Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Do amino acids precipitate out of aqueous solution at their respective isoelectric points?
rannyfash
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-8-2014 at 17:02
Do amino acids precipitate out of aqueous solution at their respective isoelectric points?

I apologise if the answer is available online, i have been unable to find a definite answer, Do amino acids precipitate out of aqueous solution at their respective isoelectric points? if not is there a method other than chromatography for the separation of large quantities of amino acids?
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
13-8-2014 at 07:39
JAVA
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 20-8-2014 at 12:26

If their pI value is reached they might form a precipitate with a saturated ammonium sulphate solution and diluted HCl.

If not there are options to get them out of the solution, amino acids are very soluble in water but maybe less in water/acetone or another solvent that is miscible in water, maybe.

Ninhydride is used to find out if the precipitate are really amino acids. The pI of every amino acid is different.

Flash chromatography looks the easiest way to separate them, but if this isn't allowed then gel electrophoresis might be a method to separate them.

btw: I think that it's tuff to get cysteine in the pure form because of oxidation.

www.versuchschemie.de

"Keep sportive it's like Soccer: play on the ball, not on the players"
rannyfash
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-8-2014 at 13:59

thanks, those methods are used to precipitate proteins and i think they might work but i cant find anything on the internet (there must be something but i cant find it), my aim is for the end product to be edible, ill give it a try when im not so busy

Go To Top