Pages:  1    3    5  ..  11
Author: Subject: Readily Available Chemicals Website: Version 2
wertfun
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-12-2005 at 10:05

Quote:
Originally posted by I am a fish
I've massively updated my Readily Available Chemicals website.

I have abandoned the table based format in favour of a far less restrictive layout, which enables me to add more information. I have also listed appropriate suppliers with each chemical (rather than having a separate page listing all suppliers). Last but not least, I have added many new chemicals to the list

There are almost certainly some mistakes in the list, and I would appreciate them being pointed out. Comments, further information and constructive criticism are all welcome.

[Edited on 19-1-2005 by I am a fish]

Why there is no info about nitroéthane? Is there something like immunity in the world with that chemical? 10-15 years ago nitroethane was a cheapper alternative to nitromethane. Nowadays seems to be an altenative to gold.:mad:
DeAdFX
Hazard to Others

Mood: @%&$ing hardcore baby

[*] posted on 23-12-2005 at 13:07

Hey found a source for glyoxal 1 gallon for ~17ish usd
http://www.statlab.com/Products/CDC/CDC_ProdID_FS-1.htm

I have not ordered from this site i just found it9google image search) so that is all I can say:D

I haven't looked at the other prats of the site so there might be some other chemicals of use..
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 23-12-2005 at 19:56

Not a bad find. But would like to know what the proprietory buffer listed on the MSDS is. Other chems are a little steep. $40 for 500ml of ammonia??!:o:o Wholly crap!

Fellow molecular manipulator
DeAdFX
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-12-2005 at 11:08

For those who love to buy in shit loads of acid....

http://www.schollechemical.com/

4x55 gallon 1.265 specific gravity sulfuric for 375usd:o

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000B9U3HA/qid...

DMSO 16oz 99% purity for 4.29 usd

[Edited on 24-12-2005 by DeAdFX]

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 18:07

Here's a website I stumbled across today which complements I am a fish's list of Readily Available Chemicals. Most are duplicated in his list but there may be some new items.

http://www.chymist.com/Common%20chemicals.pdf

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 19:32
Additional resources

magpie, thanks for the additonal info. I saved a copy under CHEMISTRY - OTHER on my FTP.
We can never have TOO many sources. That being said, there seems to be a dismissal by
some about producing reagents by other than conventional methods. Nitric acid is a good example.
I'm scouring this and other boards for ANY means of producing what we need. I will put the
results on my FTP. The day may come when producing such compounds by these less efficient and
more complex methods may become necessary. I want the information to be available.

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 19:39

Yes. Unfortunately the day may be coming when we are reduced to starting with "earth, fire, and water." At that point we will really need all our skills - and each other.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 20:14

That is an interesting document. I think I found an error in it, though:

Quote:

potassium hydroxide-- Mix wood ashes with water. Let stand overnight. Filter the solution of
caustic potash. (CAUTION: This is a highly caustic solution.) To make
potassium hydroxide, add calcium oxide, stir, and filter the solution.

Last I checked, hydroxides went to carbonates when exposed to the air, not the other way around.
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 20:37

Quote:
Originally posted by Magpie
Yes. Unfortunately the day may be coming when we are reduced to starting with "earth, fire, and water." At that point we will really need all our skills - and each other.

Or a business license and a prayer...
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 26-1-2006 at 20:54

When looking for chemicals and equipment I recommend that you thoroughly get to know your local businesses. They will often have something you need and you can save time, effort, and especially postage. To my chagrin I will give two examples of screwups I recently made:

1) Needed some phenolpthalein indicator. Searched the internet and found 1 oz (33 mL) for $4.25 + $4.50 postage. Shortly after ordering this I decided to check out my local brewing supplies dealer. There was 1/2 oz phenopthalein for $1.50. :(

2. Needed a 6.5" (16 cm) iron frying pan. Found one on the internet. Payed ~$8 postage. A few days later was looking around a local farm supply and there it was. Same price but no freight to pay. :(

So I try to treat every business I walk into as a potential chemical and equipment supplier for my mad science. I'm continually surprised by what's out there. I just recently discovered a source of pure heptane: a craft shop where it is sold as a solvent for rubber cement!

The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 26-1-2006 at 21:19

Definatly Magpie, back when I was just beginning, I was at a great uncles house, and he does some work with rocks and sheet metal, and he was an old Swiss war vet, so he had some really nice guns. As he was showing me some of his guns, I saw 3 bottles of liquids, and asked what they were, they were conc. nitric, sulfuric and hydrochloric acids, he used them for cleaning rocks and sheet metal(inside, with no ventilation, hmm...). I ended up getting the business card for a lapidary supplier in town, so now I can buy nitric, sulfuric, hydrochloric, and phosphoric acids locally. They do not even ask who I am anymore, however it is a bit more expensive than ordering off the internet as they resell stuff from Fischer. They will also special order anything I want although I no longer do that after they quoted 500g of K2CO3 to be 60$....(I got 1kg for 4$ elsewhere :P.)

