Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chemist in pharmaceutical industry?
yiberkit
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-8-2014 at 06:04
Chemist in pharmaceutical industry?

Now Ive managed to find pharmaceutical industry firm job, they told me first of all it will be 1 month trial.
I dont know what kind of laboratory work that i will do or learn.
But I have to know which things that I should pay attention to it in 1 month trial work period.

What are the work tasks and working environment in pharma labs?
Which things can I learn before entering to that job?
I need help from pharmaceutical industry chemists or technicians. What are the hardest part of them?

What are the lab. equipments and analyse or process tasks of pharma laboratories? Im not good at using my hands in the jobs which needs flexible in manual dexterity.

What are the work-time hours of pharma companies? They wanted lots of hospital tests before joining to that job, this means it will be more risky work aura with chemical inhalation and risky work tasks. Therefore it must be short work times in a routine laboratory days. Also it must be holiday in the weekends. Am I true or wrong?

[Edited on 17-8-2014 by yiberkit]

[Edited on 17-8-2014 by yiberkit]

AvBaeyer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-8-2014 at 19:43

Your questions cannot be effectively answered without more information.

What is your degree level? Pharma jobs are very much defined by degree level and experience.

What is your work area? Analytical, process chem. medicinal chemistry, other?

Finally, if as you say, you are not good at using your hands, your career may be short.

AvB
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 18-8-2014 at 03:51

Lucky you that you didn't make a hands comment on a job interview or else you could be fired before you even started.
yiberkit
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-8-2014 at 08:31

Quote: Originally posted by AvBaeyer  
Your questions cannot be effectively answered without more information.

What is your degree level? Pharma jobs are very much defined by degree level and experience.

What is your work area? Analytical, process chem. medicinal chemistry, other?

Finally, if as you say, you are not good at using your hands, your career may be short.

AvB

I have 4 year chemistry degree and I will probably work on quality control lab.

[Edited on 18-8-2014 by yiberkit]

yiberkit
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-8-2014 at 09:08

Quote: Originally posted by forgottenpassword  
That was my first job after university. The company I worked at manufactured 2 different products in bulk, and there were tests on products of the various stages of production, as well as on the final product. It is a good job. Not too difficult, and gives you a lot of experience with a variety of equipment and tests.
There is lots of preparing volumetric solutions for GC and LC tests for impurities. Analysing the results to make sure that impuries are less than specifications. IR spectra, titrations, UV spectra, Karl Fischer tests, refractive index, colorimetric test, particle size, bulk density, sulfated ash. I can't remember, but there are probably others.
You will be trained on the equipment, so you only have to have a decent understanding and familiarity with the basics. Probably you will put the LC and GC runs on every morning, do the other tests and fill out the forms during the day, and integrate and record your chromatography runs in the afternoon, or put more on to run overnight.
It's good experience to have if you're interested in analytical development, which is what I moved in to.

So what do you think about weakness of my hand ability to use equipments truly and quickly?
Can I improve my hand ability?

yiberkit
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-8-2014 at 11:13

Quote: Originally posted by forgottenpassword  
Are you disabled?

No. But my intelligence is not good. So my head is often seesaw. Only I can success on when I truly memorize things..

pepsimax
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-8-2014 at 11:57

Don't put yourself down, you must be capable of success or you wouldn't have been given a trial. Or a degree for that matter.

Good luck.

yiberkit
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-8-2014 at 20:19

I think that my degree was a matter.
So laboratory environments are overly different than other jobs environments. So people in the lab.'s are more friendly with each other. Less fighting , more sweetness and respect. I believe if I cant join their friendly aura then I cant get accordance in that job. I also realized that laboratory jobs cant earn much. Because job responsibility is dividing into all of lab. personel. Plus you cant take over expensive machines as like as chemical engineers do. Chem Engineers who works on the plant scale earn much more than that. So you cant pay your housing payments while holding your chemistry degree job.

yiberkit
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-8-2014 at 08:50
How can I improve my career in pharmaceutical industry?

I am actually working on a pharmaceutical industry and in quality control lab. as an analyst. I have 4 year chemistry bachelor degree. So, my question is what are the possibilities in this area in order to do my career up? If I go into master which qualify and benefit can I gain for myself and company purposes?
What are the extra degrees should I study?
What are the certificates / courses should I go?
What are the chances of my future career opportunities in pharmaceutical industry?
How can I educate myself to prevent from firing (from the firms)?
Does 4 year chemistry degree enough to lift up in the career ladder for future?

AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 31-8-2014 at 10:52

I would like to say otherwise, but brown nosing appears to be a successfully strategy. One reason, I suspect, is that developing a good personal relationship with your boss interferes with his rational thought processes :o.

Others think likewise (see http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-employment/1918296-brown... ).

So ask your new best friend (your boss, as if you forgot) what he thinks or did, and go that route.

The major problem with this strategy is, of course, if he is truly a dumb asshole, both your careers could be short lived.

