Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: possibility for THC extraction
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 4-8-2005 at 09:52

The evaporating butane could simply be burned off, leaving harmless water + CO<sub>2</sub>.
daeron
Hazard to Self

Mood: cancerogenic

[*] posted on 4-8-2005 at 11:04

dont forget that often butane/propane contains also mercaptans,disulphides and other very tasty S compounds....but butane/propane extr is the easiest extr,and has very good yields.it is also a idiots sure way to death
epck
Harmless

Mood: confused

[*] posted on 4-8-2005 at 11:21

Hmmm...I know they add methyl mercaptan to propane and natural gas to make leaks easily detectable by smell. However, I thought butane was mostly used as lighter fluid, in Zippos and such. I would think that with a decent purity butane you would not have to worry about significant contamination of Sulfur containing compounds.

That being said I remember reading this experience report off of Erowid were a guy had health problems from using impure butane to produce his hash oil. Aaah, the dangers of OTC solvents.
daeron
Hazard to Self

Mood: cancerogenic

[*] posted on 4-8-2005 at 11:46

90% of butane,propane or lpg comes out of primary distillation and cracker units of oil refineries,often before the hydrofining units(the ones that remove the S compounds) so yes there are a lot of S compounds in those gasses(a lot is a couple of hundred ppms,btw)
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 4-8-2005 at 12:38

Sulfur compounds are pretty stinky too, last time I sniffed an outgassing lighter (not lit :D) it was only a faint solvent smell. That's got to be at least <1ppm sulfur, no?

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
UpNatom
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-8-2005 at 13:38
High purity butane

Some brands have impurities and some don't. Here is an excellent thread on the subject: http://www.overgrow.com/growfaq/1700 which includes a list of the best brands to use.

Butane impurities damage turbo/jet lighters so some manufacturers go out of their way to highlight their brand as ultrapure. Here is one such and another list of brands to look out for:
http://www.keen-newport.com/ourBenchmark.htm

If you are in the UK, look around for Sanmex which I get from a local £-shop. 300mls/£1 can't be bad and its high purity.

In UK, remember hash/herbal=class C, Oil=class A!
superman
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-8-2005 at 20:35

"Acetone works well too, its just that it extracts everything"

that's why you just rinse the plant meterial. use a metal strainer and two big bowls of solvent, pouring from one bowl over the meterial and into the other bowl.
Taaie-Neuskoek
Hazard to Others

Mood: Botanical!

[*] posted on 31-8-2005 at 01:41

THC does not only excist in its free form in the plant, but also as its glycoside! This glycoside however, is unstable, and will decompose into TCH and the rest above ~160°C. THC itself has a very boiling point, making it for researchers very difficult to actually measure how much someone actually inhales. A guy on a former trainee was busy with that kind of research, and they found that when cannabis was smoked by a glass pipe, afterward most of the THC was still in the pipe, because in condensed instantly again. They also doubted hoe much was taken up by the lungs, or that the effect is mainly due to uptake by mouth.

This is also how they found out about the glycoside, the amounts of THC recovered from other experiments was higher then they found in the original plant material...

Funny though, here (in The Netherlands) it is only allowed to have fields of cannabis (for rope production etc) which have less than 0.5% free THC in their tops, but there is nothing written about the glycoside... :D.
Any plant biotechnologists with a bit of spare time here??

Never argue with idiots, they drag you down their level and beat you with experience.
trilobite
Hazard to Others

Mood: lonely

[*] posted on 31-8-2005 at 13:54

That's interesting, I didn't know of the glycoside. Do you know how big a portion does it make compared to THC? Depends on the part of the plant, of course.

By the way, it appears that the low amounts of THC in those strains results from suppression of the conversion of CBD to THC in the plant, so there should be little of the glycoside as well. On the other hand isomerization should do just fine with the CBD, giving the delta-8 isomer.
crankyperson
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-1-2006 at 13:11

hi,
thank god for this thread.
few days ago i made a very unnormal notice.
i put 3 grams of pot into a 50 ml flask and extracted with butane.
i filtered (didn't need an icebad, the temperature in my lab was - 10 °C), and tilted the liquid butane into a nickelpan. i let it vaporize at the air (the next day temperature climb at 3°C)
now the notice: there was no oil,just a solid with a very high viscosity (hope you understand what i mean.it is like glue.....).
and now i wonder what this solid is.
of course i smoked that solid,and it was very good,so i think the THCpart in it is very high....
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 19-1-2006 at 14:35

The low temperature probably increased the oil's viscosity and formed your 'solid'. It's a well known fact of chemical processing: hot liquids are generally less viscous than colder ones.
jon
Hazard to Others

Mood: paranoid distrustful apprehensive

[*] posted on 19-1-2006 at 20:39

Hexane is even better than butane it gets a pure cut of the cannabonoids you go down to office max I saw it somewhere there in pure form. butane is tricky to work with the way I used to do is solvate all the crude thc in ethanol and evaporate onto silica, sand, or salt to give surface area then put into as coke bottle thread with teflon tape for the seal then freeze or cool some butane in the freezer and pour the cooled butane into the bottle with the mixture and shake the hell out of it, then settle the butane off then cool the bottle and pour it onto a pyrex dish. this shit tasted like hydro and would make you hallucinate. very good stuff it was a blackis green oil.
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-8-2016 at 10:26

