Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Dont leave graphene in the sunlight...
morganism
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 15:12
Dont leave graphene in the sunlight...

http://cen.acs.org/articles/92/i31/Graphene-Surprises-Decomp...

Interesting also is the decomposition components.
These are found in interstellar gasses, on interplanetary dust particles, asteroids and comets.

and another paper just out showing that a PH change can cause graphene to dissassociate into lipid structure like balls with exposure to a magnetic field.
Gonna be pretty easy way to encapsulate drugs.
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 5-8-2014 at 05:54

This post might be interesting to you. Of course, I meant "UVA" where I said "UVB".

I've also noticed that graphene oxide solutions become darker over time, when exposed to diffuse sunlight. It also becomes less dispersable, and precipitates form.

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=27...
morganism
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 16:11

thanks, that is interesting.

Have you tried putting the solution in the sunlight to see if it boils as the gold nanoparticles do?

If i need to make graphene I am planning on just using this technique - dump in peroxide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irg3kbnTN4o
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 20:22

No, I haven't tried what you said, but I'm not sure why it would boil.

If you are inclined to make your own graphene oxide, this is a room-temperature reaction that I like to use:

Attachment: Huang-2011-Simple room-temperat.pdf (1.5MB)
This file has been downloaded 601 times

I use the proportions referred to on page 3445. On 3444 I think there is a typo somewhere.

An adaptation of this was used by Murray in one of his videos, I think. It's pretty straightforward, but the purification and exfoliation steps are harder than the article suggests. Simply stirring the solution does not give very efficient exfoliation for single layer graphene oxide. You really need an ultrasonic tank for this, and it may take a couple of hours to completely exfoliate the product. After rinsing the product with HCl, you can't go directly to a water rinse. The product will disperse into the water to an extent that you won't be able to separate it back out again without a very powerful centrifuge. Organic solvent rinses are needed instead, after the HCl rinses, to remove residual acids. After drying, then dispersal into water, and then ultrasonic exfoliation.
morganism
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-9-2014 at 15:07

Nano particles tend to boil, because they absorb the sunlight and heat faster than they can release the heat thru conduction to the surrounding bath.

micro steam explosions i am told....
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
21-11-2023 at 14:09

Go To Top