Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: possibility for THC extraction
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 15-9-2016 at 14:24

Well, I'm a Diet Coke man myself. But, for those that enjoy, and have questions about the Wacky Tabacky. Locally, the stuff is 100% legal, and information abounds. Albeit, that information is provided in the form of advertising; so caveat emptor.

In fact, were I so inclined, I could probably get a job instantly with one of the local manufacturers. Any competent chemist has become a one eyed man, in a kingdom of the blind.

For the sake of those world-wide, who felt trepidation about the legalization of pot......It arrived a lot like the millennium. Basically, silence.
Nothing changed.

[Edited on 15-9-2016 by zed]
Thump
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-1-2017 at 17:18

Hello everyone thc extraction is quit easy depending on the material a desirable blond color translucent is desired depending one the materialthe older the browner if pesticides are sprayed tord the end of the flowering cycle of the plants life will change the color. Unfortunately we dont know as the flower or trim is passed down, ok mystery oil cans. Are processed the metal is coated in oil sobit doesntdo rust in processing the oil stays within the can. Easy fix in a clossed loop stainless steel system all n tane or butain is dirty. Running it dry threw your extraction system without plant material heat the steal vessel so you can evaporate the butain out of the vessel into another using hot and cold the butain will follow the cold evaporating and leaving behind mystery oil bytonight the way all butain is dirty dont care what the lable seas! Try it i have tried them all.. the next step is short path fractional distillation thats why im hear but i am out of my league.. Thats y im hear!
Chemetix
Hazard to Others

Mood: Wavering between lucidity and madness

[*] posted on 2-1-2017 at 04:33

Once upon a time in a land far away...sorry to start like this, but I live a country of thou shalt not; somebody think of the children. Someone once ran an IPA extract of kiff down a calcined alumina column using long wavelength UV to guide them as to when they should split the fractions. They then blended the fractions based on the ratio of CBD to THC they wanted, to produce the desired artisanal blend for the most aesthetic purposes.

God I hate talking like this....

[Edited on 2-1-2017 by Chemetix]
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 2-1-2017 at 07:12

I like it Chemetix, at least I can follow it.
psychοtic
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-1-2017 at 03:28

Interesting this thread popping up seeing as I was just thinking on the matter myself, particularly on further purification of the crude extract — BTW if one chooses chloroform here so as to avoid possible stinkants of butane, anyone has suggestions to get rid of it other than distillation?

It would be interesting if Chemetix could provide more details on that separation with chromatography — I am thinking that it is expected that one fills in the blanks on their own here though unfortunately I am a noob. Particularly about the UV-B thing. The most relevant thing I could find concerning that was a brief mention in Wikipedia that THC absorbs UV-B light though I don't know what to make of that, and googling of "THC UV-B" seems to give only, and plenty of, results concerning the exposure of Cannabis plants to UV light to increase THC content.

Also I would be interested in that "converting inactive cannabinoids to THC by treatment with acid" claim. There are dozens of cannabinoids and all of them get turned to THC simple as that? Apparently this indeed is the case with CBD, so perhaps THC and CBD together amount to pretty much all of the cannabinoid content in the plant and this was what was meant. Oh and the mechanism here would be an intramolecular hydration of alkene with water and acid right? — protonation of the primary carbon in that terminal double bond there forming a carbonation which is then attacked by that extra alcohol.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 5-1-2017 at 03:41

Chemetix is talking about (HP)LC, UV absorption is a standard method for detecting organics coming of the column. Probably out of reach of most amateurs, but you could run a silica column and detect the product via TLC. You do need standards to determine what is in the fraction coming of the column though.

[Edited on 5-1-2017 by Tsjerk]
psychοtic
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-1-2017 at 03:58

I see. I think then I could run some TLC's on the extract with different solvent systems until I find one that separates the cannabinoids nicely, then do the math and run it in a column, bioassay the fractions to tell who's who.
Chemetix
Hazard to Others

Mood: Wavering between lucidity and madness

[*] posted on 5-1-2017 at 04:53

Just a bog standard chromatography column with a glass frit and a tap on the bottom, blacklight makes the bands stand out. Make a slurry with IPA and alumina and run the column normal phase. If you want to be higher resolution then a graded elution with acetonitrile- water might help you. But is this an analytical technique you are after or something you might call food grade?
You won't be able to tell much by eye except two or three bands, the fronts the THC and the tails the CBDs, one is a greenish yellow under UV the other a more blueish colour. Chlorophylls and other large molecular mass stuff pretty much sit on the top of the column and don't move. The other terpinoids elute pretty much invisibly and you won't get any practical separation with this method.

[Edited on 5-1-2017 by Chemetix]
diphenylmorpholine
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 13:55

The truth for all your cientific pot heads, that the medicinal value of Cannabis relies, not in THC alone but i think in an harmonly, well configurated, evenly distribuated Cannabinoide mixture, this is what medicine wants and needs, till we realize that there is no other like it, no dronabinol or marinol will be able to do that.
The jamaikan or rasta must now that ? What i want to say, there is a reason.

An good, critical fluid extraction will be enough, butane but with some thinking one could uso CO2, a lot cheaper and will not blow your brains out if some goes wrong. You newer now, thinks Happen in a second.
CO2 is green, hello planet, hello cannabis.
alking
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 18:09

Why would CO2 not blow your brains out? A super critical system is under a LOT more pressure than a tube of butane or however people do it. CO2 might not be flammable the damage done is way way worse. Unless you're doing your butane extractions over a gas stove or something there's no risk of it igniting anyway, explosion or not.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 10-1-2017 at 18:40

Quote:

Unless you're doing your butane extractions over a gas stove or something there's no risk of it igniting anyway

Um, no.

Butane vapors are heavier than air, just like propane, gasoline, etc. They will creep along the floor and concentrate in low areas, perhaps even flow down your basement stairway looking for an ignition source. Which can be anything from static sparks to a non TEFC appliance motor, gas appliance pilot flame, electric light switch or whatever. Do ya feel LUCKY?

Explosive/ignitable concentration range for butane IS quite a bit narrower (1.8-8.4% by volume) than some other god awful things stoners have used over the years to extract the goodies from canabis, in particular diethyl ether... But it exists, and you can find it by accident if you carelessly (stoned?) handle enough of it, often enough. Hell, it is wider than GASOLINE'S flammable range.

http://www.fireengineering.com/articles/print/volume-169/iss...

I knew someone (dead now) who 40 odd years back survived burning down a house while trying to use a purloined jug of pharmaceutical grade diethyl ether for this process. He turned on a light switch in his "lab", saw a little bitty flame jump out of the switch box- and a few seconds later it was over, except for a very unpleasant burn ward visit, some skin grafts and a lot of legal issues.

Smoking is bad for your health, m'kay?

[Edited on 11-1-2017 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 18-1-2017 at 16:01

Came across these lately and thought I'd drop them here..................

https://www.google.com/patents/US20020086438

and

Attachment: Cannabis Oil - Chemical Evaluation.pdf (761kB)
This file has been downloaded 441 times

/CJ

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top