Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Rador Labs - the outreach collaborative!
bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 20-9-2014 at 09:29

OK As soon as I detirmine the exact amounts I'll edit the video.

I'm not a liar, I'm just an enthusiastic celebrant of opposite day.
I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 20-9-2014 at 21:53

Well, as for our event planning, what if we had a G+ hangout? We'd have to coordinate and put ourselves out more, but once we amass somewhat of a following, it would be quite interesting to do.

As for event planning itself, we do everything on UTC so as not to confuse everyone.

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 20-9-2014 at 22:18

OK--I am a SLOWWWW learner--been rickrolled twice now with that fekking FB link LMFAO

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 22-9-2014 at 17:41

Now that I have a Microsoft account and all that jazz, we should be able to collaborate through OneNote. If you have a Microsoft account you'll get access to OneNote online, and you can download it free if you have Windows 8.1, Windows RT, an Android phone, an iPhone, or a Windows phone.

If you want access please send me your email address.

[Edited on 23.9.2014 by Brain&Force]

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 25-9-2014 at 04:54

what age range is this aimed at?.............You tube vids with music :( beginners need words or decent subtitles held there long enough to sink in.
Not everyone will like your music choice, so you limit the audience. I got halfway in and switched off, that got me thinking...............why did I switch off when I could have just muted it? because without music there wasnt anything else, subtitles or voice always.
Beginners and especially youngsters like myself surf you tube for information. What did I learn? You can make different colours by adding something to something else.
Next point EDTA was in capitals so I assumed important...........But I never got told what it was or what it meant. You made a complex, whats a complex? what kind of complex? To me you made coloured water.

This is not trying to be negative, actually I wrote this straight away because I wanted to get down everything that I thought or felt. Maybe I misunderstand your goals, as a intro vid for your others it would work, but instructional vids need to be instructional, if you want to get people into chemistry you cant straddle lines. By this I mean do a vid with no info whatsoever no names nothing and that fine, do a instructional video with words and explanation thats fine, but do a cross between the two.

I am in favor of the project, Good in depth instruction showing what can be done with limited resource will get people started.
Just my opinions and if I could help I would, maybe I could do a vid on burning down curtains while distilling petrol (dont ask). Or maybe how to transfer 25Kg of sodium hydroxide without gloves and get burnt!
Or my favorite so far..............how to forget the hotplate is on and then lean on it :D burning the recently healed burnt hand.
confused
Hazard to Others

Mood: tired

[*] posted on 25-9-2014 at 05:18

I like what im seeing so far, maybe a few videos, on basic lab safety and chemical handling for the unintiated? :D
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 25-9-2014 at 06:55

Quote: Originally posted by confused  
I like what im seeing so far, maybe a few videos, on basic lab safety and chemical handling for the unintiated? :D

I second this!! and if you could do it two weeks ago I would grateful lol. A demo on eye protection would be good, let me explain.......

Despite all the warnings about sodium hydroxide pellets and blindness if it gets in your eyes etc etc etc, I hardly ever wear them. I am 14 I am invincible, I have cancer so god isnt going to take away my sight as well........................
Two days ago Dad came home with some pig eyes from work, they were really fresh and clear. He said nothing except to place a tiny prill of sodium hydroxide onto one of the eyes.
I have hardly taken my safety glasses off since! So again it depends on what ages your aiming at, if you want youngsters (like me), please feel free to ask me stuff. Please dont assume young people are like you or you were once 14 so can remember.
Even my dad says he dosnt remember being this bad lol, but my Gran says he was far worse!
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 25-9-2014 at 13:58

Quote: Originally posted by Little_Ghost_again  
what age range is this aimed at?.............You tube vids with music :( beginners need words or decent subtitles held there long enough to sink in.
Not everyone will like your music choice, so you limit the audience. I got halfway in and switched off, that got me thinking...............why did I switch off when I could have just muted it? because without music there wasnt anything else, subtitles or voice always.
Beginners and especially youngsters like myself surf you tube for information. What did I learn? You can make different colours by adding something to something else.
Next point EDTA was in capitals so I assumed important...........But I never got told what it was or what it meant. You made a complex, whats a complex? what kind of complex? To me you made coloured water.

This is not trying to be negative, actually I wrote this straight away because I wanted to get down everything that I thought or felt. Maybe I misunderstand your goals, as a intro vid for your others it would work, but instructional vids need to be instructional, if you want to get people into chemistry you cant straddle lines. By this I mean do a vid with no info whatsoever no names nothing and that fine, do a instructional video with words and explanation thats fine, but do a cross between the two.

I am in favor of the project, Good in depth instruction showing what can be done with limited resource will get people started.
Well, you're in luck, because I plan on starting a YouTube series for Rador Labs that will attempt do pretty much everything that you just described!
The first video of the series will be about setting up a lab without the luxury of dedicated space, and the rest of the series will be videos about good reactions for beginners to attempt, complete with information about exactly what is happening in the reaction explained in an easy to understand way. They will also explain where the needed chemicals can be obtained and any substitutions that are acceptable, if applicable.

