Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Free energy on eBay
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 10:43
Free energy on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4...

What does everyone think about this?
It says that the rod is made of "chemalloy", making it seem advanced to the regular person.
Highlights
"Produces Hydrogen and Oxygen from water with no electrical input"
"Put a Chemalloy rod in plain water and you have a battery of 0.55 volt "
*cough* *cough* *scam*
Interesting, it says that it includes the patent on CD, that would be an interesting patent to see.

ps I found the link to this item on powerlabs. I thought it would get more response here.

[Edited on 6-2-2005 by rogue chemist]

Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 11:06

Perhaps its a catalyst? Highly unlikely, as it is probably a hoax, but not impossible, right?

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 12:03

Well, my money's on "impossible".
I'm not impressed with his other items on sale. two of them seem to be illegal if I'm intrepreting this
http://forests.org/articles/reader.asp?linkid=35643
correctly
Does ebay have a policy on this sort of thing?

[Edited on 6-2-2005 by unionised]
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 14:03
feedback

FI you read the feed back there seems to be alot of praise for this ebayer. Many are repeat buyes though. Friends maybe. The negatives and neutrals where based on paypal issues, CD's of questionable quality, and one buyer said item was outright pathetic. I would stay clear of this seller. It seems the seller is appathetic towards complaints too!

Fellow molecular manipulator
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 15:20

What kind of idiot would buy the freely available patents this guy's offering for sale?
Mickhael
Hazard to Self

Mood: Terrificlawful

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 12:59

I've heard about this alloy before, it seems legit in the making of it...but ya PLEASE don't go buying off Ebay, the instructions for making the alloy are easily found (don't have the site offhand) And if your really enterested in trying it out, make it yourself, the materials are not all that cheap though from what I understand. I happen to have also watched videos of it breaking up the water...for any kind of real source of hydrogen/oxygen youd need a good amount of metal and quite a large tank of water....who knows if its worth it or not :P

\"I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer...\"
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 13:46

In order to produce both oxygen and hydrogen at the same time the metal would have to act as a cathode and anode at the same time and this is impossible.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
FrankRizzo
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 16:20

LOL...it's probably just a magnesium rod. Average Joe wouldn't understand the chemistry involved when he puts the rod into water, but he'd get his hydrogen (albeit with not co-evolution of O2), and it would burn fairly spectacularly.
I am a fish
undersea enforcer

Mood: Ichthyoidal

[*] posted on 8-2-2005 at 02:25

Quote:
Originally posted by neutrino
What kind of idiot would buy the freely available patents this guy's offering for sale?

Another point worth noting is that patents (in the US at least) are perfectly valid, regardless of whether the device works or not. The only necessary condition is that the idea is novel, non-obvious and (in principle) useful. Whilst they reject some applications on scientific grounds (such as manifest perpetual motion machines), in most cases they will happily accept the claimant's money.

[Edited on 8-2-2005 by I am a fish]

1f `/0u (4|\\| |234d 7|-|15, `/0u |234||`/ |\\|33d 70 937 0u7 /\\/\\0|23.
chloric1
International Hazard

sad.gif posted on 8-2-2005 at 10:04
Sad but true

Yeh, I have to remind myself of that everytime I encounter an exciting Chemistry patent. Nothing like experiencing utter failure after a couple hard hours of research and a couple more setting up. But, if you find a problem with a proceedure and you can jerry rig it to work then maybe you could patent the improvment if you get someone to foot the bill for the fees.:D:D

chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 8-2-2005 at 10:27
This is BS

Quote:

In different liquids, voltage varies from almost zero for petroleum to 1.1 volt for certain types of chili sauce

Lol, chilli sauce? That gotta be a joke. Capsaicin (the active ingredient) is an organic molecule, and won't make a difference to anything. It's just hot because we got receptors for those molecules.
At least this particular statement is wrong...and I agree , I can only see hydrogen evolving, but NOT H2 AND O2 at the same time.
I think it's just a simple electrochemical cell here, same with Cu and Zn electrodes. This electrode will surely be eaten up with time.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 8-2-2005 at 14:47

There's no end of scams designed to separate fools from their money. Saw this audiophile site the other day, selling a wooden knob (us$495) upgrade for their volume control (us$6000). Apparently the wood damps vibrations, leading to better detail in the sound :P

If it seems too good to be true, then it probably is.
Geomancer
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-2-2005 at 17:19

Active metals generate a considerable amount of energy reacting with water (releasing hydrogen). Other metals (and alloys) can adsorb large amounts of hydrogen. If you hide the hydrogen produced by reducing your active metal as a hydride, in theory you could use the excess energy to split more water, no? Although highly unlikely, is it inconceiveable that an exotic alloy could have a crystal structure that did all of these?

Yes, I suppose today is devil's advocate day. Next up, how the world was created 6000 years ago. Or I go to sleep. Or do school work. Yeah, one of those. Or something else.
sluiceman2004
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-12-2005 at 12:09
Chemalloy

I found the video clip at the bottom of this article to be of interest. I don't know if this concept is valid either. However, the system used in the video apparently utilizes a positive pressure feeding the intake manifold of the gasoline engine. I've ordered a pound of these rods and will find out for myself if hydrogen production can be coaxed from the rods. I'll try any number of salts with water and see what happens. The fact that the rods are an alloy, not a chemical compound, seem to suggest cathodes and annodes on a nanno scale.

http://www.flightoffire.com.au/chemalloy_recipe.html
chloric1
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-12-2005 at 17:36

Better you than me:D

neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 29-12-2005 at 09:39

Especially interesting in that patent is the recipes the author gives. In the first table (at about the middle of that page), he repeatedly makes the calculation that 1 lb = 2.2 kg. In the second table he does the same thing, except he also calculates that 132 mL = ½ gallon.

Apparently, mixing HCl solution to molten metal is also a good idea...

Go To Top