As it goes along they talk about an entourage effect.
The Scientist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csbJnBKqwIw#t=1m37s

[Edited on 20-8-2016 by Morgan]
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 23-8-2016 at 21:59

If you want something absurdly pure, you could extract with chloroform and then extract that solution with arginine in water at 0 C. Arginine is a weak base but it'll deprotonate any carboxylic acid and it isn't as reactive as NaOH. Boiling that solution and then extracting with diethyl ether/ethyl acetate/MEK/CHCl3 (pick one) should give nearly 100% cannabinoids with no caryophyllenes or other oils.

EDIT: s/ascorbate/arginine/g. If you don't have arginine, pyrrolidine or guanidine should work.

[Edited on 24-8-2016 by clearly_not_atara]
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 24-8-2016 at 00:49

Quote:
If you want something absurdly pure, you could extract with chloroform

Absurdly pure what, atara ─ cannabis resin is a complex mixture of compounds and pure THC itself is not desirable as an intoxicant?

clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 24-8-2016 at 06:47

To be specific, I tried to describe a way to get only carboxylic acids without any other terpenoids, and to do so in a way that wouldn't destroy them during extraction.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-8-2016 at 11:58

As acids, the compounds are non-psychoactive and are decarboxylated during curing so that in the dry material they exist predominantly as phenols!

But the "entourage effect" which the high essentially consists of means the inclusion of all of the resinous compounds along with all of the terpenes present.

violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 24-8-2016 at 18:33

Morgan, thanks :) I just got done watching the doccumentary. up till just after 2am last night and had to finish after work today. It was pretty interesting to see such an intelligent man, bringing in expert after expert to tell their part of the tale. the part about children getting a sub active dose( mentally) to treat cancer therapy side effects, and it's not in use today = INSANE. well practically all of it, is silly, cure for many diseases that can put you in jail. bullies with money want more... I won't drift off into into anything derailing, fear not.

would be pretty interesting to try a synthetic endogenous version(s) dose after a hard weeks work in construction. even better would be a rotating mix of the substances, in sub active quantities, given daily for a year or more. nature is about finesse, little tap at just the right time, not big hammer style. so smoking a large amount daily probably has limited benefit. whereas the small tap for a long time may be much more effective at keeping you at a point where you DON"T have to see the Doc. on a regular basis.

Don't mind people getting the after hours buzz on, but who wants to share the road with a million lit candles( potheads). I know I don't like to work under the influence of anything other than food, water and good sleep( & LOTS of caffeine, but not good for ya). so a sub active amount for daily aches and pains would be great; then have your night-cap (if any) after being done with out of house chores. would mean fellers like me could feel better with a clear head and no jail threat. 8x 200mg ibuprofen daily isn't exactly healthy, but it does keep me thinking sharp all day and productive.

Alice
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-8-2016 at 05:53

I don't know anything about extraction, but regarding decarboxylation the following might be interesting:

"Decarboxylation of Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol: Kinetics and molecular modeling"

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/251476768_Decarboxy...

There are mechanisms proposed utilizing formic acid via a direct and an indirect keto-enol pathway. The authors suggest this to happen naturally in cannabis plants having some formic acid content.

[Edited on 25-8-2016 by Alice]
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-8-2016 at 07:52

Alice talking about cannabis ─ how apt?

I've been growing the "Devil Weed with Roots in Hell" on and off since 1975 and I don't know anything about extraction, either, nor do I want to know anything about it!

The trick, I think, is to get the very best bud and smoke it in moderation.

Unfortunately the best bud comes from equatorial sativa landraces that are difficult to grow, produce paltry yields and can have flowering periods indoors of up to six months!

The mature buds don't stink to high heaven (yay) like skunk, they don't try to rip your throat out and won't render you couchlocked!

They produce a high that is some kind of magic!

That said, I'm about due another T break...

PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 25-8-2016 at 08:36

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  

Alice talking about cannabis ─ how apt?

They produce a high that is some kind of magic!
That said, I'm about due another T break...

Alice in Wonderland :):D;):cool::P
Just kidding - LOL

Tea break with the Mad Hatter :D

[Edited on 25-8-2016 by PHILOU Zrealone]

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
Alice
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-8-2016 at 09:49

What's so special about my name? Are we in kindergarten?
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 25-8-2016 at 10:08

Quote: Originally posted by Alice  
What's so special about my name? Are we in kindergarten?

Nothing! Pretty usual forename...even inspiring for poetry or rap "Alice is nice and cooler than ice"

Also the name of a propellant Al-ICE (Aluminium nanopowder and solid water (ice)).

Humor and smiling keeps people young...live with that ;):P

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
Alice
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-8-2016 at 10:37

LOL
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-8-2016 at 06:29

Quote:
Tea break with the Mad Hatter :D

Lol! It's what we tokers call a "tolerance break" PHILOU!

But I'm not exactly in a rush...if you get my drift? ;)

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top