Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Transcranial Magnetic Stimulator
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

thumbup.gif posted on 30-1-2005 at 13:32
The Transcranial Magnetic Stimulator

Look here

Ok this is not chemistry I apologize, but this seemed to me so very interesting that I didnt wanted to bury it in "Whimsy".

Because I am serious.

Thats a call to all electronics geeks here:
Project:
Homebuildt Transcranial Magnetic Stimulator

A danish company manufactures a well working device as the linked article discloses, the "Medtronic Mag Pro".

So anybody is interested, lets dig up all information on this, circuits, manuals etc. I have the idea that the recent development of ultrastrong and cheap neodym magnets will make this task possible to master.

/ORG

Irgendwas is ja immer
Organikum
resurrected

[*] posted on 30-1-2005 at 13:37

A description of the device can be found here

The coil should look like this:

More coils found here

Irgendwas is ja immer
Organikum
resurrected

[*] posted on 30-1-2005 at 13:49

This looks not so very hard technically, does it? Cooling of the coil will be an issue, but havent we overclocked our computers and learned the lessons well? :D

Somebody would have to dig up the articles of Allan Snyder, University of Sydney, who works on this and where we will find all necessary information on fieldstrength, waveforms and directing of the device.

And this should be completely legal!

The stimulation of the septal region is what we are after too - understood.
:D

Irgendwas is ja immer
bio2
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-1-2005 at 20:18

........................MagPro is equipped with a built-in trigger source, offering a selection of train durations from 0.2 to 10 seconds with repetition rates ranging from 5 to 30 pulses per second. ..................

I have a homemade CNS (cranial nerve stimulation) unit that has 6 selectable frequencies overlaid on 1111Hz. It will induce alpha, beta, theta, delta waves etc. The electrodes are placed on the head/neck or another ouput flashes LED glasses used with closed eyes. I have a feeling that if hooked to an inductor it would do the same thing as above.

This is similar to the description above and can be implemented with three 555 timers. One timer with a pot configured as a variable frequency generator is used for pulses per second and the other two are configured as a pulse width modulator (PWM) using another pot for the train durations. The two signals are then superimposed and fed to either a push-pull transformer step up inverter or fed directly to the magnet/coil assembly depending on the design.

Also I made a magnetic tissue stimulator which used a large inductor which was pulsed by a PWM circuit; stepped up to 90volts. Pulse duration is fixed in this case and the underlying frequency (repetition rate) is adjustable.

.............. coil temperature is displayed on an easy to read 6 level bar graph, and as for all Dantec stimulators, MagPro has a build-in thermo-sensor that prevents triggering if the coil temperature exceeds 40C................................

Why do they do this??? It could be easily done a number of ways depending on the speed/sensitivity required.

GET A SCHEMATIC!!
Organikum
resurrected

[*] posted on 30-1-2005 at 20:30

Quote:

GET A SCHEMATIC!!

Thats about what I intended to express... ;)

And the fucking articles I want to add.
Hey, chemoleo! Hey, hey! You should be able to get this yes? :D:D:D:D:D:D

Irgendwas is ja immer
FrankRizzo
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-1-2005 at 16:56

If you want some interesting reading, do a google search for a guy named Stuart Meloy, and read about his 'titillating' spinal implants. :)

BTW, there's no reason it wouldn't work the same way with guys.

The patent number: 6,169,924

[Edited on 1-2-2005 by FrankRizzo]

Go To Top