Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: error in translation of J. Prakt. Chemie (1930) electrochemical reduction of 3,4,5-trimethoxy-betanitrostyrene
zephler1
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-8-2014 at 04:49
error in translation of J. Prakt. Chemie (1930) electrochemical reduction of 3,4,5-trimethoxy-betanitrostyrene

odd that no one has mentioned this - perhaps my calculations are wrong, but the cathode is described as having the following dimensions:

200mm x 90mm x 2mm, which is 180 cm^2

Now here is the error:

""Now a current of 5 to 6 amps was passed through the equipment for 12 hours, so that the current density was about 3 amps.""

A current density of 3 amps per what? I've seen some translations as per square centimeter - but that is crazy, as it would translate to 30k amps/ square meter - no way.

Is it 3 amps per square meter? No, that is wrong too - if we use the 6 amps to cathode value, that would give:

6 x (1/(0.2 x 0.09) = 333 amps/m^2

Similarly with the 5 amps setting

5 x (1/(0.2 x 0.09) = 278 amps/m^2

Are my calculations in error?
pepsimax
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 00:43

Wouldn't it be 3 amps per dm2? So your 180cm2 electrode is 1.8dm2.

He passed 5-6 amps through which would give a current density of 2.77-3.33A/dm2

Platers commonly use the square decimeter, si units became standard quite a few years after this was published. But yeah your calculations look right, just strange with a different unit. Answer is the same when you convert it though obviously!

Sorry just realised this is ancient but did you ever try his procedure? The substrate looks like it'd be reduced to something illegal but interesting all the sane. I don't hear much about successful home electro reductions

[Edited on 6-2-2015 by pepsimax]

[Edited on 6-2-2015 by pepsimax]
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 06:58

Can you provide at least a hyper-link to the article? I'm a little lazy to go looking for it.

The information you're looking for is probably in there somewhere. I am highly doubting they are using square meters unless their electrodes are the size of dump trucks.

Edit - ah shoot, turns out this is one of those illicit compounds. Well, I'd still be interested in reading the paper because I do like reading about organic electrochem.

[Edited on 7-2-2015 by smaerd]

Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-2-2015 at 00:48

Yeah, the target compound for the original post is mescaline, which is illegal in most places with no recognized medical use. I had a small role in assisting synthesis and testing an analog for legitimate research involving serotonin receptors forever ago, but no electrochemistry was involved.

There's a similar article text rip on the typical illicitly oriented forums:
https://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/electromesc...
http://chemistry.mdma.ch/hiveboard/novel/000108465.html

Should give an idea what the original poster was attempting.

Go To Top