Printable Version  
Author: Subject: methyl iodide NZ
Templar
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-8-2014 at 19:54
methyl iodide NZ

Hello everyone,

I have some 5L of sealed bottles of methyl iodide I was given from a closing down laboratory.

If you are in NZ and are keen on getting some, I am more than happy to offer a competitive and reasonable price, or trade for equipment/chemicals.

PM me

A 250ml bottle contains about 570g of methyl iodide; density 2.28g/ml
of that, 126g of every 141g per mol is I2 I believe

The iodine could be recycled by refluxing in sodium hydroxide, collection of the sodium iodide, and then oxidation to I2? Could be a good source of iodine for anyone.

Am I correct in saying that 5L methyl iodide probably contains about ~10kg I2 if processed efficiently?

[Edited on 24-8-2014 by Templar]

He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee.
adamsium
Hazard to Others

Mood: uprooting

[*] posted on 23-8-2014 at 21:15

Why on earth would anyone want to use iodomethane as a source of iodine?
Templar
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 24-8-2014 at 07:59

Recycling. For what reasons will this not work?

He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-8-2014 at 10:31

It would work, but it would be like melting a classic car down for scrap.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 24-8-2014 at 10:35

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
It would work, but it would be like melting a classic car down for scrap.
And since it's apparently in brand new sealed bottles, it would be like melting down a classic car that's in factory condition!

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-8-2014 at 16:06

what he said. But still, if you have lemons, you make lemonade.
adamsium
Hazard to Others

Mood: uprooting

[*] posted on 24-8-2014 at 16:20

Quote: Originally posted by Paddywhacker  
what he said. But still, if you have lemons, you make lemonade.

Yes - you make lemonade. Using iodomethane for iodine would be like composting a bunch of fresh lemons.

It's a really useful reagent and there are much better ways to get iodine if you can't just buy it.
Templar
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 24-8-2014 at 19:50

Yeah it is useful. But 5 litres is a lot.

WHere I am, they require EUD's for even ACETONE now

Its a form you fill out, send you ID and address, which gets forwarded to the NZ police and you go on a list. :)

Goes for anything of interest. Solvents. Na and K Iodide.

Using 100ml to get ~200g iodine doesnt sound like a bad idea to me. There is a lot of iodine in that 5L considering its density and molecular composition.

Buying 100ml and breaking that down to NaI using reflux in ethanol or methanol with sodium hydroxide doesnt sound like a half bad plan to me if you want to have more iodine than you will use.

[Edited on 25-8-2014 by Templar]

HgDinis25
Hazard to Others

Mood: Who drank my mercury?

[*] posted on 25-8-2014 at 12:08

My dear friends, you really have no ideia how bad chemicals are being regulated, do you?

Yes, the dark days where one needs to destroy Methyl Iodide to retrieve Iodine has arrived. NaI and KI are way too dangerous to be handled by a civilian, everyone should know that. C'mon, acetone being regulated? Because it has been used in some TATP incidents? Or should I say, badly made dimer that blew up in someone's face?

Using your analogy, one day you're going to have to steel those museum NASA shuttles to retrieve a few springs you needed for a project...
Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-8-2014 at 13:59

Methyl iodide is dangerously toxic, making 10+ litres an accident waiting to happen.

Dangerous to store, difficult to sell, disposal may be the only option. Hydrolysis with sodium hydroxide is a good option. But take care not to get thermal runaway. Methyl iodide has a low boiling point and might easily bump or boil over. A cloud of the vapor would ruin your day.

If I had to dispose of it I would use a continuous flow cell held warm enough for rapid reaction but cool enough not to boil the MeI, with peristaltic pumps to deliver the methyl iodide and a slight excess of sodium hydroxide.
Templar
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-8-2014 at 18:35

Yes, 5 L is an accident waiting to happen. Just like the 20L of everything else I have in storage, the car I drive to and from my occupation, the knives in my draws, the laces in my shoes..

