Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: thf oxidation
ergoamide
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-12-2009 at 03:57

That's a bit of a general statement. Sure some are just cooks but some do have a real interest in chemistry. Besides most of them will already know the method you've mentioned. It's not like it hard to find a google search will get it for you.
Muzz1969
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-12-2014 at 04:47

Quote: Originally posted by Nicodem  
Recovered as what? You can not recover it as KBrO3 because it gets used during the reaction.
Recovering it as KBr would be a bit too much work for such a cheap chemical. Similarly oxidizing the left over solid from the distillation would give Br2 which is a bit too hazardous to isolate for being worth the effort. In any case, if you would want to recycle it to KBrO3, then it would be a bit stupid to use KBrO3 for the oxidation in the first place, since you would need electrolysis for the reoxidation of KBr. Therefore it would be much simpler and cleaner to form gamma-butyrolactone from tetrahydrofuran/H2O in the presence of a small amount of Br2 or HBr by electrolysis instead.

Hi Nicodem,
I am really interested in your electrolysis comment and was wondering can you explain the reaction mechanism , I'm just starting to learn about electrolysis reaction and I understand basic reactions but getting into organic reactions are a little above my head. Not interested in actually trying it just understanding how it works better.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top