Right now the only thing standing in my way is that it's been really busy around my house lately, and my current makeshift lab space is a mess for reasons out of my control. Once all of that gets sorted out, I should be able to start with the videos, and maybe even have a new one every couple weeks.

Also, since I am still far from being one of the more experienced members here, I'd definitely want to have my videos checked by someone more experienced.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
bismuthate
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-9-2014 at 15:06

I can't get any better audio but I can add in subtitles when i'm back from my trip.
Also I still am 14. That's why my video wasn't too good. (no experience whatsoever):)

I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 25-9-2014 at 15:40

Anyone know of good, FREE, video editing software? I've tried several editors but several of them are hard to use. Many of us would appreciate the recommendations.

gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 25-9-2014 at 15:44

Not necessarily video editing software, but http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/ has a free license for software, with the software changing everyday. I've noticed some video editing software on there before, so if you keep you're eye out you may find some professional stuff for free.
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 25-9-2014 at 16:42

How about "First Reactions" for the name of the YouTube series I was talking about? I'm not attached to it, I just thought of it now. If anyone has any better ideas, feel free to share!
I'm hoping that these videos will be helpful to beginners, and in turn help boost our reputation by being able to make chemistry videos both interesting and informative.

Videos about more complicated and advanced that don't cover all of the basics (balancing equation, stoichiometry, etc) that these do can be part of another series.

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 25-9-2014 at 16:58

It's your series, slap yourself silly! :D

Definitely do things amateur chemistry related. Don't worry about stoichiometry and balancing equations, as there are PLENTY of videos for that.

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 25-9-2014 at 17:26

Quote: Originally posted by Brain&Force  
Definitely do things amateur chemistry related. Don't worry about stoichiometry and balancing equations, as there are PLENTY of videos for that.
There are plenty of videos for that, sure, but I think that having it combined with a video of the actual reaction will make it more interesting and be a better way to teach people since they can apply it to something real that they can try themselves.

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 25-9-2014 at 19:51

Oh, sure. I'm just saying you don't need to make it the focus of your video.

Did you get the OneNote invitation to work properly? If not we can just use a Google doc for collaboration, I guess.

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 27-9-2014 at 19:18

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?page=view&resid=4F69734A...

Here's the OneNote I created. Just click the link and you can view. U2U me for an edit link.

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 27-9-2014 at 19:36

Quote: Originally posted by Brain&Force  
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?page=view&resid=4F69734A...

Here's the OneNote I created. Just click the link and you can view. U2U me for an edit link.
Still requires a Microsoft login to access it. Mine is still not working. Trying to recover my password says an account doesn't exist for my email address. Trying to make a new one says that there is already an account with that email address. An endless cycle of nonsense.

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 29-9-2014 at 05:01

Why don't you compile a list of members and post it here. (BTW everyone, not a part of rador labs ATM).

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 29-9-2014 at 13:07

Sure. That would be me, zts16, bismuthate, Tdep, prof_genius, No Tears only Dreams Now, gdflp, arkoma, TheChemiKid, elementcollector1, and careysub (I think).

People I'd like to hear from, as they may be good contributors: Mabus, MrHomeScientist, woelen, UnintentionalChaos, Gooferking Science, and deltaH.

[Edited on 29.9.2014 by Brain&Force]

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 30-9-2014 at 19:41

New video:

<iframe sandbox width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VG0H5lXT7yk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bismuthate
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 09:11

great! Are anymore demos going to be where you are?
P.S. I did this for a bunch of kids and at first they thought it wouldn't work but then it blew their minds.

prof_genius
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 09:39

For editing, a student (K-12/Uni) can get Autodesk Smoke, this can only run on a mac and it has a watermark (It may have been removed). You could also use Imovie or get adobe creative cloud.
http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/all
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 09:51

Unfortunately I lack Apple devices. I'll still be looking around.

I'm joining the American Chemical Society Student Affiliates, so hopefully I'll be doing a lot of demos! We'll also be getting visiting professors and other goodies.

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 9-10-2014 at 09:39

So I joined the ACCSA...

One of their main projects is outreach, and they visit middle schools in our area. They put on some sort of a play, the details of which I do not remember that clearly, but it involves some sort of a superhero that uses chemistry to save someone.

Anyway, they're looking for volunteers to do demo design, and I signed up for that. So I'll have time to myself where I can mess around in the lab and find interesting things to do, in the hope that they'll be included in

There will definitely be videos coming up in the future. I believe I'll be in the lab on certain Fridays, and I'll post photos here, as well as video notices.

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 21-10-2014 at 17:47

SAVE THE DATE:

Rador Labs is having a Skype chat on 1 November (2 Nov if you're in Aus), the time will be posted soon.

Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top