Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hydrochloric Acid reactor by reacting the elements
Manifest
Script Kiddie Asshole

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-8-2014 at 14:34
Hydrochloric Acid reactor by reacting the elements

Has anyone ever attempted this?
Plante1999 has done experimentation on an Ostwald reactor making Nitric Acid and axehandle successfully replicated the lead chamber process to make Sulfuric Acid.

What about making Hydrochloric Acid?
A problem I can see is that it is dangerously explosive when you combine these together and add UV light they react, something to do with free radicals(can someone explain further?)
There is a video here of the reaction being initiated by a Ultraviolet light keychain.
<iframe sandbox width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NN82GoBG98s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[Edited on 6-8-2014 by Manifest]
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 5-8-2014 at 17:57

The industrial production of hydrochloric acid may be by "Hydrogen burner", but is more likely a byproduct of other industrial processes.

http://www.reagentchemical.com/production-methods.html

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 6-8-2014 at 10:03

I wanted to do it for a while, eventually I gave up the idea as it's rather dangerous and HCl (aq) is quite cheap for me.
If you had a way to keep the gasses flowing at a slow and steady rate, and are able to construct at apparatus suitable to contain the very corrosive gasses, at high temperatures - you might be able to do it.
I don't think it will be worth you're while, but you can give it a try if you want.
Don't skimp on safety equipment, especially wear a gas mask.

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 7-8-2014 at 09:34

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Crap, the method of thinking of to make HCl is dangerously explosive.</p>&mdash; NurdRage (@NurdRage) <a href="https://twitter.com/NurdRage/statuses/496351168381980673">August 4, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yup, NurdRage tweeted about this.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Love the irony though. When i was a young chemist i tried to blow stuff up, Now that i&#39;m a pro chemist i try to NOT blow stuff up.</p>&mdash; NurdRage (@NurdRage) <a href="https://twitter.com/NurdRage/statuses/496351459210838016">August 4, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...

Go To Top