Anywhere I go, madscience follows, hardware store, grocery store, dumpsters outside of engineering buildings, chemistry buildings and physics buildings, broken glass bins in the lab(TAs too lazy to wash sample vials and just throw them out), construction sites....really, anywhere you are has stuff with the potential to be (ab)used for madscience.:cool::cool:

tis the life...

Ice_Chief
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-6-2006 at 18:28

Sorry if this link has been posted before, but it is quite usefull.

http://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/list?tbl=TblChemica...
It lists chemicals and what products you can find them in and in what percentages.
JRistau81
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-7-2006 at 10:09

HEy I am a fish. I love your site! It's been very helpful so far. In the US and I'm sure elsewhere Calcium Hydroxide can be bought in the grocery store as Pickling lime, the brand i like in particular is Mrs. Wages. It should be very pure as it is food grade.

http://mrswages.stores.yahoo.net/mrswagpiclim.html
JRistau81
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-7-2006 at 10:11

Just looked and it says "no additives or preservatives."
DeAdFX
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-8-2006 at 07:53

http://valuenutritionstore.stores.yahoo.net/asac10puvic3.htm...

Speaking of food grade... 16 USD for 3lb of ascorbic acid. Pretty good deal considering this stuff goes for ~20-30 USD average on other sites. You can also get free shipping on the website for orders over 100 USD[check bottom of page for more details]. They also have some other interesting chemicals like amino acids...
t3knology
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-10-2006 at 08:41

EXCELLENT site

very appreciated
tumadre
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-10-2006 at 09:05

add the company: www.allelectronics.com

not a chemists' favorite , but you can't beat their prices on electronic and electrical equipment
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 3-2-2007 at 16:14
dilemma

It bothers me when members flame at other members. "I am a fish has developed his site with generosity of time and effort. I have to appreciate that. Is it unwise to publish information on where and how to do business with chemical suppliers? It's remotely possible that some of them might be abused by members and thereby become wary or unavailable in the future. More likely, they would appreciate the referrals (if they knew). How many chemicals on his list are "watched?" I don't know but not a majority anyway. Whether to openly distribute this kind of information or not is a dilemma. There are arguments for and against. Stating one's opinion on it could be done courtiously and would be more likely to be considered if presented so. I'm taking this opportunity to thank 'fish' for his work.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

[*] posted on 17-2-2007 at 00:09

Interesting: Found a solution of selenous acid and nickel chloride as some sort of gun bore cleaner at the gun store. Prolly dilute though.

Few other exotic chems for cleaning guns existed, but they were about to close for the night and I had a few other things to get.

conducter
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 23-3-2007 at 15:14

i was looking in the readily available chemicals website and saw a place in germany that sells 250mL n-butylamine.

does anyone know if there would be any problems importing this small amount of n-butylamine? cuz i cant seem to find a place in the u.s. that supplies it.
Nixie
Hazard to Others

Mood: ?

[*] posted on 23-3-2007 at 15:17

Things are going badly here... up until last year it was easy to buy nitrate as stump remover, but now no one stocks that, and they don't give a reason, but I can guess after specific events here.

\"Good is a product of the ethical and spiritual artistry of individuals; it cannot be mass-produced.\" --Aldous Huxley
The_Davster
A pnictogen

[*] posted on 23-3-2007 at 15:26

It has been banned for use as stump remover.:(

egloskerry
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 28-4-2007 at 09:34

For ceramic suppliers, add www.sheffield-pottery.com. They have very good prices on oxides, and they also stock Na and K nitrate. The only thing that sucks is you have to order by phone, and it's sometimes hard to get through.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 28-4-2007 at 10:28

The_Davster says:
Quote:

It has been banned for use as stump remover.

Is just for Canada? I have not heard that this is true in the US (yet).

If they ban the stump removers can pottery equivalents be far behind. :(

The_Davster
A pnictogen

[*] posted on 28-4-2007 at 10:33

Seems just for Canada.
'Later's' stump remover was banned as it was pure KNO3. However 5 months later I saw a new brand of stump remover claiming content of KNO3. So I have no idea on the current status of it. Have not checked lately, as I have enough KNO3.
I also ordered a couple kilos from the US from a pottery supplier soon after the ban with no issues.

Pages:  1    3    5  ..  11

Go To Top