The last price I saw for methyl iodide was the equivalent of $45NZ on ebay for 100ml excl shipping. I don't think its unfair to charge this considering the amount of very useful iodine you can recover from it, and that DMS will not be shipped to this country by any responsible seller. There are other methylating agents but I do not believe they are as reliable as MeI or DMS.

Iodine goes for at least $0.25/g on ebay. No EUD's, and no bullshit.

Furthermore, its AR grade. I forget which brand, maybe baker.

But it sounds like people want it for cheap, and I think it would be wiser to recover the iodine and sell that instead.

If you can make it yourself, please, do. But to my understanding this requires elemental iodine and possibly phosphorous, the two most watched chemicals in this country barring pseudoephedrine. Feel free to make it though, but dont forget to make tea and scones for the police who will come for a unannounced visit.

Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-8-2014 at 20:13

Quote: Originally posted by Templar  
... But it sounds like people want it for cheap, and I think it would be wiser to recover the iodine and sell that instead.
Absolutely, and I make no apologies for that. If you don't want to sell what buyers will pay then do not sell.

... If you can make it yourself, please, do. But to my understanding this requires elemental iodine and possibly phosphorous, ...
Not so. Only Potassium iodide and phosphoric acid. http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=12475
... Feel free to make it though, but dont forget to make tea and scones for the police who will come for a unannounced visit.
The police are welcome to tour my lab and to take samples. I don't dabble with drugs, and have no respect for anybody who does.

Anyway, I apologise for misreading your original post. I thought that you said that you had multiple 5 litre containers of methyl iodide.
Templar
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 26-8-2014 at 06:13

The war on drugs is a total failure, and an excellent excuse to strip citizens of the liberty to do something which doesnt directly effect the rights of others. It also funds criminal gangs very well, and now with the new legislation in place in many countries in regards to asset requisition funding the policing agencies, there is a vested interest in proving someone guilty who might otherwise be not.

Now that is systematic corruption! Theyre here for your safety, but they'll take days to check out your robbery, and 10-15 minutes to respond in a life and death situation. And that $400 registration / wof fine for having your car on the roads your 40-50% income taxes pay for.... well thats for your own safety too!

Police here have a presumption of guilt when it comes to hobby chemistry laboratories. It is up to their discretion how to enforce, and how overbearing to be as well.

I do not know about the conspiracy laws here though, but if you get busted for whatever reason, even invented, no one will care.

No one will speak up for you, and there is no accountability to anyone even if you are guilty because "what kind of mad person runs a chemistry lab in their garage".

If you think "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" then think again. Power and legislation always has, and will continue to be abused. Complacency is a path that ends in tears.

Anyway I just wanted to say that and I dont want to derail this thread.

Good input there paddy, I did not know you could make it with iodide and phosphoric acid.

The methyl iodide is available at $400/L. The price may come down in the future, but I think this iodine might come in handy, there have been a lot of interesting synthesis I have skipped over because I didnt have it and didnt want the hassle to get it. And I'm not talking about meth either.

Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-8-2014 at 15:41

Templar, if you are serious about your chemistry hobby then you will lose the chip on your shoulder, form a company, attend the course to get Hazmat Approved Handler certification, comply with local council regulations on solvent storage volumes and keep an eye out for bargains and for legitimate work to further your skills and reputation. Avoid doing anything stupid and the authorities are your friends.

Drug cooks are the idiots who have tarnished our hobby, so don't buy or sell to them and avoid talking like one too. If you want to bake then do it on a camper van trip through South Australia, but keep your nose clean at home.
Templar
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 8-9-2014 at 05:09

Picture of a bottle attached.

methyl iodide.jpg - 1.3MB

NOTE: shipments will be sent via a DG courier with full DG paperwork.

NOTE: I can also trade MeI for other chemicals if you are in NZ. THF, cyanuric chloride, ether; if you have chemicals and want some MeI then send me a list of what you have and maybe we can do a trade.

[Edited on 9-9-2014 by Templar]

Go To Top