Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: separation of ethylamines
xxxxx
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-2-2005 at 09:29
separation of ethylamines

ethanol is used to separate ethylamine hydrochloride from ammonium chloride. chloroform is used to separate diethylamine hydrochloride from ethylamine hydrochloride. i was wondering if anyone might have information regarding using progressively less polar solvents to separate diethylamine hydrochloride and triethylamine hydrochloride and quanternary ethylamine hydrochloride.
Esplosivo
Hazard to Others

Mood: Quantized

[*] posted on 2-2-2005 at 11:44

I think your statement is not correct since ionic salts like the diethylamine hydrochloride and ethylamine hydrochloride would not be soluble in organic, non-polar (hydrophobic) solvents, like for example chloroform. Please correct me if I am wrong.

[Edited on 2-2-2005 by Esplosivo]

Theory guides, experiment decides.
UpNatom
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-2-2005 at 13:14

Chloroform is the solvent of choice to seperate MeAm HCl and DiMeAm HCl in the synthesis from NH4Cl and HCHO. It dissolves the latter and not the former.

Quote:

Quaternary ethylamine hydrochloride

[?]....interesting.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 2-2-2005 at 14:07

It really is a good question, that leads me to: what all little forces determine solubility when weakly polar solvents are used? Why some salts more than others?

The dielectric constant of chloroform is rather higher than some other solvents, it is slightly polar.

Merck of course says that the di and tri are soluble, though not to what extent.
Quote:

Quaternary ethylamine hydrochloride

aka tetraethylammonium chloride.
UpNatom
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-2-2005 at 13:33

S.C. Wack, the nomenclature is wrong....a hydrochloride salt would of necessity have to have captured a proton from a hydrogen chloride molecule leaving an ammonium cation which then bonds with the resulting chloride anion. That's not correct in this case. This nomenclature he uses is confusing.
Anyway...if you have a mixture as described it might be fairly difficult to seperate them with solvents....the quats are well known as PTCs and are widely soluble in a range of polar and non-polar solvents. (how much quat is in this mixture?)
mick
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-2-2005 at 14:35
separation of ethylamines

If you can sort out the separation of amine hydrochlorides with chloroform you could be up for the Nobel prize.
Methylamine is a gas.
Ethylamine is just a liquid (b.p. 22 0C or something like that) add water and it is exothermic.
Be careful of triethanolamines, liver damage and stuff
mick

Go To Top