shocked.gif posted on 20-2-2004 at 23:37
A conversation swim(really) had with his schizophrenic self

€ How to make DNP:

€ 50g Benzene
€ 5gm mercuric nitrate
€ 300g nitric acid (50%)
€ Stir, heat to 50C for 5 hr.
€ 500ml cold water, chill
€ filter DNP out, wash with water and dry.

€ Now:
€ add:
€ 500ml water
€ 20gm lye
€ filtrate
€ HCl until acidic
€ Chill, filter, water wash & dried.

€ PS: Most of you will blow yourselves up doing this.

I don't know the mechanism but there is a reaction called oxynitration where an aromatic
compound reacts with mercuric nitrate and concentrated nitric acid and the product
contains both hydroxy and nitro groups. In the case of benzene the products are 2,4 DNP or
2,4,6-TNP (picric acid, KABOOM!!)depending on the reaction conditions.

Right, but how are you going to control which position the nitro goes onto? ortho-para, or all. OH is one of the highest activating groups you can put on
a benzene and no matter what you are going to get some TNP. I wouldn't even try this one!

The oxynitration
reaction will always give you a mixture of di and tri nitrated phenols. However there is a wide enough difference
in solubility in water between the di and tri that the di can probably be pretty selectively crystallized out
in water. Even if there is a few percent of tri (picric acid) nitrated impurity left I don't think it
will be a terribly dangerous thing (compared to taking DNP itself) anyway.

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win: you\'re still retarded.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 26-5-2004 at 21:56
aspirin, a fat burner?

From the 9th edition of The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics:

Quote:
Salicylates stimulate respiration directly and indirectly. Full therapeutic doses of salicylates increase oxygen consumption and CO2 production (especially in skeletal muscle); these effects are a result of salicylate-induced uncoupling of oxidative phosphorylation. The increased production of CO2 stimulates respiration. The increased alveolar ventilation balances the increased CO2 production, and thus plasma CO2 tension does not change.

[....]

The uncoupling of oxidative phosphorylation by salicylate is similar to that induced by 2,4 dinitrophenol. The effect may occur with doses of salicylate used in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and can result in the inhibition of a number of ATP-dependent reactions. Other consequences include the salicylate-induced increase in oxygen uptake and carbon dioxide production described above, the depletion of hepatic glycogen, and the pyretic effect of toxic doses of salicylate.

So, aspirin may stimulate metabolism in a manner similar to 2,4 DNP, and do so at doses still in the "therapeutic" range? How interesting.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 27-5-2004 at 20:46

Well it looks like aspirin is the magic drug!

1. It lessens pain by inhibiting prostaglandine synthesis, and thus reduces inflammation/swelling
2. It lessens formation of plaques in blood vessels, thus lessening arterial/cardiovascular disease (anti-coagulant)
3. It acts as an anti-cancer agent by partly preventing tumorigenesis
4. It enhances the metabolism by permeabilising the mitochondrial membrane, thus leading to greater energy consumption --> less fat ---> less cardiovascular/blood pressure problems
5. It is the greatest cure known to date against hangovers
6. Plus, some studies show that it prolongs life (probably because of the effects pointed out above)

Some time back I decided to take 300 mg aspirin every day. Lets see what effect it has 50 years in the future ... if this forum still exists then :D

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
fvcked
Harmless

Mood: Groggy

[*] posted on 28-5-2004 at 01:31

That would explain me losing a few pounds during the past couple days. My diet and excersise have stayed the same but I have had a back pain so Ive been taking an aspirin a day. Lost something near 10 pounds... :D
froot
Hazard to Others

Mood: refluxed

[*] posted on 8-6-2004 at 07:53

Thanks to you guys my girlfriend and her family are now popping an aspirin every morning! :D
I'll keep you updated. :cool:

We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 8-6-2004 at 10:54

Keep in mind, the doses used to treat arthritis are high compared to those normally used for relief of temporary pain. It is at these higher doses that my references mention metabolism-boosting effects. Aspirin can thin the blood, and its half-life can increase at high doses, so be aware of the risks.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-6-2004 at 14:30

I'm sure I saw an article saying that aspirin was the latest addition to the "gender bending" chemicals.
Hardly suprising given that it blocks prostaglandin synthesis (where did prostaglandin get its name?).
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 8-6-2004 at 15:19

Hmm, that would be surprising. Reference?

Anyway, prostaglandins arent specifically produced in the prostate gland, much rather, in virtually every cell of the body. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostaglandin .

As to its 'gender-bending' property - I doubt this would occur at ordinary concentrations/exposure times, else the media would be screaming all hell lose by now!

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-6-2004 at 10:51

Sorry for the delay, it took me a while to find this
http://www.nature.com/nsu/040517/040517-14.html
I'm suprised the media are not baying for blood, I guess they are just getting bored of this sort of thing.
By the way, tomatos have rather high salicylate levels.
nitroboy
Harmless

Mood: Feeling Strange

[*] posted on 14-1-2005 at 02:42

Would nitration of sulphonated acetasallacyllic acid tp produce trinitrophenol be useful for the weightloss, or does it have to be the DInitrophenol ?
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 16-1-2005 at 05:07

Methinks not. What exactly do you mean by your "sulphonated acetasallacyllic acid ", heating oleum with aspirin?

In any case, that *PRODUCT* won't let itself be nitrated that easy, having two (three?) groups preventing that from happening.

Going from 2,4 dinitrophenol to picric acid is s*%##y, but doable.

Just my two cents worth. (^_^)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top