Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Dean Stark Trap
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 19-1-2009 at 08:31

(offtopic) the "sub" and "sup" HTML tags work on this board, like so: <sup>3</sup>H<sub>2</sub>O . ;)

Aubrey,

Nicodem is generally polite. That you have managed to piss him off somewhat is due in part, in all bluntness, some residual ignorance on you. I suggest you look beyond the harsh words and heed his advice. :)

sparky (~_~)

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
piracetam
Hazard to Self

Mood: copacetic

[*] posted on 19-1-2009 at 08:52

indeed

I'm somewhat of a n00b here, but no n00b to the art. I have immense respect for those who demonstrate the safe and conscious application of it, and little respect for those who don't.
I think nicodem's tone is pretty lenient. hive mods would've already devoured her (especially with their UTFSE redundancy, the shortest, lazy response to laziness)

there should be a Darwin Awards forum on this board

[Edited on 19-1-2009 by piracetam]
crazyboy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Marginally insane

[*] posted on 19-1-2009 at 12:52

Aubrey/FloridaAlchemist, I have no idea how you are having trouble with this. Esterfication is a simple reaction and reflux is a simple process.

5g benzoic acid
50ml 96% ethanol
6ml sulfuric acid

Combine in a 500ml flask with condenser. Add a few boiling stones reflux gently for four hours. That's it. This ester has an intensely fruity smell.

panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 19-1-2009 at 13:00

Aubrey please have a look at this:

http://www.pasynthetics.com/experiments/experiment_pdfs/Expe...

This is my account of making Methyl Benzoate I am unsure what I used as references that is in my lab book but this should be helpful. 50% yield without any removal of water and a work up is written too. I think a Dean Stark is not needed. I would just use excess methanol/ethanol. I would perhaps use Dean Stark etc if you were using an expensive alcohol and wanted maximum yields.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Aubrey
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-1-2009 at 04:59

thanks for all the replies.
To Nicodem, apologies for saying youire spiteful, i'm sure your intentions were good and i reacted too defensively, which in hindsight i felt bad about. With regard to the reference thing, i didn't realise i was asking for special treatment, because the site specifically says 'Access must be requested of a moderator.', and i couldn't access it without the password, so I asked you

I made a mistake the first time with this experiment, but i learnt a lot. Surely next time i'll get the product i'm aiming for, but it's really a learning process for me. I'm also trying basic college stuff, extraction of caffeine etc.
warmest regards all
panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 20-1-2009 at 05:48

Another very easy ester to make is methyl or ethyl salicylate.

With the methyl or ethyl benzoate you can easily nitrate it and that opens up many doorways.

Manipulating these products will give you skills in washing liquid products, solvent extraction, drying, redistillation, etc.

On my site I describe preparing an ester, nitrating it, saponifying and isolating the acid. You could do something similar.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Aubrey
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-1-2009 at 08:51

thanks, i just might, now that i've acquired most of the bits and pieces I need ;)
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 23-1-2009 at 19:57

Aubrey:- your equipment is shit and there's no reason for it. You could use a pyrex bowl and oil for heat and the stirring system would work. You have an ST flask and condenser connected with rubber stoppers and copper tubing.. why? You have too few clamps and you're using a mail caddy in place of stands. I understand working on the cheap but with a little thought you might improvise with a lot more skill than you've shown here.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 9-2-2009 at 22:39

Quote:
Originally posted by sparkgap

Aubrey,

Nicodem is generally polite. That you have managed to piss him off somewhat is due in part, in all bluntness, some residual ignorance on you. I suggest you look beyond the harsh words and heed his advice. :)

sparky (~_~)

I'm not sure I entirely agree with that statement either. Nicodem is a moderator now and as such should aspire to a higher level of courtesy and decorum. When the mods lower themselves to flaming it reflects badly on the whole forum. That said, the guy has been a little difficult.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top