Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Laboratory Rack Mounts? - What is the sales name for this?
JefferyH
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-9-2014 at 12:00
Laboratory Rack Mounts? - What is the sales name for this?

I've seen these type of things in videos and in for instance the link below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2L-1L-3L-5L-8L-Jacketed-Glass-Chemic...

What are these rack/bar/mounting units called? And, what are the various adapters called? Those heavy duty ring stands with the bar attachment? I've been searching online for the past hour but have no idea what the sales name for these things is. I don't have the equipment or safety gear required to weld my own together, and I think PVC may be too weak in terms of structure.

I'm not looking for like a whole unit like this...just the base metal pieces so I can build my own configuration with wheels. It will certainly make it easier to mount my equipment in place for various reactions. Knowing what the joints are called will also be useful. I can't find any website that sells these individually. I'm assuming they won't be specifically labeled as lab mounts.
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-9-2014 at 12:18

that is a lab stand with extension clamps. and support ring clamps.the first i owned was homemade using adgustable electric conduit clamps tied to a rod and the stand was a pole lamp.

[Edited on 9-13-2014 by cyanureeves]
JefferyH
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-9-2014 at 12:46

Those were some of the first terms that I searched for. Can you then link me to a page selling those and/or accessory items to build one from the ground up, because searching for any of those terms you mentioned has not yielded any results, with other than finding the (very flimsy) black metal/rock, table top supports with rod holes.

cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-9-2014 at 13:45

just google united nuclear store.go to lab equipment section.

[Edited on 9-13-2014 by cyanureeves]
JefferyH
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-9-2014 at 14:14

None of that is there.....

In case I was being confusing, I am talking mostly about the overall frame of the set up, the joint pieces to connect the bars, as well as the bars themselves.

I've probably looked through 10 pages of google and at all of the well known lab stores (that I know of). Outside of the "chemistry world", I am not sure what this item would be called. It is basically a metal-bar frame on wheels and could potentially have many uses.

Edit -

I'm debating on whether or not using cut PVC pipe could suffice for supporting the structure. I just can't have it bending from the weight.

[Edited on 13-9-2014 by JefferyH]
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-9-2014 at 16:04

i think i know what you mean now. it is like a continuous checker pattern of rods where you can connect at any length and height. man that would be very high dollar and would probably need many figure 8 clamps to connect the rods.the figure 8 clamps are used to hold the clamps too. you can weld your own but if you can weld it then it most likely rust as mine did.rust is a major pain in the ass because it falls every where.pvc i think would be to thick and would most likely bend with heat when distilling.there are dedicated people here who have those types of set ups in their labs because i have seen the pics posted.i think i saw one on the "what does your lab look like" thread.you go for big my friend.
JefferyH
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-9-2014 at 16:09

They don't look like they would be very "high dollar". In the picture above they look like metal versions of basic PVC pipe/joint.

Many "whole units" are sold with the reaction flask + a bunch of additional glass ware, for $1000-2000, with the reaction flask costing 90% of that - that is china of course. $100-200 seems like a good investment for this sort of set up, but buying them individually might cost a little more.

I will go take a look at the thread.
Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-9-2014 at 16:12

You could fill your PVC with cement to improve its stiffness.
forgottenpassword
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-9-2014 at 16:16

Something like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Beauty-Salon-Spa-Tro...
JefferyH
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-9-2014 at 16:31

Building the frame would probably be the easier part... My delima is finding clamps that are strong enough to support 10-15 pounds of weight, and stay onto the PVC.

These clamps are big time heavy duty:
http://www.zoro.com/g/Clamps/00141176/?category=8385

but big time pricy....

Quote: Originally posted by Paddywhacker  
You could fill your PVC with cement to improve its stiffness.

The thought crossed my mind, or maybe perhaps putting hollow copper pipe that fit snugly inside of the pvc. Just gotta match the inner and outer diameters. I think I can get this all at the hardware store

I think a lot of hardware stores will cut that stuff for you as well.... I'll have to check that out tomorrow.

Quote: Originally posted by forgottenpassword  
Something like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Beauty-Salon-Spa-Tro...

That would tip right over xD.

[Edited on 14-9-2014 by JefferyH]
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 13-9-2014 at 18:46

PVC is not the most resistant material in the world. I think the word you might be looking for is called a "Laboratory Lattice". I'm sure a make-shift lab lattice could be made from some 1/2" OD aluminum rod (solid), and some 4 way connectors. The 4 way connectors would be expensive if purchased for the reason of creating a lattice but I am sure something in the plumbing section at a hardware store would suffice, and if it was cheap it could be replaced after wear and tear.

But yea my first ring stand was a plank of wood, some threaded rod bought from home-depot with a thick diameter, and the corresponding nut size with some washers.

JefferyH
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-9-2014 at 19:06

Quote: Originally posted by smaerd  
PVC is not the most resistant material in the world. I think the word you might be looking for is called a "Laboratory Lattice". I'm sure a make-shift lab lattice could be made from some 1/2" OD aluminum rod (solid), and some 4 way connectors. The 4 way connectors would be expensive if purchased for the reason of creating a lattice but I am sure something in the plumbing section at a hardware store would suffice, and if it was cheap it could be replaced after wear and tear.

But yea my first ring stand was a plank of wood, some threaded rod bought from home-depot with a thick diameter, and the corresponding nut size with some washers.

Lattice.... That's the word! Found a bunch of sites selling "Lattice Rods" and "Lattice Connectors", not too expensive either.

Do you have any suggestions where one might obtain some solid aluminum rods locally?
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 14-9-2014 at 13:55

Steel ! Steel is your Friend.

Get some 'I' section steel Joist/Girder and drill some holes in it.

Buy some re-bar or threaded bar (if Shiny is a concern) and some clamps.
Weld or just use Nuts for the threaded bar.

$10 and you have what you want : a sturdy and Large support structure.

Needs at least 1 bar sticking out Forwards (flat to the table) to support the weight.

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-9-2014 at 15:19

The 1/2" aluminum rod is not hard to find, you can also use other 1/2 rod, some hardware stores sell it. I have some of the lattice connector rods in a few styles, they $5 each, used, but in good condition. I can fit a bunch in a small flat rate box.

Bob
Muffn Man
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-9-2014 at 18:39
Lab frame assemblers

Came across these and I think that they are the cat's meow...

http://www.rotocon.com/

Go To Top