Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Color changing iron oxide
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 12-1-2005 at 05:06
Color changing iron oxide

Does anyone know why iron oxide turns black when heated but turns back to red when it cools down?

This also happens to brown iron oxide.

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
mick
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-1-2005 at 12:38

If you are doing it on a small scale you might be going from Fe(II) to Fe(III) to Fe3O4 and back again. On a larger scale, if you quench the iron covered in Fe(II)O, after heating, when it turns black, in oil then it might stay black. The oil keeps the O2 out and a bit of carbon from the oil seems to stabilise the oxide layer.
mick
cyclonite4
Hazard to Others

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 12-1-2005 at 17:11

Does the color darken in proportion to the heat applied? If so it would be kind of a innacurate temperature indicator. :P

\"It is dangerous to be right, when your government is wrong.\" - Voltaire
Mephisto
Chemicus Diabolicus

Mood: swinging

[*] posted on 12-1-2005 at 17:47

Because there are countless non-stoichiometric variations of iron oxides + oxid-hydroxids, oxid-hydrates, oxid-hydroxid-hydrates,... it's not possible to answer this question decently. At least in an ideal case, red-brown Fe2O3 with a mass-proportion of ≈28% Fe will turn into black Fe3O4 above 1100 °C and become again red-brown under this temperature.

Such a change between two modifications would be described by a diagram of state with a changing point and no real continuously colour-changing in proportion of the heat applied.

Visit the German synthesis collection LambdaSyn and our new LambdaForum!
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 19-1-2005 at 05:53

Not really about rust changing colors, but still about rust (I didnt want to start a new topic for 1 question).

People always say that bleach and vinegar (used to make rust from steel wool) makes Cl2, but I cant think of an equation nor find one that supports that.

I thought:

NaClO + HAc --> NaAc + HClO
2HClO --> 2HCl + O2

Is this correct? And if so, are "regular" people just confusing the HCl with Cl2?

[edit]: But once, when I added vinegar to bleach, the whole solution turned light green :o I've tried many times again, using the same bottles of bleach and vinegar, but nothing happened. How do we explain that? :o

[Edited on 21-1-2005 by Saerynide]

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
frogfot
Hazard to Others

Mood: happy

[*] posted on 19-1-2005 at 08:24

From the red-ox reactions table I found thisone:

HClO + H+ + 2e- --> Cl- + H2O

electrons being form the iron.

Could the color change on heating be because of change in crystal shape? IIRC there are like several modifications of Fe2O3 (alfa through gamma-Fe2O3), or maby that's totally different thing..
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-1-2005 at 12:16

Hematite, in its pure powdered form, pure Fe2O3, is bright red in color.

There are also hydrous oxides, particularly the mineral limonite, FeO(OH), which is yellow-orange, and the main constituent of the "ironstone pan" in leached acid soils containing iron.

Iron oxides containing Fe(II), viz. FeO and Fe3O4, having more unutilized 3d electrons, are electrically conducting, and so strongly opaque and reflective like a metal, and also ferromagnetic, due to some of these unutilized electrons lying in the conduction band.
mick
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-1-2005 at 12:57

People always say that bleach and vinegar makes Cl2, but I cant think of an equation nor find one that supports that.

Don't know what it has to do with rusting
but here is my bit

The bleach (I think I did this with bleaching powder which is calcium hypochlorite not sodium) should be dry otherwise there is no bleach there, it would have hydrolysed slowly. Vinegar has got water in it (I used pickling grade vinegar). The reaction seems to work because the product of the reaction is anhydrous calcium acetate which is hydrosopic so it takes the water out and the heat kicks out the chlorine as a gas.
mick

You drip the vinegar onto the bleaching powder.
mick

[Edited on 19-1-2005 by mick]
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 19-1-2005 at 16:09

Iron oxide with plenty of water in it is yellow.

The vinegar + bleach reaction does work, my nose can confirm that.

HAc + NaCl (byproduct of bleach production and decomposition) -> NaAc + HCl
HAc + NaOCl -> HOCl + NaAc
HCl + HOCl -> Cl<sub>2</sub> + H<sub>2</sub>O

This reaction proceeds slowly because acetic acid is a weak acid. Mixing vinegar and household bleach will give you detectable chlorine gas, but it will not bubble out of solution like the reaction with sodium bisulfate will.

Go To Top