Another crazy workable strategy for a select few (based on an actual experience I observed with a summer intern), if your name closely matches the company's founder's name, again human behavior appears to be altered in favor of the person with the power name.

[Edited on 31-8-2014 by AJKOER]
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 23-9-2014 at 10:33

I forgot to mention more obvious strategies like dress better, smell better (taking a bath on occasion is OK, really) and generally be more attractive. The latter could be as simple as changing your glasses, your haircut, losing weight or, in the case of one of my neighbors, remove an ugly mole.

This girl with the mole near the top of her lip to the left of nose, other than the mole, is like movie star material, but with that mole, it is hard to look at her. What a waste!

By the way, in case you haven't guessed yet, the key to success, in my opinion, is not so correlated to educational achievement, the right courses, etc., as to that inter-personal feel good stuff (total crap, I agree, but apparently important).

[Edited on 23-9-2014 by AJKOER]
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-9-2014 at 10:40

You already asked essentially this question repeatedly and have received a bevy of replies. You also need to post this under Miscellaneous as it is not a chemistry post.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=31695#...

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=32678

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=32478#...

This forum is about chemistry, not helping someone with poor grades not tale advice and ask the same job related questions over and over. We gave you plenty of advice, take it and move on.

[Edited on 23-9-2014 by Chemosynthesis]
Bert
Super Administrator
Threads Merged
23-9-2014 at 10:52
yiberkit
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 06:54
Why I'm fired from Pharmaceutical Company?

I was working on a pharmaceutical company as a quality control analyst. I have 4 year bachelor chemistry degree from a low reputed university in Turkey. They hired me with mentioned that 1 month trial period firstly.After that, they fired me almost 1 month time...

They've started teaching me some bulk density and sieve analysis in 3rd week. Because they told me first 1 and 2nd weeks are audit weeks which maintained by external inspection personnels. While, they are teaching me in 3rd week , they just showed me in 2 days for all of the analysis. So, they told me "you are not learning quickly. It takes much time to learn." They also said "you are not concentrated on this job and careless."
After that I've learned and memorized some of the analysis. Our lab. chief let me to stay alone in the lab at evening time and let me do all of the analysis just myself.
I did much more of analysis with some mesh's, bulk density, IR water and some weighings etc..
After that someone from a quality control lab. told me that you did something wrong when you stay alone in the lab. and lab. chief speaking about your mistakes ...
After that at the end of 4th week , human resources personnel told me you are fired.
Meanwhile I turned back to my hometown again. I dont believe that I find again like that pharma job again because of 1 month fired stain.

(I believe , I had some mistakes but I also believe that main guilty came from our lab. chief. Because they didn't teach me until 3rd week for most important analysis (dc and paracetamol) . I just did helping to raw material analysis analyst in 3 weeks. When much more of pharmaceutical production (paracetamol) comes out , they've started to teach me for it. I must be stay in the night shift analysis to maintain production and quality control department at the same time as alone. Two of them (analyst) of teaching personnel reported me as very bad to our lab. chief. After that the lab. chief let me to stay in evening shift to maintain some analysis. Some of the sieve mesh's are not found in our lab. So we look it with so close mesh's instead of what it should be. Ive done a mistake when looking one mesh , they said. They just showed me and wrote that analyse (fine powder dc) firstly on that time.)

Now Im doing porter (carrier) job in my friends glassware storage with very low wage and zero assurance.

- My past jobs were"storage works in power plant building site, paid biology teaching, car park attendant, waiter, carpenter apprentice, furniture and glassware porter, tea seller, casier in ironmonger etc..-

Could you suggest me please, what can I do after all those things?
Which job would be suits me best?
I dont believe that gaining a master degree would be help me.
I dont like chemistry laboratory things.
I just like computer , internet and some mechanical things, also english language and some kind of philosophic science things...

So, what can I do?

[Edited on 11-10-2014 by yiberkit]

[Edited on 11-10-2014 by yiberkit]

hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 07:29

Work on your English and communication skills. That may be the root of your problems to begin with.
yiberkit
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 07:36

Quote: Originally posted by hyfalcon  
Work on your English and communication skills. That may be the root of your problems to begin with.

I am not english nor native eng. speaker. I am living in turkey and im turkish.

Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 07:38

Stop position basically the same job related questions. This is an amateur forum, and I doubt we have many members with knowledge of the job market in your region anyway.
yiberkit
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 07:46

Quote: Originally posted by Chemosynthesis  
Stop position basically the same job related questions. This is an amateur forum, and I doubt we have many members with knowledge of the job market in your region anyway.

But I dont have any domestic forum websites in my region to ask those kind of things..

Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 08:08

Look at the Pharma industry in your region, look at what they make. Then try and practice what you think are the core skills they need ;).
Its common sense. Find what people are looking for, then go get the skills they want. Put everything into it and practice practice practice.
My dad told me the following when I started Secondary School

It dosnt matter what job you do, if your a road sweeper then be the best road sweeper the world has seen.
If your a Biologist then be the best in the area you have chosen.

