter88
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-3-2017 at 22:43

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
I don't understand how this works. Is it some kind of cold finger in a gas stream?

The idea is you put your compound that you want to dry in the inner class chamber. Then you hook a round bottom flask and a condenser onto the outer chamber. After that you can connect a drying tube or something to the third joint leading into the middle chamber where you placed your compound. After that is all done, you choose a solvent that has a boiling point at the temperature you want to dry at. Say you have a heat sensitive compound that decomposes above 60 degrees. Then a solvent you could use would be acetone, since it has a boiling point of 56 degrees. Since the tube with your chemical is immersed in the vapor stream, it will be kept at a constant temperature (the BP of the solvent you use). Quite ingenious actually.
j_sum1
International Hazard

Mood: inert even with vigorous stirring.

[*] posted on 5-3-2017 at 22:50

Quote: Originally posted by Deathunter88  
Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  

The idea is you put your compound that you want to dry in the inner class chamber. Then you hook a round bottom flask and a condenser onto the outer chamber. After that you can connect a drying tube or something to the third joint leading into the middle chamber where you placed your compound. After that is all done, you choose a solvent that has a boiling point at the temperature you want to dry at. Say you have a heat sensitive compound that decomposes above 60 degrees. Then a solvent you could use would be acetone, since it has a boiling point of 56 degrees. Since the tube with your chemical is immersed in the vapor stream, it will be kept at a constant temperature (the BP of the solvent you use). Quite ingenious actually.

So you need a drying tube with a female joint to make it function properly.
Or you could use a two neck flask, condenser and a thermometer well with a glass wool plug pushed half way down and some CaCl2 on top. :D

i love these ingenious ideas people have come up with and thinking how I could achieve the same or similar result.
Brom
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 10:55

I found this in a small box labeled special cell B. Any ideas what it is designed for?

20170309_124000.jpg - 2.2MB
diggafromdover
Hazard to Self

Mood: Inconherent

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 11:03

If the wire is resistance wire, then the cell could be used in a device like a ketene generator.

Enjoying second childhood with REAL chemistry set.
Brom
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-3-2017 at 15:09

Now that i think of it, i found some leads in the same drawer that i found the item in. Ill get them next time i go by and maybe it will help to figure out what it is for sure.
A Halogenated Substance
Hazard to Self

Mood: Oxidizing due to extended exposure to oxygen

[*] posted on 24-3-2017 at 10:14

I bought a piece of glassware from an antique shop that I found interesting today. I originally had thoughts of using it in part as a drying tube or some kind distillation setup piece.

The owner said that to him, it looked like a piece of equipment used to brew moonshine (though I have no such interests).

Anyone know exactly what this is and perhaps some good lab applications for it?

image.jpg - 1.7MB
byko3y
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-3-2017 at 10:34

Looks like a burette blank to me.
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7

Go To Top