Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Table of VoD's of most Common Explosives
Lord Emrone
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-10-2010 at 09:35

Quote: Originally posted by PHILOU Zrealone  

*NH4NO3/CH3-NO2/H2SO4 conc mix of Axt contains discretely CNA (generated from NH4NO3 and H2SO4)...so in there there is NM/CNA binary mix it displays a higher VOD and brisance than NM!

So this should work with nitrobenzene too (instead of nitromethane) ? And if so, how safe is it ?
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 13-10-2010 at 11:36

Quote:
And if so, how safe is it ?

Safe???
A Sprengel explosive called Hellhoffite consisting of 78% HNO3 and 28% nitrobenzene was used in blasting operations about a century ago . . .
It was nearly as strong as dynamite but was dangerously sensitive to shock!

quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 13-10-2010 at 15:44

SAFE????*

Nitrobenzene is a wonderfully toxic material in & of itself. Hellhoffite made it into a charming little classic entitled "Explosives 100 years ago" (Robert Hopler, ISEE Press) that has advertisements and info from the engineering & mining concerns of the late 19th century. {A bit of marketing & problems interlaced with explosive disasters of the day}: "The most horrid septic problems arose from chips of bone being driven into those left with less than lethal injuries".
Hissingnoise was very gentle when he used the expression "dangerously sensitive to shock".

However the Sprenge concept was an interesting one & was very successful in KinePak and KineStik. There is even a new one now that a ready to mix watergel in two parts. (Journal of Explos Eng Sept/Oct 2010 vol 27 #5) that MIGHT be marketed by Austin Powder for open pit uses within this coming year.

* Scorpions can be frozen in solid blocks of ice and maintained there for quite some time. When the block of ice is melted the scorpion is revived and alive!
Scorpions were even found at many "ground zero" blast sites before nuclear testing went underground. There, alive in radiation that continued to be impassable and the ground in many areas fuzzed as glass. Humans are such a sensitive life form.

http://wild-facts.com/2010/04/26/wild-fact-825-todays-fact-m...

[Edited on 13-10-2010 by quicksilver]

Lord Emrone
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-10-2010 at 05:01

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  
Quote:
And if so, how safe is it ?

Safe???
A Sprengel explosive called Hellhoffite consisting of 78% HNO3 and 28% nitrobenzene was used in blasting operations about a century ago . . .
It was nearly as strong as dynamite but was dangerously sensitive to shock!

78 % + 28 % is not 100 %
Or do you mean not concentrated NA and very diluted Nitrobenzene ?
If The NA is diluted enough (I have 60% NA) wouldn't the mixture be safe enough ?
And ; How do people here know that ANNMSA is stronger than ANNM ?
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-10-2010 at 05:35

Yes sorry, it should of course be 72% HNO3!

Quote:

Or do you mean not concentrated NA and very diluted Nitrobenzene ?

Nitrobenzene acts as a fuel in these mixtures - any diluent for NB is likely also to be a fuel.
And for complete detonation near anhydrous HNO3 is required.
Quote:
If The NA is diluted enough (I have 60% NA) wouldn't the mixture be safe enough ?

A 40% water content would make the mix so weakly explosive it would likely not be detonable.
Quote:
How do people here know that ANNMSA is stronger than ANNM ?

Fucked if I know!

Jimbo Jones
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-10-2010 at 10:31

Quote: Originally posted by Lord Emrone  
How do people here know that ANNMSA is stronger than ANNM ?

ANNM = Ammonium Nitrate & Nitromethane

ANNMSA = Ammonium Sulfate & Nitromethane & Nitric acid.

It's obvious!
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-10-2010 at 11:01

It isn't obvious to me at all.
Which composition do you believe is more powerful and what's your rationale for that belief?

Lord Emrone
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-10-2010 at 15:15

I once detted ANNMSA and it exploded ,which surprised me. It didn't seem stronger than straight ANNM, which is much easier and healthier to make.
I don't think the mixture would work with nitrobenzene instead of NM, since my attempts to det AN-Nitrobenzene failed. It's a strange assumption anyway, to think that CNA is exchangeable with SA - AN
Jimbo Jones
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-10-2010 at 09:07

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  
It isn't obvious to me at all.
Which composition do you believe is more powerful and what's your rationale for that belief?

ANNM is simple oxidizer & fuel explosive mixture. The nitromethane has explosive properties too, which boost the mixture beyond the different ANFO compositions. Maybe the AN somewhat acidic characteristics acts like sensiting agent to the NM, but this is just speculations.

In the case of ANNMSA we have primitive, but very effective Sprengel type of explosive composition in which the ammonium sulfate acts only as a filer. The density of the liquid explosives is another factor, but I’ll bet you already knew this.

Sorry for the bad English, too much work and too much rakia these days.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top