What I am getting at is find what they need and go get those skills, when you are great at those skills go knock on the door and say, look you need X Y Z skills I have those skills, I am better than your best but I will work from the bottom up to prove that to you.

Most will probably disagree, but most people go down the route called hearts and mind route. In other words tread careful treat people nice get them to like you and they will do what you want.
In my short life I discovered this is shit, there is a short cut............. Grab them by the bollocks and squeeze hard, while you have those in your hands there hearts and minds will follow wherever you take there bollocks :D
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Threads Merged
11-10-2014 at 08:19
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 08:32

Quote: Originally posted by yiberkit  
But I dont have any domestic forum websites in my region to ask those kind of things..

Why would you even want to ask these kind of things on a forum? All this questions are totally silly. If you had the slightest intent to be good at a job, you would be doing it with enthusiasm and that would be all it takes to keep it.
If you don't like chemistry, then why you studied it? If you don't like to work in an analytical laboratory, then why did you apply in the pharmaceutical company? If you are disorganized and of poor dexterity, then why did you accept a position in the quality control? If you don't understand the basic analytical techniques, then why are you so surprised that fired you? If you continuously keep asking for same advices over and over again on an internet forum, then how can you expect to be a person worthy of receiving an amicable response from your chief?
You should work on your attitude toward life, rather than asking advices on internet forums.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 09:05

Quote: Originally posted by Nicodem  
Quote: Originally posted by yiberkit  

Why would you even want to ask these kind of things on a forum? All this questions are totally silly. If you had the slightest intent to be good at a job, you would be doing it with enthusiasm and that would be all it takes to keep it.
If you don't like chemistry, then why you studied it? If you don't like to work in an analytical laboratory, then why did you apply in the pharmaceutical company? If you are disorganized and of poor dexterity, then why did you accept a position in the quality control? If you don't understand the basic analytical techniques, then why are you so surprised that fired you? If you continuously keep asking for same advices over and over again on an internet forum, then how can you expect to be a person worthy of receiving an amicable response from your chief?
You should work on your attitude toward life, rather than asking advices on internet forums.

Tobe fair he is from turkey and not native speaker, he has spoken with a basic frame of words. Also cultures and attitudes are different.
Like India for example, in some cultures asking others this kind of thing is normal and exceptable.
Sorry but trying to apply western logic on everything is a narrow vision, its also why we have wars.
Learn to except others are not clones of what you feel is correct or not. The fact he has asked and been open shows he wants guidance and to correct mistakes.
Taking the piss and putting him down serves nothing positive.
It is far far preferable to say fuck all than to say something negative, I am starting to think you get your jollies by being a bit of a twat and putting people down.
Your clearly a intelligent guy with alot of knowledge. use it for good and stop being a arse. Having said that obviously everyone is entitled to an opinion, its just a shame that as a species we insist on sharing most of them
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 09:15

Little_Ghost, I think your interpretation is completely out of line. The original poster has cluttered up the forum with repeated requests for academic and job advice. That is not what the forum is for, and he refuses to accept that despite his acknowledgement of having poor grades, job skills, and lack of interest, he is not cut out for a chemical or pharmaceutical job.

It is not the employer's responsibility to hire him. It is not our responsibility to assist him. He needs to help himself, and we already gave him more advice than is reasonable. Feel free to familiarize yourself on the posts, including advicr to go to a college career services, etc. Your views on the "west" and culture, war, morality, etc. are off topic, and irrelevant. This is supposed to a forum for scientific cohesivity, and Nicodem helps run the site, so I think his views on what are and are not acceptable can be taken at face value. Sometimes being honest and blunt is necessary to get people to reach their potential rather than wastefully pursue folly.
Edit: And to speak of culture, the forum has a culture and the poster is obviously not respecting it.

[Edited on 11-10-2014 by Chemosynthesis]
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 09:44

Quote: Originally posted by Little_Ghost_again  
Tobe fair he is from turkey and not native speaker, he has spoken with a basic frame of words. Also cultures and attitudes are different.

How is it relevant whether he is a native English speaker or not? I'm not a native English speaker either. Does this mean I can abuse a forum dedicated to amateur chemistry with my job related troubles?
It is because cultures are different that I did not use the pathetic Western culture "try harder, you can make it, you'll be fine" counselling. I believe I'm quite familiar with the Turkish culture, at least with their colonial subcultural remains and my reply was in line with that. A direct and personal answer aimed at the origin of the problem, rather than an obfuscation with sweet words and a diversion with secondary issues. Neither can I ignore the context. We are discussing about a job in a QA analytical control laboratory. This is not just a function that decides whether a batch is out of specification and good only for incineration. The reverse means that it can also fail and release a botched batch which will end up in people who use medications. Can you exclude yourself and your family from the potential victims?

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-10-2014 at 02:48

Yeah OK I am wrong, I didnt know he had posted so much.
My mistake and I apologize

Go To Top